Wedding dress cancellation

Hi, I’m new to this site do not sure I’m posting this in the right place.

I started shopping for a wedding dress last month, found one I liked, but the deposit was 50% which was more than I had anticipated paying and I only had 25% of the total cost of the dress at the time, so I paid the bridal shop the 25% and signed a contract (which I was not given a copy of) and was advised the dress wouldn’t be ordered in until I paid the remainder of the deposit. The following week I went back in to pay the other 25% but saw another dress by a different designer while I was in the store tried it on, decided I preferred it and ordered that one instead, I didn’t sign anything at that time, so I’m assuming that what I signed the week previous wasn’t the actual order form as I wasn’t asked for my signature again, rather a contract drawn up by the bridal boutique.

Fast forward a month later and I have changed my mind again and have decided to go with a completely different style of dress. I have advised the bridal boutique that I would like to cancel my order and have accepted that I would lose my 50% deposit. However the bridal boutique are insisting that I have to pay for the dress in full and come to collect it when it arrives in store

What are my rights? Is the contract legally binding?

I really don’t want the bridal boutique to take this to a small claims court as I am looking to get on the property ladder in the next couple of years and I can’t see a mortgage provider accepting me if I have a CCJ

Comments

• Katapolt
    Katapolt Posts: 291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Short answer without seeing anything is probably yes - you have to pay for the whole dress. They advised you that when you paid 50% they would order the dress. You paid two lots of 25%, ordered a dress , and have now changed your mind.

They are not liable to pay for the rest of the dress that wouldn't have been ordered without your payment and request.

The only way to really know though is to talk to the shop, and see if there's anything they may be able to do as a goodwill. Sometimes they will allow a swap, sometimes they don't, but you will only know if you ask.
  • Without seeing the contract its difficult to understand what you have signed.

Because many bridal shops don't order dresses until the full deposit is paid,that is usually on the assumption that you will pay the remainder on collection.
    Its not an off the peg dress so if you don't purchase it,the shop will have to purchase it an potentially its the type of thing that then ends up on their sale rail.

Why are you changing your mind so much...3 dresses....umm once you've chosen step away....bridal contracts are not as simple as buying something and then changing your mind for a full refund.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • As you were happy to loose your 50% deposit I think your best bet is to collect it and try to resell it for half the price. Or maybe ask the bridal salon if they would consider putting it on their sale rail at 50% off for you to cover the amount you then need to pay. I think this may only work if the 3rd dress you are going to buy is also from there as obviously they have a vested interest to help you.

I echo the concerns about you already changing your mind so many times! You may be best waiting first until you are certain of your choice
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure