'Steal Pepsi Max: promoting theft of their own product' blog discussion

Options

Comments

• Tojo_Ralph
    Tojo_Ralph Posts: 8,373 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    "Is everyone missing the obvious here..."
    You mean that it was a slow news day when Martin wrote his blog? ;)
    The MSE Dictionary
    Loophole - A word used to entice people to read clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Rip Off - Clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Terms and Conditions - Otherwise known as a loophole or a rip off.
  • babs605
    babs605 Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I watched the Pepsi Max ad and my immediate reaction was the same as Martin - what a bad example to society - stealing drinks from someone's cool box while their backs are turned.
    I have just read the replies here and still think the ad is wrong in condoning stealing even if it is seen as a clever joke.
    I agree that if you have been taught not to steal watching this ad will not make you become a thief.
    But what if you have NOT been taught that stealing is wrong? What if you hang around in a gang and like to amuse the gang?
    The majority of people writing on this website are (I imagine) thoughtful, sensible people who would not choose to emulate the behaviour demonstrated in the ad but can appreciate the cleverness and humour of it.
    Unfortunately the majority of the people watching the ad are (I imagine) not so thoughtful or sensible and might very well emulate the behaviour demonstrated in order to seek the approval and laughter of their peers.
    (I am also pretty sure the same people would not even dream of comparing the value of the Pepsi against the cost of a female outfit - only a money saving expert
    :money:would think to do that!!)
  • JDPower
    JDPower Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Am I just having a sense of humour failure…
    Yup :rolleyes:
  • janlaine
    janlaine Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    The ad. is wrong. It is condoning the idea that stealing small stuff is just a bit of fun.
  • Tojo_Ralph
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Anyone who objects to the Pepsi Max advert really wants to give themselves a shake. :rolleyes:

If they object to the Pepsi Max advert, Lord knows what they think of this classic Irn Bru advert. :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdDhW9Lwepc
    The MSE Dictionary
    Loophole - A word used to entice people to read clearly written Terms and Conditions.
  • JDPower
    JDPower Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    edited 23 May 2009 at 10:21PM
    Options
    Tojo_Ralph wrote: »
    If they object to the Pepsi Max advert, Lord knows what they think of this classic Irn Bru advert. :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdDhW9Lwepc
    Ah but those people suffering from the increasingly common combination of conditions known as SOHF (Sense Of Humour Failure) and NBTDBWACUI (Nothing Better To Do But Whinge About Completely Unimportant Issues) would no doubt claim that advert is fine as the old lady was apprehended by the police and no doubt learnt the error of her ways. Therefore is an aspirational advert setting a fabulous example to any elderly people considering ram raiding shops in mobility scooters for free Irn Bru :rolleyes:
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Options
    Errata wrote: »
    The comedy character Billy Bunter appeared in a comic strip in The Magnet comic from 1908 - 101 years ago. Due to his insatiable appetite, his life at Greyfriars is taken up with devising ways of pilfering food

He was regularly punished by the schoolmaster, and beaten-up by his fellow pupils - leaving the reader in no doubt that pilfering food (and lying about it) is unacceptable behaviour.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • aah
    aah Posts: 520 Forumite
    Options
    Pepsi and Max are the names of my two favourite ponies.....
  • Tojo_Ralph
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Has anyone seen the new Irn Bru advert promoting vandalising their own drinks machines? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5ocaypgRHM
    The MSE Dictionary
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My favourite has to be The Snowman version...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfiqrkV_ZqI&feature=related
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport