We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Fly repellent

I noticed that my violas in my window boxes were shrivelling, closer inspection was they were covered in green/white fly. I started soaking them in shop bought fly spray and soapy water too. We had a week of torrential rain and I've just looked at them again. Every single one of my pots That were blooming are shrivelled with flies. I never have problems with flies on violas normally, I'm gutted.
Any advice?

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Use a systemic fly killer regularly as advised on the packet.
  • chimpysmith
    chimpysmith Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    I was out there every day soaking the window boxes in fly killer��
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,199 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    If you are talking white flies they are notoriously hard to kill now the more toxic chemicals have been withdrawn. A systemic should sort them, but systemics are not instant death, like systemic weedkillers, needs time to work
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • chimpysmith
    I'm so nervous that it's going to spread to the rest of my pots. It's effecting about 70% so far. Just wondering if to bin all of them as spraying them every day doesn't seem to be helping. I hate throwing plants though.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,199 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Are these indoors or greenhouses?
    Out in the fresh air normally inhibits them
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Farway wrote: »
    Are these indoors or greenhouses?
    Out in the fresh air normally inhibits them

I had a similar problem with whitefly on some peppers I was growing in the conservatory. I managed to move peppers plus containers outside and the insects (especially hover flies) soon removed all the little beggars.
  • chimpysmith
    Unfortunately these are all outside .
  • Alfrescodave
    Alfrescodave Posts: 990 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'm so nervous that it's going to spread to the rest of my pots. It's effecting about 70% so far. Just wondering if to bin all of them as spraying them every day doesn't seem to be helping. I hate throwing plants though.

I think that if 70% are already infected then I'd be biting the bullet and dump the lot - sometimes Mother Nature wins and we mere mortals have to accept defeat.

You still have time to achieve a good display this year if you restock now - Jersey Plants seem to bombard my inbox every day with offers.
  • chimpysmith
    Thankyou I think you're right. Bit worried they'll come back so think I'll have to dump the flowers and the compost beacause that's got a crust on it that doesn't look good. I'll just get a few new plants but not pansy's. Maybe marigolds or lobelia because they don't seem as interested in those.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure