The mindful MFW: A healthy, happy journey to a mortgage free life!

Comments

• museumworker
    museumworker Posts: 2,240
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    themadvix wrote: »
    Impressive list! You fit so much in in a day!

I'm glad it's okay to talk about eating here - as you say, one of life's great pleasures! (I guess some people don't see it as such, so they'd rather save the money - different strokes for different folks).

Hope DD1 improves!

Thanks, I’m actually feeling really ineffective and groggy at the moment so it’s interesting how I’m perceived very differently to how I feel!

My mum is a real 'it's just food' person so I've only discovered the joy of savouring food as an adult. I consider it a form of mindfulness to truly take the time to appreciate what you're eating (although I am often found shovelling food in my gob pretty mindlessly :rotfl: so its more of an ambition than a reality at the minute!)

DD1 will always be, well, DD1, it's my mindset that has had to shift to accommodate her behaviour. Good news is I'm not screaming back any more so that's progress ;),

I took a trip to Mr W at lunchtime to get a free coffee, my favourite handsoaps are now 86p instead of £2 so I bought three, which last us about 2 months. I will buy another few next week as would be good to get 6 months stock in the cupboards and then cancel my Am@zon S&S at around £1.30 a bottle.

Received two lovely books for my birthday in the post, and also was given set of uniform for DS1 by a mum whose son has changed school, all the next ages up which will save us about £30! Need to say thank you to both lovely people as it is very much appreciated.

I’ve got a three month free audible trial via Group0n, if anyone can recommend some audio books that would be much appreciated! I just started listening to Freedom Seeker by Beth Kempton and absolutely bowled over by it, so much to unpack I may need to buy a copy to read and digest s-l-o-w-l-y.

And very good news, our trip to Morocco next week *squee* is classed as Europe for travel insurance purposes so no need to pay to extend our policy.

Done:
    * collect parcels
    * stick to allocated food - erm, no, had one Madeline, and a tiny slice of DD1 cheesecake to make up for fact used up ALL my baking chocolate :rotfl:, probably about 200 calories.
    * Hit 10K steps - managed 13K :D hopefully that might go someway towards the extra calories :rotfl:
    * listen to free audiobook - yes, it's awesome :D
    * order new set of chargers and cables - will be here tonight, just LOVE Ama@zon pr!me
    * put in DD1 prescription
    * DS parent's evening - went exceptionally well, really pleased how he's settling into Yr 1
    * Dinner - jackets in the oven

To do:
    * send thank yous for gifts (phone flat)
    * buy notebook

Major oops:
    * Got DD1's theatre trip day wrong so she's very cross with me as she turned down volunteering at a open evening at school. :o MUST. READ. EMAILS. PROPERLY. :rotfl:
    Mortgage [STRIKE]16/03/2011: £190K 01/01/2017: £107,729.65 [/STRIKE] 01/07/2017: £95,979.89
    OPs 2011-2016 = £45K 2017 OPs = £9250.20
  • museumworker
    Forumite
    edited 15 October 2017 at 7:39PM
    I've decided to split my list so I remember to do recurrent things like check and print DD1 homework each week. Money saving because then we don't have to print it from home ;)

My Friday ta dahhh! list:

DAILY
    * [STRIKE]Walk 10K steps[/STRIKE] done
    * [STRIKE]Lunch from stores, stick to allocated food[/STRIKE] Done, if you don't count three Cadburys heroes :rotfl:
    * [STRIKE]check accounts and update YNAB[/STRIKE] done, all looking fine

WEEKLY
    * [STRIKE]Check and print DD1 homework calendar[/STRIKE] done, nothing added
    * [STRIKE]Read DS school newsletter and diarise any important dates[/STRIKE] done

MONTHLY
    * [STRIKE]Collect DD1 prescription at lunchtime[/STRIKE] not done as it's an illegal prescription allegedly :mad:. Have put call in to issuer

SPECIAL
    * Thank you to school mum not done as DD1 hadn't given me her number. Must chase
    * Bring set of charger and cables to keep at work took them in then brought them home again :rotfl:
    * Send birthday card to relative not done, must transfer some money instead
    * Chase BT on switching mobile service (saving £5pm) not done
    * [STRIKE]Link bank account to shopping cashback site and apply for £20 refund[/STRIKE] done
    * Apply for mouthwash cashback (£6.66) not done
    * [STRIKE]Print out dinner vouchers and free drink voucher for night out[/STRIKE] done
    * Order/buy DD1 tea tree oil not done
    * Speak to Doctor if travel immunisations needed (may have left this a bit late!) not done
    Mortgage [STRIKE]16/03/2011: £190K 01/01/2017: £107,729.65 [/STRIKE] 01/07/2017: £95,979.89
  • museumworker
    Forumite
    Wow! Unexpected fleabay sale nets £40 before postage :j! Plus £20 for listing 2 items due at end of month. Wondering what else can list now...
  • museumworker
    Forumite
    Sunday night already? How did THAT happen?! I have completely neglected to write a to do list, mostly deliberately as I wanted to enjoy my family time this weekend without the stress of attempting too much.

Had a really nice evening on Friday, bought one £35 round and it was great to know from keeping YNAB updated that I had the pocket money available to do so. Apart from a couple of quid restaurant tip there was no extra spends after. The restaurant was good, nibbles and cocktail amazing and other courses good too. My friend was so touched when they came out with a cake and a candle!

Yesterday we went to a local apple harvest event, we saw lots of friends there and the kids had lots of fun playing, having their faces painted, and apple bobbing! We spent just under £4 from grocery budget on local organic apples at £3 a kilo, and £5.50 from family days out budget on cider/donation/toffee apple. It was really nice to do something a short walk from home and feel like locals.

Today we took the kids to a Victorian sewage pump house, yes we know how to treat them :rotfl:! It was actually a lovely day out, I found the buildings and displays really interesting, and DS was fascinated to find out we were walking on top of the pipe which carries ALL the wees and poos in South London for treatment! The kids found a cricket in the gardens outside and watched it jump for half an hour, it was such a lovely pace to be going at. We also got in free as the engine we went to see wasn't in steam due to asbestos!

We took packed lunches and snacks both days, so 2 lovely family days out for less than ten pounds and a bit of petrol.

£37 spent on mini shop in L!dl yesterday which included DD1's requested birthday dinner for her sleepover and a (shop bought :o) cake.

Car insurance just been renewed at £466 for year, with £50.50 due in cashback :D. This is £90 less than budget and £200 less than renewal quote so really pleased with that, only took us about 20 minutes to find a provider and price we were happy with.

I have a to do list as long as my arm to write but I'm tired so going to hit the sack and work it all out in the morning. Good news is I have Friday off so a bit of time near the end of the week to rest/follow up on urgent things before we go on holiday- we're really unprepared!

Night all!

MW x
  • sounds like a fab weekend. And lots of exciting things to look forward too.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • museumworker
    Forumite
    edited 16 October 2017 at 8:09PM
    Thanks wish, hope you had a good weekend too. Definitely looking forward to our holiday, but even more so once I've confirmed all the hotels. We paid for our car hire yesterday and have checked our European travel insurance covers Morocco, but not a lot more :o.

Today's Ta dahhh! List:

DAILY
    • [STRIKE]Stick to allocated food[/STRIKE] mostly, one biscuit this evening
    • Check accounts and update YNAB

WEEKLY
    • [STRIKE]Cycle to work AND BACK :eek:[/STRIKE] yes, and did it in an hour each way, at this rate won't need ebike :T
    • Prepare this week’s test mail
    • Charge fitbit

MONTHLY
    • [STRIKE]Chase Dr on DD1 prescription if not heard from by midday[/STRIKE] yes, and thank goodness I did, took 4 phone calls to sort it out
    • [STRIKE]Collect own prescription from Dr[/STRIKE] done

SPECIAL
    • [STRIKE]Package and label ebay parcel
    • Send ebay parcel[/STRIKE] done and emailed confirmation
    • Send birthday card to relative oops still no :o
    • Bring set of charger and cables to keep at work yes, took it in but then in different office today so had to bring it home again!
    • Speak to own Doctor if travel immunisations needed (may have left this a bit late!) couldn't get through, tried 3 times
    • [STRIKE]Complete fleabay survey BY END OF DAY[/STRIKE] done
    • [STRIKE]Call nephew pm to wish happy birthday and ask for details to send money to[/STRIKE] done
    • Call friend re: trip to Manchester carried over
    • Call friend re: meet up this week carried over
    • Thank you to school mum carried over
    • Confirm holiday accommodation emailed all 3, heard back from one so far
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    That's some list - you'll be ready for that holiday:rotfl:

I've always fancied Morocco, looking forward to hearing all about it (especially the food, I just love Moroccan food:D).

PP x
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • museumworker
    Forumite
    edited 17 October 2017 at 9:40PM
    Thanks PP – I both love and loathe to do lists. They stress me out with their demands but also help get things done. I am really hoping that my lists will get shorter soon!

Will keep you updated, especially about the food ;) Good news is that all of our hotels have confirmed our stays :j! One of them includes breakfast and dinner for three nights too.

Today's Ta dahhh! List:

DAILY
    • [STRIKE]Walk 10K steps[/STRIKE] 14k :j
    • Stick to allocated food (haven’t brought lunch, so this might be tricky!) not a great day, fail to plan and you plan to fail :o
    • [STRIKE]Check accounts and update YNAB[/STRIKE] done

WEEKLY
    • [STRIKE]Prepare this week’s test mail[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]Collect test mail[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]Log test mail[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]Send test mail[/STRIKE] done, and logged
    • [STRIKE]Charge fitbit (plug wasn’t in properly, grrr!)[/STRIKE]

MONTHLY
      [STRIKE]Collect prescriptions x 2[/STRIKE]
    done

SPECIAL
    • [STRIKE]Bring set of charger and cables to keep at work [/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]Speak to own Doctor if travel immunisations needed (may have left this a bit late!) [/STRIKE]
    • Send birthday card to relative
    • [STRIKE]Buy birthday card for friend[/STRIKE]
    • Wrap friend’s present
    • [STRIKE]Bake cake for tomorrow[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]Book pizza lunch tomorrow[/STRIKE]
    • Call friend re: trip to Manchester
    • Call friend re: meet up this week
    • Thank you to school mum
  • museumworker
    Forumite
    I have been ridiculously exhausted today, to the point that several people commented on it. Assuming it's from the bike riding yesterday, clearly have much further to go in terms of building stamina.

As suspected, I have left it too late for jabs for Morocco :( although it seems they're not essential for short trips. We will just need to be very careful regarding only sticking to bottled water etc. Might have had a bit of a meltdown on the OH as feel like I carry the entire mental load burden when it comes to holidays - the planning, researching, booking, communicating with house swappers, hotels, travel insurance, booking car parking, hire car etc. He has now taken the initiative of asking for the paperwork to print off, so that's some progress. The main thing is the kids jabs need to be up to date, I know DD2 is, but DS isn't so will try and see if can book him in on Friday when a doctor is around to get them done.

Had to buy lunch as OH hadn't made any, luckily a yummy chicken laksa soup was on the menu so didn't feel so bad spending £3.66 of my pocket money on it.

Bought a pumpkin from Mr S when collected prescriptions as can claim the whole £2 back via TCB sh0p and snap! Great freebie as we would have bought one anyway.

Dinner was last of the leftover pork, tamarind and apricot stew, with some leftover rice from yesterday fried with greens.

Now just about to summon the energy to bake some brownies for a friend's birthday tomorrow. The best ever brownies apparently... will report back!

I got her a book via Am@zon, managed to use two student discounts at once so got £41 of books for £21! Bought school book DD1 needed anyway, another book as a gift then discount also got OH a free cookbook which I will stash away from Christmas. Say will, because I chose the no rush delivery for a FREE £1 credit on my next kindle book :money:. I also had £6 in vouchers so only £14 odd spent in hard cash :D.

YNAB up to date and all looking ok, a few minor overspends but also some underspends too, so we're in the ballpark.
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    You are so good at researching and using deals. I'm so impressed,I think I've done well if I don't forget to use the voucher in my purse:o!!

P
    P xx
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure