Dreams bed Superstore??? Complaints?

Hi all,

I recently ordered a bed from Dreams, i spent nearly £800 and was told the bed would be delivered the next week, i was then called up to say it would be ten days later than expected which was fine, the day of delivery i arranged to have the carpets cleaned and the bed put together by a handyman i know, the bed turned up and we opened the packages in the room the bed was going into, there was severe damage to one side piece the headboard and the bit the mattress was to sit on was missing, i re ordered the bed through customer services who said this was the only thing they could do which took another week, this meant me sleeping on the sofa for a week with kidney problems. When they put the new bed together they discovered the mattress was too small, so they re-ordered another one which took another four weeks.

I contacted them about this requested some compensation for the fact that my bed was not complete and all the hassle it took to get another one and they said it was my fault because i had opened the bed myself so they could not be held responsible for any damage, even though their delivery people had put the packaging in the room themselves, i mean how are you supposed to know if there is damage unless you open the boxes which weren't damaged themsselves.

I would like to know if anyone else has had similar problems with dreams and how they resolved them? They didn't even mention the mattress issue.

Carli

Comments

• Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    carlih1 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I recently ordered a bed from Dreams, i spent nearly £800 and was told the bed would be delivered the next week, i was then called up to say it would be ten days later than expected which was fine, the day of delivery i arranged to have the carpets cleaned and the bed put together by a handyman i know, the bed turned up and we opened the packages in the room the bed was going into, there was severe damage to one side piece the headboard and the bit the mattress was to sit on was missing, i re ordered the bed through customer services who said this was the only thing they could do which took another week, this meant me sleeping on the sofa for a week with kidney problems. When they put the new bed together they discovered the mattress was too small, so they re-ordered another one which took another four weeks.

I contacted them about this requested some compensation for the fact that my bed was not complete and all the hassle it took to get another one and they said it was my fault because i had opened the bed myself so they could not be held responsible for any damage, even though their delivery people had put the packaging in the room themselves, i mean how are you supposed to know if there is damage unless you open the boxes which weren't damaged themsselves.

I would like to know if anyone else has had similar problems with dreams and how they resolved them? They didn't even mention the mattress issue.

Carli

I'm not going to say too much as I am in competition with Dreams. However you have given them more than enough chances to sort the problem out, and they still haven't resolved the issues. So the best thing to do would be to ask for a full refund, then go and buy a similar bed on line for much less. If they are difficult about giving a refund, then tell them you will report them to trading standards.
  • Hi everyone , nice to be on this amazing forum, just wanted to add my experience with DreamsPLC . Ordered a bed 3 wks ago ,from their " Sale"( Lightening Fast Delivery!! Excellent customer service , LOL ). Having done some research on here ,it would appear that they are having a laugh at customers right from the word go! It is, I take it from their customer helpline, standard practice, to make you wait a month, for your bed, not to answer E mails ,unless it suits them , and not to answer the phone or cut you off. Considering they take your money ,the day you order over the net ,and make you wait 28 days ,its a disgrace. While I am resigned to waiting the month ,(why is their no stock of a sale item for gods sake!) I have considered trying to ask for my money back ,but not sure if thats an easy thing to do?
    As I said ,nice to be here !
  • Tracy_E_A
    Tracy_E_A Posts: 104 Forumite
    Oh dear, i was going to buy a kids bed from there as the price was really good. Might take a chance as i have bunk beds for now. Hope you get the problem sorted OP.
  • Tim_Deegan
    Tracy_E_A wrote: »
    Oh dear, i was going to buy a kids bed from there as the price was really good. Might take a chance as i have bunk beds for now. Hope you get the problem sorted OP.

You would be far better buying on line.

I know that many people are very wary about buying items like beds from ebay. However if you follow a few guidelines then you can save up to 75% on the shop prices:

1) most important of all make sure that the seller gives a 100% satisfaction guarantee.

2) check previous feedback for the seller, and even contact previous customers to ask them about the seller.

3) use a company who display their phone number, so that you can talk to someone about your requirements (they want you to make the right choice because it will cost them if you return it).

4) check the sellers return policy. Many sellers charge for postage on returns.....can work out very expensive if you have unpacked a vacuum packed mattress, and you don't like it.

5) try to use a seller who delivers using their own transport. Couriers often damage or misplace goods (believe me I know from experience).

Obviously you can't try before you buy, but for the saving it is worth the risk if you follow the guidelines above.
  • carlih1
    carlih1 Posts: 846 Forumite

I would say go for it but since i used dreams all i have heard is bad press, i would rather pay a bit more than go through what i did, all in all it was a nightmare!

Carlih1
  • carlih1
    carlih1 Posts: 846 Forumite
    Tim_Deegan wrote: »
    I'm not going to say too much as I am in competition with Dreams. However you have given them more than enough chances to sort the problem out, and they still haven't resolved the issues. So the best thing to do would be to ask for a full refund, then go and buy a similar bed on line for much less. If they are difficult about giving a refund, then tell them you will report them to trading standards.

I have had the bed since christmas though, i love the bed in it's final state, it was all the hassle i went through just trying to get the thing to the finished product. Also how can they say it is my fault that the product was delivered damaged?
  • Tim_Deegan
    carlih1 wrote: »
    Also how can they say it is my fault that the product was delivered damaged?

It's what is known as 'trying it on'. Many big stores will do this unless you hit them straight back with a threat to contact trading standards.
  • Tim_Deegan wrote: »
    You would be far better buying on line.

I know that many people are very wary about buying items like beds from ebay. However if you follow a few guidelines then you can save up to 75% on the shop prices:

1) most important of all make sure that the seller gives a 100% satisfaction guarantee.

2) check previous feedback for the seller, and even contact previous customers to ask them about the seller.

3) use a company who display their phone number, so that you can talk to someone about your requirements (they want you to make the right choice because it will cost them if you return it).

4) check the sellers return policy. Many sellers charge for postage on returns.....can work out very expensive if you have unpacked a vacuum packed mattress, and you don't like it.

5) try to use a seller who delivers using their own transport. Couriers often damage or misplace goods (believe me I know from experience).

Obviously you can't try before you buy, but for the saving it is worth the risk if you follow the guidelines above.

I have never ordered anything from ebay but will have a look. I would prefer to ring and order so thank you for the advice.
  • Tim_Deegan
    I have never ordered anything from ebay but will have a look. I would prefer to ring and order so thank you for the advice.

Quite a few sellers do advertise their phone numbers.
  • Hi Again ,Just a quick note to my "moan " from above ,I rang the local Dreams shop at Shrewsbury ,and asked the lady who answered ,if I could change my order for a bed of the same value ,that was being advertised that very day! She said she could not ,which was no suprise ,and that every bed came from a central warehouse! ,but she asked which one had been ordered ,and when I said Oakwood ,she looked on her computer and it told her there was a 5 week wait for that one and 2 weeks on the one I had enquired about. As I,ve already waited 3 weeks it makes no sense to change ,but the realisation has now sunk in ,how basically they take the orders on the "Sale" beds and then just send them out when they are made!! So much for the Lightening Fast delivery advertised on the local radio! Also another giraffe ,is the very large page devoted to Satisfied customers and the wonderful customer service,Yea Right!! I wont rush to buy again and the bed is going right back if there is the slightest problem.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure