Help needed arguing Esure's valuation

Comments

• maddogb
    maddogb Posts: 473 Forumite
    Finally got confirmation it's being looked at now but the email from ombudsman has not left me hopefully they seem to be encouraging this appaling machine like approach of using guides and nothing else.
    Seriously people noone fought this and won?
    Two months now without car is getting very annoying
  • Nobbie1967
    Nobbie1967 Posts: 1,472 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Are you looking at dealer prices? If so, you need to allow a margin for haggling and also the additional protections you get when buying a used car from a dealer. Even looking at private adds there is always scope for negotiation.
  • maddogb
    mainly looking at dealers as already spent too much getting hpi checks on private sales, combination of floods and webuyanywreck.com have removed a lot of cars from the market, I can find quite a few cars that's not the problem, but I really don't want to settle for a car inferior to mine (ie petrol instead of diesel) older or much high mileage which are the only ones my settlement will allow.
    Seems very wrong, take someones car replace it with one same age mileage spec and charge him £1000+
  • maddogb
    Well finally heard back from the ombudsman, what a waste of time they were, as I suspected the followed exactly the same mechanical approach as esure said.
    "Computer says NO"
    They did not do a single thing above the initial outlined approach to actually find if the guides were correct, no confirming data, no checking if the guides were accurate locally despite their promise in their website
    "because it all depends on the individual circumstances. "

two months without a car, cannot afford anything remotely comparable, am approx. £300 down paying hpi checks and fuel to go visit old wrecks miles away, no wonder people drive uninsured.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 March 2016 at 10:17PM
    maddogb wrote: »
    Well finally heard back from the ombudsman, what a waste of time they were, as I suspected the followed exactly the same mechanical approach as esure said.
    "Computer says NO"
    They did not do a single thing above the initial outlined approach to actually find if the guides were correct, no confirming data, no checking if the guides were accurate locally despite their promise in their website
    "because it all depends on the individual circumstances. "

two months without a car, cannot afford anything remotely comparable, am approx. £300 down paying hpi checks and fuel to go visit old wrecks miles away, no wonder people drive uninsured.

Instead of maybe focussing on getting exactly the same car again, is there scope to look for a different brand? Maybe take the opportunity to try something different? Smaller / bigger, more economical, suits your needs better, etc, etc?

I'd be fairly confident with a reasonable sum in my pocket i could get a car i'd be happy with, even if my "ideal" car seems extremely rare and hard to come by.

There are bargains to be had out there (having just done so myself) but you cant be absolutely fixated on a spec car or spec.

The other thing is, i wouldnt be afraid to put in a cheeky bid on a car that over budget and see what happens. I bid £3,300 on a car over the phone that had a sticker price of £3,995 (which was already £500 cheaper than any other comparable car on autotrader) expecting to be chased however we settled on £3,500 to include a fresh MOT (which i know cost him a lot more than he'd hoped as it needed new rear discs and pads, and a cracked spring replaced which had to come from a franchised garage), service and valet. Picked it up today and well pleased.

I bought a diesel jag last year with pretty much optimum spec that had a sticker price of £3,995. Told the guy i had £2,960 in my pocket to buy a car with and after about 10 mins of checking figures and chat he accepted it.

I know you dont want to give out specifics, but if you could tell us the year and type of car your last one was (eg, 2007 large saloon or 2008 5 door family hatchback), we could maybe suggest options (not necessarily specific cars on specific sites but cars that might be in budget or worth considering)

If our main car - god forbid - got written off, being quite rare we'd probably struggle to replace it as theres only another couple for sale here in NI, however we'd probably use the opportunity to go for something different.
  • maddogb
    I haven't been fixated on the idea of an identical car,
    I have been willing to accept pretty much any make of similar age (09) specs, >120bhp diesel engine, saloon or hatch, mondeo/vectra size, my car had 88000, fsh and very good condition.
    that leaves plenty of options and initially I was forced to look outside my locale but having used up as many favours from friends as a I dare ask from I need the car to be within 50 miles.
    Obviously private sales are more risky and according to the ombudsman I should get retail value.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    mainly looking at dealers

That may be part of your problem. You're looking at a £3k car. At that end of the market, dealers represent VERY poor value - and it's not realistic to expect the insurer to fund the element of betterment that comes from any legal protection (limited though that might be).
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I haven't been fixated on the idea of an identical car,
    I have been willing to accept pretty much any make of similar age (09) specs, >120bhp diesel engine, saloon or hatch, mondeo/vectra size, my car had 88000, fsh and very good condition.
    that leaves plenty of options and initially I was forced to look outside my locale but having used up as many favours from friends as a I dare ask from I need the car to be within 50 miles.
    Obviously private sales are more risky and according to the ombudsman I should get retail value.

OK, quick brain dump then...

(i've checked cars only up to 90K miles & diesel)

2009 2010 insignias start at a fraction over £4K, so you'd need to either put a little to your £3K budget and negotiate hard or think about a 2008

2009 last of the model Vectras are around £3K ish. You'll get a high spec car for that money.

2009 Mondeos, new model, coming in from £3,495.

2009 Skoda Octavias are more expensive than you'd expect for a value brand, starting at £4K. Maybe would have to drop a year there.

2009 Peugeot 407. Available from around £3K+

2009 Mazda 6, new model. Starting from just under £4K

2009 Renault Laguna from around £3,500.

The other thing i would suggest is that if you're finding that you end up driving to see trash, then you need to do more qualifying over the phone.

Does it have a full years MOT?
    Does it have a full / good service history?
    How many previous owners?
    How does it start from cold?
    Any engine management lights on?
    Any airbag lights on?
    Does it idle smoothly?
    Does it pull strongly?
    Is there any smoke from it when under acceleration?
    Any problems with dual mass flywheel?
    Any clunks or rattles from the suspension?
    Any trim missing?
    Aircon work? Blow out cold air?
    CD player work?
    All the electrics work?
    Has it been HPI'd and is the HPI report available to see?
    Has the timing belt been done and is there documented evidence of it?

explain up front if its as described, and you can agree a price then you'r coming to buy it.

Ask them to photo and send the service history to you to have a look at
    Ask them to photo and send the HPI report.
  • maddogb
    AdrianC wrote: »
    That may be part of your problem. You're looking at a £3k car. At that end of the market, dealers represent VERY poor value - and it's not realistic to expect the insurer to fund the element of betterment that comes from any legal protection (limited though that might be).

not according to the ombudsman, you should expect retail prices, it's how they get those prices that is at fault.
    despite their promise to look at each case individually they don't
  • maddogb
    motorguy wrote: »
    OK, quick brain dump then...

(i've checked cars only up to 90K miles & diesel)

2009 2010 insignias start at a fraction over £4K, so you'd need to either put a little to your £3K budget and negotiate hard or think about a 2008

2009 last of the model Vectras are around £3K ish. You'll get a high spec car for that money.

2009 Mondeos, new model, coming in from £3,495.

2009 Skoda Octavias are more expensive than you'd expect for a value brand, starting at £4K. Maybe would have to drop a year there.

2009 Peugeot 407. Available from around £3K+

2009 Mazda 6, new model. Starting from just under £4K

2009 Renault Laguna from around £3,500.

The other thing i would suggest is that if you're finding that you end up driving to see trash, then you need to do more qualifying over the phone.

Does it have a full years MOT?
    Does it have a full / good service history?
    How many previous owners?
    How does it start from cold?
    Any engine management lights on?
    Any airbag lights on?
    Does it idle smoothly?
    Does it pull strongly?
    Is there any smoke from it when under acceleration?
    Any problems with dual mass flywheel?
    Any clunks or rattles from the suspension?
    Any trim missing?
    Aircon work? Blow out cold air?
    CD player work?
    All the electrics work?
    Has it been HPI'd and is the HPI report available to see?
    Has the timing belt been done and is there documented evidence of it?

explain up front if its as described, and you can agree a price then you'r coming to buy it.

Ask them to photo and send the service history to you to have a look at
    Ask them to photo and send the HPI report.

this^^ is what I was trying to avoid.. totally missing the point, I do know how to do due diligence and have been doing so for two months now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure