Vodafone 4.1% price rise

Options

Comments

• boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The RPi scam is a bit of kick in the ****, its a shame OFCOM didn't block it.
    Its just a good way for companies to offer an appealing price at the start then get back a bit more later on, there is no need for them to do it. We've had more 20 years without them doing it and they didn't go bust, but people keep signing up to them, as long as they do, they will remain.
  • overpricedcoffee
    Options
    boatman wrote: »
    The RPi scam is a bit of kick in the ****, its a shame OFCOM didn't block it.
    Its just a good way for companies to offer an appealing price at the start then get back a bit more later on, there is no need for them to do it. We've had more 20 years without them doing it and they didn't go bust, but people keep signing up to them, as long as they do, they will remain.

I remember them days when a contract signed meant you paid that amount for the duration no matter what, I think we have got so used to RPI now that we kind of accept it being the norm now.

If masses of people left EE, Vodafone, O2 etc when their contract is up for renewal to go to sim only or PAYG then they may take notice but I do not think that will ever happen.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We've had more 20 years without them doing it and they didn't go bust, but people keep signing up to them, as long as they do, they will remain.

RPI increases have been around for years, this isn’t a new thing.
    ====
  • boatman
    edited 16 February 2018 at 11:39PM
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    RPI increases have been around for years, this isn!!!8217;t a new thing.
    There were increases in call costs as |I remember, but RPI was not written in to the contract like they are now with a fixed yearly RPI increase. On the whole you paid the same price from start to finish, apart from T-mobile in 2013 who got it so wrong...

Is this right for introducing yearly RPI increases:
    o2 2013, EE 2014, then the others, 'three' was May2015, Vodafone 2017.

So give or take, 20 years, 1995-2015 without RPI increases written in to mobile contracts. For the most part, companies used to just put the price up when people took out new contracts, the way I think the vast majority of people think it should be.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There were RPI increases, but it was more just a figure and an excuse to try and raise prices, but not written in to the contract like they are now.

Is this right:
    o2 2013, EE 2014, then the others, 'three' was May2015, Vodafone 2017.

So give or take, 20 years, 1995-2015 without RPI increases written in to mobile contracts. For the most part, companies used to just put the price up when people took out new contracts, the way I think the vast majority of people think it should be.

EE (including Orange and T-Mobile) was earlier than 2014, I remember getting penalty free terminations twice, and the second was 2012/2013 (long thread was made on here) as we mostly all went to CISAS for adjudication (and won).

They had rolled over and just cancelled contracts the first time which was at least a year or 2 prior to that.
    ====
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Stretlow wrote: »
    Thanks for that.. so i'll leave it until 1st april until they've finished having everyone over then get myself in a 12 month sim only deal...

12 months is the minimum term only, you'd have to be very careful with giving your notice to cancel/porting out so as to not end up paying (or paying it for very little time) the increase in April 2019. It's an annual thing now, not just a 'we may.'

With the 30 day contracts, customers are hearing about it far enough in advance to leave before the rise if they don't like it, so aren't tied to it even if the contract has the RPI clause.

That said the 30 day ones are more expensive than an equivalent 12 month deal, so going with one of the virtual operators who don't have the clause may be best. Pay As You Go bundles are also worth looking at.
  • boatman
    edited 17 February 2018 at 1:57AM
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    EE (including Orange and T-Mobile) was earlier than 2014, I remember getting penalty free terminations twice, and the second was 2012/2013 (long thread was made on here) as we mostly all went to CISAS for adjudication (and won).

They had rolled over and just cancelled contracts the first time which was at least a year or 2 prior to that.
    I remember, I was one of them, I won but they didn't back date it, so a bit of a hollow victory. Their increases were probably the start of it but it wasn't a fixed month RPI yearly increase as it is now, more of a 'try it on' and hope for the best! O2 were the first to make it an annual event written in to the contract.

Found this, think that was the start of the fun:
    "This is not the first time Orange and T-Mobile have introduced mid-contract price rises. In January 2012, Orange hit existing pay monthly customers with a 4.34% rise, while T-Mobile increased its prices by 3.7% in May 2012."

Which? executive director Richard Lloyd said: "It is outrageous that Everything Everywhere is forcing T-Mobile and Orange customers to collectively pay almost £52m more a year for mobile phone contracts they thought were fixed. We want Ofcom to confirm it will take tough action against these price rises."
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There is a sleight of hand going on, whereby price increases are against RPI but pay increases are compared to CPI.
  • boatman
    Options
    prowla wrote: »
    There is a sleight of hand going on, whereby price increases are against RPI but pay increases are compared to CPI.
    Yes definitely, I guess I wouldn't expect anything less from them, but its allowed, the only defence is not to sign up to them, can't see them changing it.
  • Stretlow
    Stretlow Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    12 months and 30 days for 3 and 30 days for everyone else I believe

I've just spoken to three and they're saying that the 12 months are included in the increase
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure