Gaming Laptops - Need Advice

I have a bog standard laptop thats probably 4-5 years old now but am able to get away with playing a few games on low graphics settings (Football manager, two point hospital a couple of recent ones i've played).

With the announcement of Planet Zoo coming later this year and knowing that the likelihood of my laptop being able to run it is very slim, I am tempted to invest in a gaming laptop.

Where is the best place to pick up a decent gaming laptop for reasonable prices? I've been looking on laptops direct.com

Don't really want to spend much more than £400.

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to specs also, so any advice on that would be great.

Comments

• Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 3 May 2019 at 2:33PM
    You are not gatting a proper gaming laptop for less than 4 ttime that.

However it does not seem a hardcore game (cannopt find any requirements) so a £400 laptop might run it better.

Beware that the cheap end of the laptop market is a minefield as many will be less (including a lot less) capable than your current laptop (in the important ways for running games, though better in others).

Gaming is hard. Becuase the often great supply of second hand buiness laptops will probably not have grafics capable of much more gaming than your current laptop.

You still want something? Aim for ryzen 5. (or at a push the ryzen 3 2300U (and NOT IN ANY WAY THE 2200U). I suspect it would run then on low settings where as your current would probably make it a slideshow (all just guessing though right now).
  • what about something like this? https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/refurbished-hp-omen-15-ax009na-15.6-intel-core-i5-6300hq-8gb-1tb-nvidia-ge-a2-x0m60ea/version.asp

Planet Zoo is the same developer as planet Coaster and I suspect the specs will be similar

I'm not really a hardcore gamer, just play things like the sims, city builders and things like that
  • dan958
    dan958 Posts: 770 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Planet Zoo will probably have the same issue as Planet Coaster, FPS can really drag down as your park gets massive. On a £400 laptop, I highly doubt you will get anything for that price that will run the game smoothly unless on the lowest of settings.

Any reason why you want a gaming laptop? I always recommend building yourself an actual desktop, way much better price to perfomance level there. You also have the added benifit of being able to use your current laptop when you are working away from your computer for work and older/less demanding games.
  • dan958 wrote: »
    Planet Zoo will probably have the same issue as Planet Coaster, FPS can really drag down as your park gets massive. On a £400 laptop, I highly doubt you will get anything for that price that will run the game smoothly unless on the lowest of settings.

Any reason why you want a gaming laptop? I always recommend building yourself an actual desktop, way much better price to perfomance level there. You also have the added benifit of being able to use your current laptop when you are working away from your computer for work and older/less demanding games.

Problem is I don't really have anywhere at home where I could set up a desktop (small house problems!). I usually just play my laptop from my kitchen table.

Might just have to park the idea. I just don't have the knowledge on specs to know what is good and whats not. :(
  • dan958
    dan958 Posts: 770 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    My knowledge on laptop specs is extremely low (I only know what is decent in high level desktop computers). You may want to ask the folks over on the overclockers forum. Just say that you want a laptop, your budget, and the type of games that you want to play.

They will definitely be able to spec you something decent.

I really think you are pushing it with £400 though.
  • duggan1
    duggan1 Posts: 505 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Problem is I don't really have anywhere at home where I could set up a desktop (small house problems!). I usually just play my laptop from my kitchen table.

Might just have to park the idea. I just don't have the knowledge on specs to know what is good and whats not. :(

No system specs yet, but imagine similar to Planet Coaster.

Laptops can do it, but not for £400. You can get a 15" HP Pavilion for about £750 which will do the job, but won't be mind blowing. I'd be inclined to look at the ASUS laptops though. £700 might get you something nice. PC World have pretty decent pricing on these at times, even for a 17" which admittedly is big for a laptop.
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I have a bog standard laptop thats probably 4-5 years old now but am able to get away with playing a few games on low graphics settings (Football manager, two point hospital a couple of recent ones i've played).

With the announcement of Planet Zoo coming later this year and knowing that the likelihood of my laptop being able to run it is very slim, I am tempted to invest in a gaming laptop.

What are your current laptop specs? If you are running two point hospital, I'd say you already having something close to what £400 will get you, as that really is low end for a windows laptop. I think you are going to need more money.

One option - you can play some strategy games like Civ and City Skylines on a Switch. Obviously nothing like the range that's on PC, but there are a lot of incredible non- strategy games on the switch and it might leave you with enough budget to get a chromebook or something for everything else.
  • Below are the official specs

Official Minimum Requirements
    Windows 7 64bit or newer
    Intel Core i5 -2300, AMD FX-4300 or better
    8GB Ram
    Nvidia GTX 560 / ATI Radeon 7850 Graphics card with 2GB of Graphics Memory or better
    Recommended Requirements, Predicted
    Processor: Intel Core i7-4770 4-Core 3.4GHz / AMD FX-8350
    Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 380 or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB
    VRAM: 4GB
    System Memory: 12 GB RAM
    Storage: 8 GB Hard drive space
    DirectX 11 Compatible Graphics Card

I've had a brief look at gaming laptops with gtx1050 cards and the lower end is around £700. Not looked at the AMD side of things :eek:
    ::A
  • Edit - forgot source which was gaming-debate.com
    ::A
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Recommended Requirements, Predicted
    Processor: Intel Core i7-4770 4-Core 3.4GHz / AMD FX-8350
    Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 380 or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB
    VRAM: 4GB
    System Memory: 12 GB RAM
    Storage: 8 GB Hard drive space
    DirectX 11 Compatible Graphics Card

As you have discovered you are getting absolutely nowhere near those (or even the minimum requirements) in a £400 laptop!

If you didn't like the Switch option - how about a mini tower plugged in to your TV? :-) You could build a mini-tower just a bit below the recommended specs for about £400.

Otherwise, save a bit more!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport