PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• Just been trying out my new device.

Normal background readings, in my living room, are around 0.10 USV/h, but, when I hold it up to my smoke alarm, it jumps to around 0.20 USV/h.

There's a tiny amount of americium-241 in smoke alarms, which is what is causing the jump in the readings.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Would zombies have a little residual heat in the very early days though?

:D I think you might be right :D
    pineapple wrote: »
    But not just to eat. Google it :j
    Oh! Excellent! Thank you :j
    The other night the dog and I came across a car parked on the village green. This was around 11.30 pm. I had to call him back as being blind, he is liable to run into unexpected objects. There was something blocking the rear windscreen. So I shone my torch in the side and there was one heck of a kerfuffle. :D Unfortunately not having my glasses on, I couldn't see the detail. ;)
    Naturally on the way back and purely out of public duty, I shone my torch in again :rotfl:
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:They probably thought you were the law :p I haven't seen anyone myself yet, but there's a few Housing Associatin outdoor gym machines just outside my house, and I wonder what else they're used for :eek:
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Karmacat
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    One of these is a good idea.
    4186KjG%2B8LL._SX355_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASPOD-Emergency-Dispenser/dp/B00GHSAU0E

and maybe a couple of resuscitation face shields.

Thanks for these, Bob, yes, in reality I was looking for a few more medical bits and bobs, and these absolutely fill the bill.
  • Karmacat
    That worked well. I bought:

- a laptop backpack, water resistant, with a USB port for use with a power bank. I need a daysack for my holiday in June, and this one can double as a hospital bag, which we talked of on here recently.

- pack of 10 resus face shields, from St John Ambulance, individually packed. I have a nice little First Aid pack that isn't really doing anything that can hold a few of these - I can't have a mask on my keyring, its too bulky.

- set of 6 aluminium keychain "pill fobs" - for less than the aspod, and a better fastening for me. Also means I can give one to brother, sister and SiL, we're all in danger territory of heart attacks these days.

Very pleased at this! And its all paid for by Amazon vouchers from mucking around at SwagBucks, i.e. its cost me nothing at all except time. And the time is free because its been over the winter, when I was recuperating. If anybody else is like me in that they have some spare time with access to a phone and a wifi signal, you can really get some free money for extra little bits and bobs of preps like this. /end pitch.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Very pleased at this! And its all paid for by Amazon vouchers from mucking around at SwagBucks, i.e. its cost me nothing at all except time. And the time is free because its been over the winter, when I was recuperating. If anybody else is like me in that they have some spare time with access to a phone and a wifi signal, you can really get some free money for extra little bits and bobs of preps like this. /end pitch.
    Never heard of swagbucks but I do surveys for one site and take my points as Amazon vouchers. Nice little perk! Unfortunately I seem to get less and less surveys as I get older. I suspect it's because I am no longer in the 'frequent buyer demographic' - in fact not much of a consumer at all.:(
    I do find the questions more and more difficult. How the heck do I rate the comparative value of a pink giraffe fridge magnet (made up example) if such products aren't even on my radar? :huh:
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Karmacat wrote: »

They probably thought you were the law

The only time we get an appearance from the law in the village is when it is nearby Appleby Fair week. Those errant sheep, marauding hens and wandering ducks can be a bit of a handful though :D
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
  • ...and if anyone (Trump or otherwise) does "start it all up":eek:

- am I the only one that's shrugged and decided what to do already "after the event". Yep...my planning goes as far as "After I'm dead (whenever that is:rotfl:whatever way it happens...) then I'll do this, then I'll do that, then...then....then......

One long rest first after The Tunnel of Light and much "Thank goodness - I'm no longer on Planet Earth....whew...relief...whew...relief" - and "my plans are made" for What to Do Next - enough to keep me going for quite some time:)

So - that's actually a serious thought - for those of us that believe in an AfterLife. Bit of initial planning to do - as far as we're able to whilst here....

I can't be the only one that has Made Plans I guess....
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    But what can you do when you don't have a body, Money?

I thought that was the reason we feel compelled to keep coming back here?
  • Karmacat
    Never heard of swagbucks but I do surveys for one site and take my points as Amazon vouchers. Nice little perk! Unfortunately I seem to get less and less surveys as I get older. I suspect it's because I am no longer in the 'frequent buyer demographic' - in fact not much of a consumer at all.:(
    I do find the questions more and more difficult. How the heck do I rate the comparative value of a pink giraffe fridge magnet (made up example) if such products aren't even on my radar? :huh:
    I'm no consumer either, pineapple - sometimes they say "even if you're not a customer", but other times I might think of what a niece or a nephew has said to me, and answer as if I was them.
    The only time we get an appearance from the law in the village is when it is nearby Appleby Fair week. Those errant sheep, marauding hens and wandering ducks can be a bit of a handful though :D
    Wonderful :j:j:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family