Winter fuel payment petition

Options

Comments

• summerof0763
    Options
    _shel wrote: »
    Exactly. I did not sign the petition because I dont think it was thought through or correctly worded.

I have 3 disabilities, DH has two. We both work full time and did go on holiday last year. Yes the WFP would help my energy bills are huge, many would say that how could anyone not benefit from extra money, but it's just not fair to pay it to everyone. Many dont 'need' it and should not get it. I dont think a blanket policy of paying it to all disabled people is the correct thing to do for disabled people or the public purse.

Being disabled does not equal = unable, living in the worst poverty, incapable of earning, For every disabled person in the country.
    not all of us can work,so yes i think we should get wfp
    i came into the world with nothing,and guess what? i still have it!!!:p
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 18 January 2010 at 5:35PM
    Options
    i totally agree krisskross is determind to look down on anyone disabled or not!!
    but dont forget she as worked all h life and paid her taxes so us mere dare i say humans can claim something for which we are entitled too,would love to see her cope with a disability or an illness that disables her!!
    £250 wfp would make a MASSIVE difference to my circumstances in regards to paying my fuel bills.
    never mind we can go on a cruise instead soak up the rays,instead in real life we have to freeze or do without food at this time of year!!
    ps i noticed she could not answer my last post surprise surprise

£250 a year is under £5 per week as krisskross keeps pointing out, not a fortune and nowhere near as much as even the lowest DLA. I hate to say this and know I will get flamed for doing so but is there really anyone who can't budget a fiver a week? Surely people can cut down somewhere else? Make a chicken do an extra meal (one chicken does two of us for four meals).

Also as krisskross says, plenty of people with disabilities do go on cruises, why do you think they have wheelchair accessible cabins. Not all people with disabilities are poor.

Even the poorest, as I said, are kept above the poverty line by the Government (same as pensioners).
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • summerof0763
    Options
    £250 is under £5 per week as krisskross keeps pointing out, not a fortune and nowhere near as much as even the lowest DLA. I hate to say this and know I will get flamed for doing so but is there really anyone who can't budget a fiver a week? Surely people can cut down somewhere else? Make a chicken do an extra meal (one chicken does two of us for four meals).

Also as krisskross says, plenty of people with disabilities do go on cruises, why do you think they have wheelchair accessible cabins. Not all people with disabilities are poor.

Even the poorest, as I said, are kept above the poverty line by the Government (same as pensioners).
    really i have £4.50 to my name till thurs.
    am afraid to say no i dont have a spare fiver at the end of the week,not all people with disabilities nor disabled are well off,just think its a bit unjust to rub our noses in it,considering its a thread about wfp for people who are disabled or have disabling illnesses etc
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    I don't think everyone is well off, summer, but neither is everyone poor.

Is the £4.50 after you have paid all your bills? I'm not talking about a 'spare' fiver, I'm talking of budgeting bits and pieces here and there from other things so there is the £5 per week for fuel that the heating allowance would give. For example, something as simple as not buying newspapers gives about £3 a week.

I'm really not trying to do anyone down, my son and his girlfriend both have invisible disabiliies (she gets low rate dla) so I do know what difficulties peoiple can have.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • jazabelle
    jazabelle Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    Options

Not always - I'm way below the poverty line, and I get no benefits. I got turned down for DLA, even though I can barely walk and have high care needs. Some of us fall through the net.
    "There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something better tomorrow." - Orison Swett Marden
  • DX2
    DX2 Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    jazabelle wrote: »
    Not always - I'm way below the poverty line, and I get no benefits. I got turned down for DLA, even though I can barely walk and have high care needs. Some of us fall through the net.
    Have you appealed the decision then?
    *SIGH*
    :D
  • jazabelle
    Options
    DX2 wrote: »
    Have you appealed the decision then?

Yes, it got turned down at Tribunal as they said I could drive, which made no sense.

I've got a lot worse since then and have put in a new claim with a Care Advisor.
    "There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something better tomorrow." - Orison Swett Marden
  • DX2
    DX2 Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, it got turned down at Tribunal as they said I could drive, which made no sense.

I've got a lot worse since then and have put in a new claim with a Care Advisor.
    Good luck!
    *SIGH*
    :D
  • jazabelle
    Options
    DX2 wrote: »
    Good luck!

Thank you! I have my fingers crossed.
  • summerof0763
    Options
    i can sympathise with you,thereare many beyond poverty line and really strugle on what little we have to live on
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport