The Broker Blues Thread

Comments

• kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,763 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    The only regular stuff we do on paper these days is Nationwide ports, NewBuy and when their daft online postal address system decides the property has a different address to the one on the title deeds and it has to be done manually as a result.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • GMS
    GMS Posts: 5,388 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Could be worse. You could be constantly chasing a valuer for his comments on an electrical report he has had since last Thursday!

Only Moyes' impending sacking keeping me smiling today!
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • kingstreet
    GMS wrote: »
    Could be worse. You could be constantly chasing a valuer for his comments on an electrical report he has had since last Thursday
    I'll ignore that other comment. :D

I'll "see" your electrical report and I'll raise you an "impact of proposed HS2 route," which will not be closer than 2.3km from the property.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,442 Forumite
    GMS wrote: »
    Could be worse. You could be constantly chasing a valuer for his comments on an electrical report he has had since last Thursday!

Only Moyes' impending sacking keeping me smiling today!

Moyes is a 'shoe in' for Head of Intermediaries at a major lender.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Keekles
    Keekles Posts: 154 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Had a client last night sign all TOBs, Decs etc. with a lender, and just before submitting the FMA decided to query whether or not their discharged bankruptcy would affect the application. :wall:

Pretty easy to place elsewhere but when I ask if you've ever been subject to bankruptcy, IVA or had any defaults / arrears I should be aware of... :T
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,727 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    edited 26 February 2014 at 5:17PM
    - House down valued by £25k because part of the garden does not belong to the property.

- Underwriter (on an adverse mortgage) being power hungry for client who has gone overdrawn by £3 for a day after outlaying £1400 for 4 peoples holidays who then paid him back.... common sense underwriting? 2 minute chat to my account manager and 20 minutes later a mortgage offer comes through.

- Underwriter asking for 1 years accounts or SA302 - supplied SA302, then asked for 3 years - supplied, then asked for accounts as its no longer practice to ask for SA302s??? Doesnt have accounts - "Mortgage will be declined".... 5 minute chat with account manager, mortgage offer issued.

Its been a week of losing a little bit more of that hairline i once had.

On the upside, its sunny and i got to put my sunglasses on this week AND have the car window down - summer is on its way!

EDIT:
    Just reading this back, this is part of the job the clients dont see. They dont see the issues we resolve without even mentioning it. Im not trying to "big up" the job of a broker but there was the potential for 3 cases to get declined had they gone direct and not had that "relationship" we have with lenders.

But i love my job, i choose to go after adverse and complex mortgages and wouldnt change it.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • kingstreet
    ACG wrote: »
    - House down valued by £25k because part of the garden does not belong to the property
    Funny you should say that. I had a recent case like that, where the mortgage offer was expired and we were in the Nationwide two week extention.

Hair-raising is not the word.

Tony - you don't have to seek out the weird and wonderful. So called "normal" stuff throws up challenges every day.
  • JPB123
    JPB123 Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Nationwide underwriter - You need to supply full bank statements.

Me - I have

Nationwide u/w - No, the ones we have show transactions on 24th, then nothing until 27th

Me - Err, those are December's statements. Last time I checked the 25th was Xmas day. I don't know about you, but I don't do much shopping on Xmas / Boxing Day

I am an Independent Mortgage Advisor

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice
  • Edi81
    Edi81 Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    What a great thread! Definitely one for the "do I really need a broker?" brigade. Especially those with complex situations.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,727 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    edited 26 February 2014 at 8:33PM
    I cant speak for other brokers but a lot of my clients dont know the half of what goes on with their application.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback