Barclays card pre-approved but “waiting for decision”

Options
Hi guys,

Did anyone get the “pre-approval” with Barclay Initial eligibility check but then a “can’t decide” message when actually submitting the application? What is the difference between the 2 stages?

After submitting that application I went back and checked my credit ratings at the 3 agencies. Experian shows “Excellent” and the other two shows “Fair”. It’s true that I don’t have much credit history - if one mobile contract can be called that .., and I’m not on electorial roll either, but if it is the reason that they couldn’t decide, I would assume the eligibility check should not be “pre-apprved”, should it?

Does anyone have some idea how I bombed the application? :(

Comments

• Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A soft check only takes them so far. When they do the hard check during full application it may turn up information they want to check.

It is quite common for that to happen.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Not being on the electoral role is a big negative factor
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't think there has ever been a UK credit card with the name "Barclays Card" - So you should maybe ensure you have not handed all your details to a scammer who is keeping you hanging-on whilst they clean you out?
  • GM1880
    GM1880 Posts: 169 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I had the same referral with Barclaycard, not particularly unusual, especially if you have a notice of correction, a CIFAS or if you're not on the electoral roll etc?

Just an underwriter having a manual look.

Any reason why you're not on the electoral roll?
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    pogofish wrote: »
    I don't think there has ever been a UK credit card with the name "Barclays Card" - So you should maybe ensure you have not handed all your details to a scammer who is keeping you hanging-on whilst they clean you out?

They didn’t say “Barclays Card” though, they said “Barclays card” and it is indeed a card that is ultimately provided by Barclays.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    boo_star wrote: »
    They didn’t say “Barclays Card” though, they said “Barclays card” and it is indeed a card that is ultimately provided by Barclays.

Well actually it’s marketed as “barclaycard”. But ho hum
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    !!! wrote: »

That’s why I said “ultimately.”
  • okigen
    okigen Posts: 88 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I had the same referral with Barclaycard, not particularly unusual, especially if you have a notice of correction, a CIFAS or if you're not on the electoral roll etc?

Just an underwriter having a manual look.

Any reason why you're not on the electoral roll?

I!!!8217;m not British or Common Wealth citizens so cannot vote :(

Though a few friends of mine were in the same situation, but somehow had no issue getting credit cards and morgages ...
  • Emily_Joy
    Emily_Joy Posts: 1,240 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    okigen wrote: »
    Did anyone get the “pre-approval” with Barclay Initial eligibility check but then a “can’t decide” message when actually submitting the application? What is the difference between the 2 stages?

Does anyone have some idea how I bombed the application? :(

There is nothing wrong with your application. They will check it manually and ask to visit a branch and to bring a passport, a residence permit, and a proof of address. No need to worry. You will hear back from Barclays within a week. If you don't - just give them a call, and ask about the status of your application.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    !!! wrote: »

Either way, the only cards bearing the name "Barclays" are IIRC bank cards, not credit cards - so still outwith the remit of this forum.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure