Train Delays guide discussion

Comments

• Hello all. I have regularly travelled on the Chichester to Brighton line for decades. A few weeks ago our train diverted to Littlehampton because of some incident and we were told a replacement bus service was being arranged. On previous occasions when this has happened a bus has turned up reasonably quickly. However, on this occasion we waited half an hour or so and nothing seemed on the horizon. We urgently had to get to Brighton, so got a public bus to Worthing with our free bus passes instead, then a taxi on from Worthing to Brighton at a cost of £28. :(

Southern Rail subsequently admitted that we would have arrived in Brighton well over 2 hours late, but still refused to reimburse us anything at all towards our taxi. I am not very happy about this and was thinking about making a court claim against them, in line with the Consumer Rights Act. Based on all of the circumstances, then does anyone else think it is worth a punt? I don't mind losing and I am willing to be a guinea pig here. I just want to know I at least have some chance of succeeding. :)
  • MSE_Kelvin
    MSE_Kelvin Posts: 339 MSE Staff
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 4 June 2018 at 7:03PM
    Evening forumites.

After all the rail chaos caused by the timetable overhaul over the last couple of weeks, we're featuring train delays in this week's Money Tips Email, and we're looking for a couple of case studies to encourage MoneySavers to claim their money back.

1) Have you claimed back £100+ via Delay Repay?

We're looking for anyone who has been refunded £100 or more for a delayed journey in the last couple of months.

2) Have you ever got money back after complaining about poor service on a train?

Have you ever been given a refund or received compensation after complaining about dirty toilets, broken seats or the Wi-Fi being down on a train, or anything else along those lines?

If either of these apply to you, I'd love to hear from you - simply reply on here or email kelvin.goodson@moneysavingexpert.com.

Thanks for your help!

MSE Kelvin
  • tommy2k8
    tommy2k8 Posts: 96 Forumite
    I needed to get to my creative writing class yesterday, and I normally get the 11.18 from Otford to Tonbridge (operated by Thameslink). This was cancelled, and the 11.48 was delayed (but it didn't say by how much time.) So I had to get a friend to take me to Sevenoaks to allow me to get the train to Tonbridge. Can I claim for a cancellation?

This also happened last Thursday - the 11.48 was cancelled, we were told there was a bus replacement service for the next train, which was at 12.18, but that never turned up, so we had to wait until 12.48. Can I do the same for that one?
  • Dashimus wrote: »
    Hi all. I have a question about refunds via an Oyster card.

I live in zone 4 and commute to work in Victoria via Clapham Junction on South West Trains before changing onto Southern. However, my zone 1-4 travel card is a TFL travel card bought at Victoria Underground station which is loaded onto my Oyster card.

According to South West Trains:

We will not compensate you:

If you purchased a Travelcard (either a 'paper' ticket or Oyster card) from a non-South West Trains outlet. We will consider your claim if you have proof that you use our services for all, or part, of your journey (e.g. a home or work address close to a station we serve, and details of the journey you make).

Sorry, cant post link to this as new.

So can I claim or not? It says they won't but then implies they'll consider it if i can prove my journeys use them. Fortunately I get an oyster statement every month detailing my journeys so this isnt difficult to do.

Anyone had experience of this?

This is a major problem that MSE really needs to take on. If you live in London you need to have your season ticket on an oyster card if you want to use any other London transport eg buses. SWT/SWR try very hard to not compensate you for delays. I tried to get compensation for the Waterloo disruption in August 2017 and the other void days delays up to that point for suburban services. They rejected every effort I made (except the 10 days Waterloo issue). I got LondonTravelWatch (LTW) involved, SWR gave them the same answer as they'd given me but still no explanation as to WHY I shouldn't get compensated for the same delays experienced almost daily, just because I didn't buy my ticket from them - thereby discriminating against London residents. Eventually, having spoken to a really lovely lady at LTW she went back to them and queried the whole thing again and I eventually got a refund for the whole year's delays (this was before delay repay came in). It took from 1/9/17 to 13/2/18 to actually get SWR to provide the compensation due. The passenger charter rules refer to oyster cards and say that they will 'consider' a claim if made by passengers who hold their season ticket on one, but it seems that the standard response is 'rejection' for no good reason if you try to claim. They are just using it as an excuse to not pay up for all their London customers who use an Oyster card.

Delay Repay will now make it impossible to get any refunds if you use an Oyster Card for your season ticket.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 June 2018 at 2:23AM
    Southern Rail subsequently admitted that we would have arrived in Brighton well over 2 hours late, but still refused to reimburse us anything at all towards our taxi. I am not very happy about this and was thinking about making a court claim against them, in line with the Consumer Rights Act. Based on all of the circumstances, then does anyone else think it is worth a punt? I don't mind losing and I am willing to be a guinea pig here. I just want to know I at least have some chance of succeeding. :)

In the end, I decided discretion was the better part of valour on this occasion. The reasons for my decision were as follows:

1. The root of all the delays on the day in question was genuinely down to someone trespassing on the line and getting killed. Although I thought Southern Rail didn't seem to be right on the ball when it came to organising a replacement bus service, compared to previous experiences of mine, it was admittedly a Sunday morning.

2. The taxi rank in Worthing I got a taxi to Brighton from seems to be populated by independent drivers. I forgot to get a receipt from the taxi driver on the day in question, then couldn't locate any sort of telephone number for the taxi rank afterwards to chase it up. I only had my own word to go on.

On the whole, I deemed that these factors might tip any court verdict in favour of Southern Rail. :(

tommy2k8 wrote: »
    I needed to get to my creative writing class yesterday, and I normally get the 11.18 from Otford to Tonbridge (operated by Thameslink). This was cancelled, and the 11.48 was delayed (but it didn't say by how much time.) So I had to get a friend to take me to Sevenoaks to allow me to get the train to Tonbridge. Can I claim for a cancellation?

Everything depends on when you would have arrived at your destination, regardless of whether any late arrival is down to a delayed train or a cancelled train. So yes, you certainly can claim for a cancellation in this instance.

As you are unsure of exactly how late your train would have been, you only know for sure it over was 30 minutes late, then just mark it down as being 1 hour late. They check all of these claims automatically you see. If your train was less than 1 hour late, then they certainly won't pay you the extra money. However, if you claim for a 30 minutes to 59 minutes delay and your train would have been over 1 hour late, then I can easily see them not paying you the extra money you are due. ;)
    tommy2k8 wrote: »
    This also happened last Thursday - the 11.48 was cancelled, we were told there was a bus replacement service for the next train, which was at 12.18, but that never turned up, so we had to wait until 12.48. Can I do the same for that one?

Absolutely. Make another claim for a 1 hour delay. If you haven't signed up for online compensation claims, then I would advise doing so, as everything is a lot easier that way in my opinion. :)

https://www.thameslinkrailway.com/help-and-support/contact-us/faqs/delays-and-compensation

Eventually, having spoken to a really lovely lady at LTW she went back to them and queried the whole thing again and I eventually got a refund for the whole year's delays (this was before delay repay came in). It took from 1/9/17 to 13/2/18 to actually get SWR to provide the compensation due. The passenger charter rules refer to oyster cards and say that they will 'consider' a claim if made by passengers who hold their season ticket on one, but it seems that the standard response is 'rejection' for no good reason if you try to claim. They are just using it as an excuse to not pay up for all their London customers who use an Oyster card.

It's disgraceful what you went through and great job on persevering and getting a result. :)
    Delay Repay will now make it impossible to get any refunds if you use an Oyster Card for your season ticket.

Have you thought about bringing this up with your M.P.? :eek:

Question, do you actually need to be on the train to claim for compensation if you have a season ticket?

I would suggest going on to the website of your train operator and looking at their compensation rules. If in doubt, then message them with your query. :)

MSE_Kelvin wrote: »
    If either of these apply to you, I'd love to hear from you - simply reply on here or email [EMAIL="kelvin.goodson@moneysavingexpert.com"]kelvin.goodson@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL] . Thanks for your help! MSE Kelvin

Hello Kelvin. If I encounter another instance of my train being over 1 hour late and desperately needing to get a taxi, with Southern Rail being responsible, then I am determined to take court action if I am not compensated for it. With a taxi receipt to boot of course.

As night follows day, I am sure this will happen soon enough, so I want to know if the forum will back me up and take an interest in my case. Any chance you can ask Martin for me? I mean he would have an interest in some test cases wouldn't he? Someone needs to take the plunge! Much appreciated. :)
  • I tried to claim a refund for the standing room only, 2 carriage train I caught in rush hour (many passengers waiting couldn't get on) but have been refused because I bought my ticket at the station. Can anyone confirm if that's right? I was told by Greater Anglia that I have to take it up with the station.
  • kurto1
    kurto1 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Has anyone had success claiming for a delay where you have missed a connecting train due to lifts being out of order (or other station facilities issue)?

Having a baby in a buggy meant I needed to use lift but inevitable missed my train when the lift wasn't working - I missed by only a few seconds so would definitely have made it of lifts were not out of order.

The station in question is operated by the rail company, so I feel like hey are responsible for having me miss the train. Nothing to stop me putting in a claim, but wasn't sure what the official situation is

Thank you
  • Hey,

Over 20 days ago I put in a claim as my train was cancelled and then delayed coming back. I’ve heard nothing from them and when I ring them just don’t help “transpennine” am I entitled to further compensation? If so how do I go about it and who do I contact Thankyou Sarah xxx
  • Skyhigh
    Skyhigh Posts: 332 Forumite
    MSE_Kelvin wrote: »
    2) Have you ever got money back after complaining about poor service on a train?

I got a full refund last month from LNER after:
    A) Train was delayed by 35 minutes
    +
    B) No aircon in carriage as it was broken and a scorching day. No spare seats, only luke warm water provided.

My point was - it wasn't a full hour late, but the combination of 30+ mins plus a terrible journey, meant I felt I deserved a full refund (£55) which they gave.

Generally I've been very successful with Delay Repay, only once or twice have I had to challenge them.
    1) Once when I had a change over, the first train *and second train* both operated by LNER were delayed, resulting in a 63 min delay. They tried to argue only first train counts. Nope! Full refund in the end.

2) Point around when the train actually arrives and you can *get off the train*. I typically now take a photo just when the train has pulled in to the platform before doors open, so I can refer them to that - as sometimes 1-2 mins can make the difference between £0 and 50% or 50% and 100% refund.
  • Hello all,

I booked a train 2 months ago to travel from London Kings X to Knaresborough in Yorkshire. This involves a change at York onto the Northern Line. Due to me being in London for work my plans are fixed. The recent strike announcement by Northern means I will be stranded at York station as there is no train back to Knaresborough as they have all been cancelled due to the strike.

I rang up Northern to ask how I was supposed to get home and was told 'Because of the strike there is nothing we can do' It was even suggested I pay to stay the night in York at my own cost.

I checked with another 'customer advisor' who confirmed that and that I would have to pay my own way home and to top it all I would not get this Taxi cost back from Northern.

Can this be right, I book my train prior to the strike announcement and due to no fault of my own I now can't get home and will end up about £50 out of pocket.

Surely rail companies have a duty of care to get you home especially as I booked prior to the strike.

Any advice appreciated

cheers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family