Inexperienced Saver, how to maximise return?

Hello there,
Here's the blurb...
This is my first thread on this site and indeed first entre into a confusing world. I'm a student who currently works as a paralegal. I'm looking to self-finance my final legal qualification and currently have 5k in my current account, 40k in savings for a future deposit. I'm looking to reach 16k by next September in order to begin the course.

As such I have been considering taking out two £1,500 Classic Plus accounts with TSB paying 5% AER, then looking to upgrade my current Halifax account to the saver version paying 2.5% AER as I transfer my monthly savings.

I have looked into P2P lending and higher risk returns, but feel this is currently a wise move on account of my age, lack of means and high risk.

If anyone could provide any finance to a headless chicken, it would be most appreciated.

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,995 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Best places to start are the two quick links further up the page, titled 'how to start saving' and 'top savings accounts'.
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,968 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Maximise returns?
    returns[SIZE="14[FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]"][/SIZE]
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 September 2018 at 4:33AM
    As you have near term plans for this money you are doing the right thing by getting as much zero risk interest from your bank accounts. Rather than looking for risky return, do a budget so that you can find ways to cut expenses and maximize your saving. You should also be contributing to a workplace pension, if you have one, and in there you can take a lot more risk as you won't need that money for a few decades, so look into multi-asset funds with quite high percentages of equities.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • This is how to make returns big
    Returns
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,039 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    This is how to make returns big
    Returns
    So now you're actively managing returns? I thought you were a passive kind of guy ;)
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,113 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I have looked into P2P lending and higher risk returns, but feel this is currently a wise move on account of my age, lack of means and high risk.

Presume you mean' not a wise move '
    In which case I would agree with you . Firstly you should never invest in anything you feel uncomfortable with or do not understand properly.
    Secondly any investment in relatively high risk investments ( like P2P) should only be a small part of any investments , not the main one.
    As Bostonerimis said you should at some point , think about a pension for the long term .
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I am astonished that your savings have reached such a high level. Did you work full-time (and save) before going to university? In any case, in that respect you have done very well and probably could teach a few people on this board some lessons (rather than the other way round).

My main comment is that at this stage perhaps you should spend LESS time and effort on money. What matters most is that you get a training contract (if you are aiming at becoming a solicitor) or pupillage (for the bar). Competition for these places is fierce, so you need something outstanding on your CV. Getting a high grade for your degree, ideally with a prize for something, would do you no harm at all, and that takes a great deal of time and effort. It is possible, just possible, that you might get one of the rare positions where your future employer pays for you to do the LPC: if so, the time you spent studying would have shown a far greater return than any other investment open to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure