PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2009 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Princess M - I buy the ham 'hocks' prepacked in our local Co-0p whenever I can get them. They are fine for freezing and cheap enough to buy 4 or 5 at a time whenever I can get them. I'm useless at slicing meat off them because I'm so fussy about fat but still manage to get enough to make a couple of meals from the one hock after making the lentil soup. This time I added butter beans along with the veggies, so it bulked it out even more. :)

Still trying to work out if staying within budget is a possibility this year but the list of what I'm running out of is getting longer. Ever hopeful though...
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • scotsaver
    scotsaver Posts: 824 Forumite
    Hi everyone - well I was fully recovered yesterday and hit the shops but stayed within my list and Budget.:j

Made a Chicken Tikka Masala last night, HM Onion Bahjis and a Tarka Dhal but it wasn't a total hit with the family. The Dhal and Bhajis recipes were from the Economy Gastronomy programme and the Chicken Tikka was a Gordon Ramsay recipe. Will have a look on here for alternatives as these are dishes that I know the family normally like when bought from a Takeaway so it was probably down to a bad choice of Recipe, hopefully not down to my cooking.:o

Dinner tonight is Roast Lamb and all the trimmings. Must get into the Kitchen and get some cookies/cakes made so that we are well stocked for the Half Term holiday this week.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone.:D
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Ninno820 wrote: »
    ... this is the first month in the past year that I have had money left over at the end of the month.

we should celebrate our successes! :T
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • so far this month £226 this is good because husband has not been in tesco for some time
    Grocery Challenge Feb 16 £346 /400
  • mrssnowy_2
    mrssnowy_2 Posts: 403 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 25 October 2009 at 11:11PM
    Hello all
    Been missing for a while,due to ...holiday ,work,weekends away,work,course on family planning,fundraisng,WI,work,glut of fruit and veg which led to chutney marathon:rotfl:oh still being OS but lost count of spends.
    After advice please.
    I will be making about 12 Christmas puds soon(fundraising again)don't mind the making but the steaming drives me mad and takes forever.Borrow Mums PC,use my PC and SC-but only 2 puds in each at a time-any suggestions ? Apart from buy them from Aldis.

mrss
    You can't stay young for ever,but you can be immature for the rest of your life.
  • Emma285
    Emma285 Posts: 63 Forumite
    Is it too late to join for this month?

I'm budgeting for a £160 spend this month - first month i've kept track of things and we're upto £150 with only veg / milk/ bread to get next week! There's 2 of us plus baby.
  • helen_jelly
    helen_jelly Posts: 2,982 Forumite
    Ninno820 - well done
    Scotsaver - I love HM Indian and Takeaway but the taste between the 2 is vast, yours probably tastes far better!! but the family are just not used to it maybe
    Emma285 - Hi and welcome, check out the recipes on page 1 and please ask any old question, there are lots of really helpful people on here who will give you any help you need, is your budget of £160 for Oct or Nov.

Budgets done up to and including brokemedic - thanks everyone
    Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • elizabunny
    elizabunny Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    edited 25 October 2009 at 7:32PM
    Hello everyone,
    Still managing to struggle around in the kitchen, so I made a huge pot of leek and lentil soup today, with a sort of oriental theme, using veggies from the garden.
    3 garden leeks
    Handful of garden baby carrots
    Handful of garden french beans
    A few garden peas
    1 garden parsnip
    1 stick of celery
    1 cup cooked red lentils
    Half cup uncooked long grain rice
    About 3 pints Chicken stock/Water
    Mixed garden herbs to taste
    1 Teaspoon Five Spice
    Salt & Pepper seasoning
    I chopped everything up and put it into a large pan with the stock and brought it to the boil and simmered for about 45 mins until thickened. Lastly I added the chopped herbs and seasoning. Think this might be nice with some cheesy croutons. Haven't tried it properly yet.
    Sorry my recipes are a bit vague, I'm a bit of a 'chuck anything in' person:o.
    My NSD yesterday actually cost me £3.89:D I needed Detergent, Plain Flour and 6 Eggs -oh well..........
    Have a good evening everyone!

Footnote: Mmm yummy soup.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022 :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    elizabunny wrote: »
    ... Mmm yummy soup.

Thanks elizabunny, yummy soup recipe now in the index :D and also on my meal plan for next week.

glad to hear you're feeling a little better but please take care of yourself;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Had another NSD today, mainly due to a massive hangover after last night's party:o:o
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family