Quote from Andura Guard for rendering/pointing

Comments

• In the process of doing an extension side with massive gable end. 4m front and back 6m side, 5m high +2 m apex

Had a dry cast done last week-
    materials £200-£300
    Labour £1400

All done in a couple of days (weather permitting) by a father and 2 sons. I knew the dad from my apprenticeship - he was a plasterer in the company I worked for.

To repeat what JP said- use someone local (try to get word of mouth)
    baldly going on...
  • Thanks to you guys, I guess we had a lucky escape! Whilst the "surveyor" was measuring up I "Googled" Andura Guard and your posts sprang up. Saved me a lot of time and potentially thousands of pounds we hadn't got. He was still here 3 hours!!!
    Good job all
  • bigdoozer
    bigdoozer Posts: 135 Forumite
    Modelman did I read that right £1500 sq mtr, cheesus, I do the whole terace for that. ;-(
  • Apex Direct Promotions turned up on my doorstep in Bognor Regis, West Sussex, this evening. I smelt a rat - and, I kid you not, drink on the guy's breath - straight away. Same story as others I've found online - something about the houses in the street being built before the war (ours is clearly only a few years old, but that didn't deter him) and weathering/subsidence etc etc. Told me he wasn't selling anything but that they wanted my number for someone else to call me to arrange a free assessment. And that all my neighbours had opted for an evening call. Yeah, right, I thought. When I told him I wasn't interested in a call at any time night or day he was already turning to go. I asked him if he wanted his leaflet back - an 'Entitlement Voucher', no less - but said I'd keep it in our file for local companies (at which point I noticed the company was apparently based in Edgware, not Bognor or even Sussex) and he said I could keep it.

From what I've read online, these guys are definitely ones to avoid.
  • Apex direct promotions are in Southampton at the moment, with exactly the same sales pitch they seem to have been using everywhere else.

I had to smile at the tactic of telling me that most of my neighbours had opted for an evening appointment and would I prefer an evening or daytime visit, rather than asking me if I wanted a visit at all, but having often used this tactic myself with small children, I evaded her question and when I said I didn't want the visit at all she just walked away, no persuasion, nothing.

I don't really understand cold calling, even I wanted the product they were selling, I would in principle get it from someone else as I object so strongly to being bothered in my own home.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 21 October 2009 at 1:18PM
    Yesterday a female rep from above company rang our doorbell in SE London and tried to persuade my OH to get a 'free assessment of the exterior wall surfaces'. I overheard the sales pitch and sent the rep packing, but not before the rep had our details. Hopefully we wont be choked with spam directly or indirectly from them.
  • CiderBoy
    CiderBoy Posts: 61 Forumite
    Just had them knock on the door here in East Bristol.

I told them the first thing I'd do when I closed the door was Google the company and invited him to hang around whilst I did - he didn't!
    :rotfl:
  • Just to inform everybody that Apex were in the Totteridge area of High Wycombe last week trying to get people to have a survey by Anduraguard. I am the Neighbourhood Watch Co-ordinator for our road and I emailed my members warning them and advised them to google both Apex and Anduraguard for information. I Also informed our local Trading Standards that they are 'at it again'. We have had Pearl XPS coming round in the past, on more that one occassion, and they were also reported to TS.
  • kernowayr
    kernowayr Posts: 65 Forumite
    edited 2 December 2009 at 6:54PM
    Just had an unsolicited doorstep visit from a young girl purporting to be working for "Apex Direct Promotions Limited" who wanted to know (a) if I owned the property (b) could give her a telephone contact number, so their client (Andura Guard I think) could ring me up and fix up a convenient appt. for a free survey of the exterior condition of my property re. rendering, pointing and similar "major" works items.

I sent her packing with a flee in her ear on the basis (a) I had never heard of the company (b) was wary about giving out contact details to her on impulse and (c) would probably not be interested in the product/type of works she was (ultimately) selling. It seems, from reading this site & others, that my hunch about the whole thing sounding a bit dodgy was not unfounded and the matter has therefore been reported to local Police and also to Consumer Direct/Trading Standards.

This was in Croydon/London SE25/Thornton Heath area btw (and it was pitch black outside by the time she made the visit - that in itself seems a bit strange don't you think?).
  • Same script I had to listen to as reported here!
    nclp197 wrote: »
    Apex direct promotions are in Southampton at the moment, with exactly the same sales pitch they seem to have been using everywhere else.

I had to smile at the tactic of telling me that most of my neighbours had opted for an evening appointment and would I prefer an evening or daytime visit, rather than asking me if I wanted a visit at all, but having often used this tactic myself with small children, I evaded her question and when I said I didn't want the visit at all she just walked away, no persuasion, nothing.

I don't really understand cold calling, even I wanted the product they were selling, I would in principle get it from someone else as I object so strongly to being bothered in my own home.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure