PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Ches
    Ches Posts: 1,120 Forumite
    OH went to work away this morning and won't be home until Friday evening so I will just manage on whats in the cupboard and fridge this week. Can never be bothered to cook for just me so will be some odd things eaten this week I expect. NSD again for me.
    Mortgage and Debt free but need to increase savings pot. :think:
  • susan946
    susan946 Posts: 474 Forumite
    Sorry, am i being stupid? usually 75p, on offer @ 2 for £1.50? So, the same unit price as usual then.

No, you're not being stupid. Should have said 2 for £1.00 - 50p each. Sorry about that. Have edited original post now. Thanks for pointing it out!!!!!!!!!! Think I need to put the brain cells on recharge..........:o
  • skintscotslass
    skintscotslass Posts: 2,860 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi everyone :wave:

I've been neglecting this thread due to my house move. I'm now settled in at my Mum and Dads house. They are in Australia with DD for 6 weeks and I move into my new house in about 2 months.

Angelnicki - My target for July is £100

Thank you for looking after the thread. MrsM - big hugs to you xx

Firstly, I need to re-organise my Mum's fridges. Its doing my head in!!! She has 2 small fridges in the kitchen and a fridge freezer and a large freezer in the cellar :confused: She doesnt seem to have a system with the 2 fridges. I'm thinking meat and dairy in one fridge and veggies/tins/bottles etc in the other. I also need to remember that the freezers are in the cellar!
  • roxy7699
    roxy7699 Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    NSD for me. Although I have earmarked 50p for DD's no uniform day on friday
  • Bought Tesco own brand concentrated fabric cond, will let you know how it is. If i dont like it i'll just go back to Lenor or Comfort(i buy whats on offer).

I used to buy comfort fabric softner but last time bought asda own brand and too be honest I have halved the amount I put in and find the smell nicer :D than comfort I am converted to own brand(not to value yet but getting there!) next time I am going for own brand washing powder(well liquid version)
    Thanks to MSE savings we got to go to Disneyworld Florida.

• Floxxie
    Floxxie Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Thank you for the warm welcome everybody!

I really need to get myself organised on the budget side. Have just realised that my children break up for school on Friday and I would normally get the teacher a small present but I only have £3.09 to last until next week!

I thought I would also share a recipe I found in a Rosemary Conley book so low fat - v. good. I have adapted it...

you need:
    potatoes
    onion
    vegetable stock.

Slice the potatoes and onion thinly (I keep the skin on the potatoes). Put a layer of potato and then onion and then potato in a dish (I use a lasagne dish). Cover with vegetable stock (make it to your preference) and pop into the oven at 200C, 400F until cooked (I give it between 40 mins and 1 hour)

I serve with sausages and veg,
    HTH.

Floxxie
    Mortgage start September 2015 £90000 MFiT #06
  • annelouise_2
    annelouise_2 Posts: 360 Forumite
    Had a bathroom clearout yesterday and have 3/4 shards of 1/2 - 3/4 pieces of soap.Sensitive like OH!!!!

So when I get through this last bottle of detergent I'm going to make the washing gloop I've heard so much about.

Will let you know how it goes.

Reading Express nline found a nice pasta amatriciana recipe,I've MSE'D it and this is how I'll make it

400g penne pasta
    400g bacon (lardons,streaky,bacon offcuts)
    2 onions finely chopped
    1 tin value tomatoes
    Dash chili paste or chili flakes
    125mls red wine
    mixed herbs
    3 handfuls strong cheese and parmesan grated and mixed

Fry bacon 3-4mins,add onions fry till soft 15min
    Stir in chili,pour in wine
    Turn up heat,stir in tomatoes and herbs
    Simmer for 2 hrs stirring occasionlly (do we think it will need this long????)
    Turn off ,stir in cheese,add to cooked pasta,black pepper
    Serve

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
  • michelle06
    michelle06 Posts: 6 Forumite
    hi im michelle and im very new to this,
    so whats the deal - i tell you the budget i want to spend over july and then moniter it?
  • SuziQ
    SuziQ Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    Could someone please remind me of the site that shows where the offers are-it was something like supermarket.com but that doesn't work.
    Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it!
  • Floxxie
    Floxxie Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Mortgage start September 2015 £90000 MFiT #06
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business