PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Meadows
    Meadows Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Hung up my suit! Xmas Saver!
    Please help, can I freeze risotto? My oh has just announced he is going out and I already have defrosted the chicken for risotto and there's too much for just me!

Yes but will not have the texture of risotto and will be mushy might be better to put in the fridge and eat tomorrow.

http://www.risotto-recipe.com/recipes/risotto-faq.html
    Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.
  • Please help, can I freeze risotto? My oh has just announced he is going out and I already have defrosted the chicken for risotto and there's too much for just me!

You'll probably get lots of differing advice on this one as some people do it & never have problems while others have been very ill from reheated rice and would never consider it again!

The main thing is to get the rice cooled as quickly as possible - when I do Risotto, one portion is plated up and the other is put into a big plate with sides (are these pasta dishes?) and popped into the washing up bowl (so it floats) filled with cold water.

You will need to take the plate out / mix & respread the risotto a few times to get it cool ASAP.

Once cooled, I put into the fridge (sealed container) straight away & would always use the next night. To reheat, I do on a medium setting for 5 mins at a time & stir, then another 5 mins etc until absolutely piping hot.

TBH after receiving much advice on here, I decided not to risk freezing mine so have always just done this. HTH
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,618 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I do almost exactly the same as Cheryl, except that I don't put the frozen block into a plastic bag.

I've lots of margarine tubs so don't have a problem with running out of them ;) and it means if I forget to take something out in the morning to defrost, I can take straight from the freezer, run the sides of the tub under hot water for a few seconds (literally) and the block then tips out into the pan. HTH:)
    I also have lots of margarine tubs, but turning the contents into freezer bags frees up freezer space ;)
    Cheryl
  • Redouble
    Redouble Posts: 468 Forumite
    Just checked my online banking and realised that one of my grocery spends came out of a separate budget so i have put £10 back into my virtual pot.

I am thrilled with how it is going. I have separated the cash in my purse into 'weeks' so I have a weekly grocery budget already sorted.

Am grinning here, I feel so in control of my finances and that is a VERY new feeling for me! Now I am off to clean my house!! Wish me luck...
    NSDs 7/20
    Make £10 a day £403.74/£310
  • cw18 wrote: »
    I also have lots of margarine tubs, but turning the contents into freezer bags frees up freezer space ;)

Ahhhhh - don't have that problem either as I've got 2! :o

I find they stack well and they don't seem to take up much more room - I hate freezer bags for some reason - probably as I've suffered with the "wrinkling effect" in the past so just decided to get rid of them!
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • Afternoon all:)
    Just popping by to update weekly spends.

Did the weekly drudge round mr M's yesterday to a cost of £26.78, I don't think I checked in with last weeks spends so am going to have to declare an extra £30 for last week too - I know I didn't go over it.

I did buy some wine & beer&soft drinks for a party but am not going to declare it as that came out of entertainment budget - it's not used often at the moment , so not that worried and it was less than £15 for 5 of us that went anyway.:rotfl:

I did though yesterday used some of theMr M's saving stamp card that my Dad gave me for part of my Christmas pressie(think its his way of thanking me taking him every week to Mr M's:))

I stocked up on s*rf that is on offer at £3 for 25 washes,so got 4 (which compares to Amaz8ns offer on the P£sil) - I suppose it's just personal preference in the end- also bought the a£e bleach at half price,cans of coconut milk (2 for £1) & bran*tons baked beans (pack of 4 for £1.25) and T-bags that were half price- that lot came to just under £27.

Poor lad on checkout totally got baffled and had to get supervisor over to show how to put stamps through as wasn't sure. Anyway they gave me the £70 back from the stamp card in cash,so I went over to customer services and exchanged them for £70 in stamps and took 5 cards as well.

Have divided them up into 2 lots of £15 and the 3 lots of £10 on the cards. So my idea is to make them work harder over the next few months so i can stock pile the bargains.

I explained this to the woman whom I got the stamps off and all she said was "but you won't have got the extra £3 at Xmas"

No but I had saved around £16 on that one shop if I had done it buying each one seperately and when the items were not at bargain prices so even taking off the £3 bonus I am still better off -plus the stamps were a gift in the first place,even better!

I could see her mulling it all over as I left ...something for her to chat about at break time I suppose:)

My Dad bless him is totally bemused but I think he is quie impressed that I am making the stamps work for me.
    Crazy Clothes Challenge 2012 £57.20/£100,CCC 2013 £68.67/£100 ,CCC 2014 £94.32/£100
    *Frugal Living Challenge 2012, 2013, 2014*
    GC 2014 Jan £154.14/£180;Feb £103.49/£180;Mar 117.63/£160
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,618 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Ahhhhh - don't have that problem either as I've got 2! :o
    So do I - and I live on my own, but never have any space in them these days :eek:

I used the last of my oven chips on Christmas Day, but don't have the space for a new bag of them - filled the gap with a tub of ice cream and several bags of sliced turkey (after I picked up a large Whoopsied crown on 27th) :o
    Cheryl
  • Went to A5da yesterday, armed with most of my coupons, spent £78 after the coupons were taken off:D
    grocery challenge Sept 2012 £21/£399
  • mumsiemum
    mumsiemum Posts: 254 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Can anyone recommend the best place (ie cheapest :o) place to buy yeast for a bread machine?

Coming to the end of my sachets but thinking there must be a cheaper alternative!

MM
    February 2021 GC £301.45 / £300.00
    March 2021 GC £266.41 / £280.00
    April 2021 GC £53.19 / £300.00
  • I've just started going to C0stc0 recently and I now aim to go once a month to stock up on certain bits. They have toilet roll on offer atm, 10 4 roll packs for just over £10 which is good value as they seem to last (I don't just look at price as I've found some cheaper rolls get used much faster) and I got 12 packs of bacon for £9 last week that is still on offer. Lavazza coffee, Clipper tea bags and cans of tuna are other things I will now stock up on from there too.

Thanks for this has convinced me its a good idea going to apply for a costco card out of the money we have saved on groceries at the end of this month :money:

we got the cheaper loo roll in tesco a while ago and was going through twice as much so thats something I like to know too. right off to clear cupboards ready for costco trip next month :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure