Not charged for Gas

Options
scoey8
scoey8 Posts: 110 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
Hi all, asking for some advice on behalf of a family member.
She moved into a council flat 6 years ago and basically has never paid for her gas.
It is a pre paid meter setup, the meter is turning (quite fast) but the screen is blank.
She has been given annual safety inspections by the council but nothing has been said and also received a twice yearly rebate from British gas!
I asked why she has never mentioned it and she said after she left it for a year she was scared of getting a massive bill, silly really as she now probably faces a much much bigger one. But anyway that is the situation at present.
Does anyone know what is going on and why she isn't having to top up the meter? Also what is she likely to have to repay, from looking online it seems they can charge back 6 years?

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,857 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The meter is either broken or has possibly been bypassed by the previous tenant. The safety checks will not look at the meter. She needs to speak to BG and get this sorted. In civil law they can only go back 6 years but if they decide to go the criminal route .........
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Has she received any bills within this time? There is a time limit for back billing if no bills have been sent out, can't remember but think it is 12 months.

Does she have an online account? If so, she could look at it to see what it says.

Possibly there is so much credit on the meter from a previous tenant, she is still benefiting from their generosity. It is more likely the meter is broken. Has no-one ever been to read it?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    Has she received any bills within this time? There is a time limit for back billing if no bills have been sent out, can't remember but think it is 12 months.

The consumer has to actually ask for a bill before the Back Billing Code kicks in.
  • scoey8
    Options
    No she hasn't ever had the meter read. Also has no online account. Is there a way to tell if the meter has been bypassed?
  • Smodlet
    edited 6 April 2018 at 1:08PM
    Options
    scoey8 wrote: »
    No she hasn't ever had the meter read. Also has no online account. Is there a way to tell if the meter has been bypassed?

Yeah. Contact the provider and ask them to read the meter. Ensure they know to send someone who can tell if it has been bypassed.

Seriously, who lets something like this slide for six weeks, never mind six years? If she is not capable of understanding the implications it might be time to consider PoA.
  • scoey8
    Options
    I think the problem was she had little money single mother etc. and the first few months it was a bonus, then she was worried about getting a massive bill to pay in one go, buried her head in the sand and it spiraled out of control. I agree it's foolish but can understand how it has happened. She is now back on her feet works full time etc. and is a good person, she wants to make things right but is scared of having to pay thousands in a short space of time which she simply doesn't have.
  • PennineAcute
    PennineAcute Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It makes you think of the common sense that BG have. I am wondering why they are not thinking why your family member has not topped up in 6 years.
  • Smodlet
    Options
    It makes you think of the common sense that BG have. I am wondering why they are not thinking why your family member has not topped up in 6 years.

"Common sense" in the same sentence as BG/energy company of choice? Can tell you're a newbie even without the tag. :) Welcome!
  • Smodlet
    Options
    scoey8 wrote: »
    I think the problem was she had little money single mother etc. and the first few months it was a bonus, then she was worried about getting a massive bill to pay in one go, buried her head in the sand and it spiraled out of control. I agree it's foolish but can understand how it has happened. She is now back on her feet works full time etc. and is a good person, she wants to make things right but is scared of having to pay thousands in a short space of time which she simply doesn't have.

Really need Hengus or House Martin for this but I'm pretty sure, from reading their posts, there is a duty on energy companies to read meters at least every 2 years. If the meter has been bypassed, BG may have no knowledge of a supply to the address in question; they may think it is with another supplier or unoccupied. The part that intrigues me is the bi-yearly refund which does seem to indicate they are aware of an account for that address.

As you seem to know, OP, burying one's head in the sand is not the way to deal with matters financial (I am sure we are all guilty of it in some aspect of our lives) Can only recommend this lady takes the bull by the horns and confronts BG with their neglect of reading her meter and goes from there. There are provisions in place with all major suppliers regarding payment plans/difficulty paying bills, think this is an Ofgem requirement, so the more information the lady has before she calls BG, the better.

She has been delinquent in not addressing this issue but so, from what you have written, have BG. A solution can be found but she will have to instigate it unless she wants you to do it for her. She can call them, nominate you to speak for her and pass the phone to you; this satisfies the requirements of the Data Protection Act/whatever it's called now. HTH.
  • PennineAcute
    PennineAcute Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Newbie. Been called a few things in my life, but never that one. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure