MSE News Story: Millions of prepay energy consumers overcharged

Former_MSE_Natasha
Former_MSE_Natasha Posts: 672 Forumite
edited 16 June 2009 at 8:26PM in Energy
This is the discussion thread for the MSE News Story:
OfficialStamp.gif

Comments

• As a landlord who rents out a shared property the pre payment meter is ideal as tenants come and go . No one is left out of pocket if a tenant leaves.
    BUT the system is scandalous
    I changed to 'Ebico' which helped a little.
    I have had an Energy Perfomance Certificate done last month which rates the property a C.
    Last week Southern Electric upgraded the meter and announced the costing would be doubled!!This should be an economical solution as bills are always paid upfront.Sort it OFGEM now .
  • So what are the chances of us ripped off customers getting any money back? When we moved into our house the previous owners had prepay meters for gas and 'leccy (through E.ON and British Gas). We were told that we couldn't get them changed until we'd had the accounts open for a year (we were first time buyers so had not had accounts with power companies before). So through no fault of our own we have been overcharged. If the banks have to pay money back for wrongful selling of extra policies then shouldn't the energy companies have to do the same?
  • My 82 year old mother has only ever had prepay meters. I phoned Scottish Hydro Elecric to say I wanted the meter removed so she could go on to a competitive tariff. They said she'd have to pay £45 to remove the meter and a further £145 deposit and stay with the company for a further year. I said that my mother had overpaid them for years so shouldn't have to pay for the privilege of leaving them. They said TOUGH! I'd appreciate any advice about whether they are within their rights to do this.
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    WeeSlavey wrote: »
    [...]I wanted the meter removed so she could go on to a competitive tariff. They said she'd have to pay £45 to remove the meter and a further £145 deposit and stay with the company for a further year.[...]I'd appreciate any advice about whether they are within their rights to do this.

Of course they are within their rights and it would be unjust if she did not have to pay. Charges and deposits for changing meters are entirely fair. If your mother did not have a prepayment meter would you be happy for her (and everyone else) to pay higher charges per kWh to give free swaps to others?
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    KimYeovil wrote: »
    Of course they are within their rights and it would be unjust if she did not have to pay. Charges and deposits for changing meters are entirely fair. If your mother did not have a prepayment meter would you be happy for her (and everyone else) to pay higher charges per kWh to give free swaps to others?

I am on prepay with edf and was told I wouldn't have to pay to have the meter changed to a non-economy7 prepay meter. They were quite willing to swap it for free.
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    newlywed wrote: »
    I am on prepay with edf and was told I wouldn't have to pay to have the meter changed to a non-economy7 prepay meter. They were quite willing to swap it for free.

Yes, many companies will do this. That does not make it fair (or free). All customers of EDF are paying extra for their energy to subsidise this largesse.
  • KimYeovil wrote: »
    My mother has subsidised others for years with the higher charges for electricity that she has had to pay. Did you not see the original article which states that people paying for electricity via prepayment have been ripped off to the tune of a lot of money for years? They have made a greater profit out of here over the years than you or I. She has subsidised my right to pay for cheaper elecricity by direct debit. That is what the scandal is.
  • 1carminestocky
    1carminestocky Posts: 5,256 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier
    WeeSlavey wrote: »
    My mother has subsidised others for years with the higher charges for electricity that she has had to pay. Did you not see the original article which states that people paying for electricity via prepayment have been ripped off to the tune of a lot of money for years? They have made a greater profit out of here over the years than you or I. She has subsidised my right to pay for cheaper elecricity by direct debit. That is what the scandal is.

Totally agree with this. We all know the real reason that most energy companies charge for removal of a pre-pay meter is to discourage punters from doing it. Pre-pay has been a lovely little earner for them over the years.
    Call me Carmine....

HAVE YOU SEEN QUENTIN'S CASHBACK CARD??
  • I too inherites pre payment meters but as a disabled person on benefits decided I could budget better with them so I didnt have to worry about bills coming in. Now it seems I have been paying far too much for far too long. Any chance of getting something done about claiming back these charges like the bank charges?
  • neil9313
    neil9313 Posts: 696 Forumite
    KimYeovil wrote: »
    Yes, many companies will do this. That does not make it fair (or free). All customers of EDF are paying extra for their energy to subsidise this largesse.

Mmmmmmmmmm......a very sweeping statement, the fact they have been making millions does not come in to it then? :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure