Christmas Hampers 2013

Options

Comments

• Sequeena
    Sequeena Posts: 4,728 Forumite
    edited 31 August 2013 at 9:05PM
    Options
    I'm doing Christmas Eve hampers for my 2 year old son, my partner and myself. We only buy for children in our family (though may stretch to chocolate/alcohol for some adults).

Son;
    - christmas pjs
    - christmas DVD
    - small toy/teddy
    - chocolate/treats to watch the DVD with
    - christmas eve book (bought Santa is coming to the Welsh valleys)
    - reindeer dust

OH;
    - pyjamas
    - slippers
    - some shower gel or bath stuff
    - sweets
    - mug/hot chocolate

Me;
    - pyjamas
    - lush stuff
    - slippers
    - sweets
    - mug/hot chocolate

Not sure if I'll add anything else.
    Wife and mother :j
    Grocery budget
    April week 1 - £42.78 | week 2 - £53.05
    24lbs in 12 weeks 15/24
  • kathrynha
    kathrynha Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    My parents are getting a mainly savoury hamper. List so far:
    - homemade crisps
    - bacon jam
    - chutney
    - handpainted plant pots with chilli, basil and coriander seeds
    - bottle of wine
    - cheese biscuits
    - chilli biscuits

Mother-in-law will be getting a hamper too
    - small Christmas cake
    - mincemeat
    - ginger biscuits
    - fudge
    - chocolate truffles
    - chocolate cinnamon marshmallows

Friend is getting a hot chocolate and smores hamper
    - mug
    - hot chocolate balls
    - chocolate cinnamon marshmallows
    - chocolate bowl filled with chocolate buttons
    - biscuits
    - marshmallow toasting fork
    Zebras rock
  • minimad1970
    minimad1970 Posts: 6,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Spendless wrote: »

Do you have a B&M? I found lovely lidded hampers in various diff sizes there last year, from £2.99 to 4.99/5.99. Poundstretcher had the same ones in. They haven't got them this year yet, but it's prob still a bit early.

No B&M either, but we do have a Poundstretcher so I'll keep looking in there. Thanks.
  • amysb86
    amysb86 Posts: 73 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 1 September 2013 at 12:25AM
    Options
    I'm going to make a chocolate hamper for my sister. So far I've got or thought of

face mask
    different hot choc sachets
    Scented candles
    chapstick
    few different chocs
    chocolate vodka or liquer
    chocolate cookies
    chocolate pasta.
    Hotel Chocolat Salted Caramel and Pecan spread.

Where's a good place to get a reasonable priced basket? Thanks.

found amazing chocolate candles in ikea today :)
    everyones ideas sound wonderful! cant wait till we can start posting pics!
    Savings £2000
    Emergency fund £200
    Credit card  £600
    Christmas savings 0

• kingfisherblue
    Options
    Mnimad, you don't necessarily need wicker baskets for hampers. Any suitable container will do. A couple of examples that I remember from previous hamper threads are a shoebox covered in wrapping paper (I think this was a DVD night in hamper) and a plastic children's bin for a kid's craft hamper.

My son's sports hamper will be either everything inside a sports bag, or an open topped box covered with paper and everything displayed in that.

One topped boxes are quite good really, as you can use different sizes and different depths depending on what you want. You can also find wrapping paper with a relevant theme sometimes. For your chocolate themed hamper, you could use wrapping paper that shows hundreds of Smarties. I've seen that paper in a local card shop. Incidentally, that's another idea for your hamper, you could get one of those jigsaws that is just a picture of loads of Smarties. It would be a nightmare to do though!

For the Lego hamper mentioned, an old Lego box would be ideal - maybe from Freecycle?

And mentioning Freecycle, maybe you could ask for hamper baskets on there? Someone asked on one of my groups last week, saying that she wanted hamper baskets for making up Christmas hampers. I don't know if anyone responded, but it's worth a try. Car boot sales are another option.

For coffee or tea hampers, I think someone posted in a previous year that they used a tray as the actual hamper.

I made a fruit hamper earlier this week for my mum's friend who has been in hospital. I used a stationery storage box, the sort that you keep paperwork in. I propped the lid at a right angle behind the box, so it can be used as a lidded box again. I lifted the fruit by putting scrunched up newspaper in the bottom of the box and covering it with some coloured tissue paper that I had in.

And for anyone who is interested, if you are taking the hamper to someone's house, into school, etc, a tip. Buy a pack of mini glue dots and use them to secure your contents exactly as you want them. It's horrible when you have spent time arranging everything perfectly, only to find that it all dropped into the bottom of the hamper just because you had to drive over a speed bump!

Another tip - when buying tissue paper for hampers, it's usually cheaper to get a pack from the kids craft section, rather than the adults craft section. A pack of about 20 decent sized sheets can be bought for less than £1 when buying kids tissue paper, but in the adult craft section it is often sold as single sheets, at a much higher price.
  • jemtom
    jemtom Posts: 350 Forumite
    Options
    wendall wrote: »
    In tesco they have super heroes top trumps cards for £1 a pack normally £4

thank you will have a look this week
  • Ruth_honey
    Ruth_honey Posts: 2,831 Forumite
    Options
    Great tips, kingfisherblue-thank you!

I did an entertaining hamper a few years ago and used a metal ice bucket as the container. I love the look of wicker hampers and I always find a use for them, but some people might not.
    Cross Stitch Cafe Monthly Challenge Member #27
    12/12/12 challenge-[STRIKE]Season's Greeting Newton's Law[/STRIKE] Christmas polar bear-finished on time! :)
    Thanks to all the girls in the Cross Stitch Cafe! You're all fantastic! :A
  • jemtom
    jemtom Posts: 350 Forumite
    Options
    I'm going to make a chocolate hamper for my sister. So far I've got or thought of

face mask
    different hot choc sachets
    Scented candles
    chapstick
    few different chocs
    chocolate vodka or liquer
    chocolate cookies
    chocolate pasta.
    Hotel Chocolat Salted Caramel and Pecan spread.

Where's a good place to get a reasonable priced basket? Thanks.

i pick mine up from charity shops, carboots and even just cover a box with wrapping paper, depending on the size of the hamper shoeboxes can work i just go into shoe shops every now and again to ask if they have any
  • carlamarie_2
    Options
    I love the book Ballet Shoes :)

How about a book about a famous play? The Book People sometimes have a children's book called Mr. William Shakespeare, which is a child friendly collection of some of his plays.

You could also think about a ticket to a play or panto, maybe with a home made voucher for the cost of the programme or some money to pay for the programme.

A Tshirt With a drama design (lots come up on Google, masks, clapperboard, etc) to wear at class.

A mirror to practice in front of.

Photo album, so that when she performs she can keep some photos, including some showing her in the prep stages, such as part way through make up.

Movie poster for her bedroom wall.

Purse to take her weekly payment or tuck shop money in.

Ring binder and plastic pockets for any work that she needs to study at home.

Adding on to kingfishers list, a giant star for her dressing room door (or bedroom to u and me) you could probaly make one with a large piece of gold card and personalise with her name
    Mummy to ds 29/12/06 dd 10/2/08 ds 25/5/11
    :Amy angel born too soon 18/11/12, always with me Emmie Faith:A

15 projects in 2015 10/15completed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills