Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • abiabc
    • By abiabc 24th May 19, 11:02 AM
    • 17Posts
    • 8Thanks
    abiabc
    E.on Fix Online v20
    • 24th May 19, 11:02 AM
    E.on Fix Online v20 24th May 19 at 11:02 AM
    Hi Malc/Helena

I am trying to sign up to Fix Online v20 from Energy Plan.

The language for smart meters has been softened in the information about the tariff - thanks to you guys for feeding back and this being done.

The language in the information says:-

Free Smart Meter Installation and

We'll contact you to offer a free smart meter installation if eligible.

Nothing about having to agree to them or only staying on the tariff if they can't be fitted.

However, in the terms and conditions when you get to the end it is no different to the compulsory smart meter tariffs. It says:-

I understand that by choosing this tariff, I’m happy to be contacted about smart meters and have them fitted in my home. I’m also aware that I’ll stay on this tariff if E.ON can’t install them.

This is the same phrase as on all the compulsory tariffs. I don't mind being contacted - but I don't want to be forced to have them even if eligible.

This is from the terms and conditions on Fix Online v20. You don't see this until right at the end of signing up. I think it is probably a mistake that this has not been softened/changed also or I could be really cynical and view it as a trap. But I really don't want Smart Meters yet and can't sign up with this terminology.

Please can you chase it up with the powers that be. I really want to stay with E.on but may not be able to cope much longer with the EnergyPlan prices. I was on a really good fix until the beginning of this month.

Many thanks
    Abi
Page 4
    • oliverbrown
    • By oliverbrown 19th Jun 19, 10:58 AM
    • 87 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    oliverbrown
    In reply to the E.On Rep can I ask is what you are saying is that a smart meter is not mandatory on a Fix Online Exclusive V4 tariff ?
    Originally posted by 1854
    Ultimately it matters not what the E.on reps say, the T&C take precedence. The reps will put pressure on you in whatever way to accept a smart meter but they haven't stipulated it in the T&C.

To anyone considering E.on I would say go for it, and when you get "the call" politely ask where in the T&C it says you must accept a smart meter (it doesn't).
    • Biscuit Tin
    • By Biscuit Tin 19th Jun 19, 11:43 AM
    • 321 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    Biscuit Tin
    In reply to the E.On Rep can I ask is what you are saying is that a smart meter is not mandatory on a Fix Online Exclusive V4 tariff ?

If so this is contrary to what I have been informed in 2 telephone conversations with E.On staff which led to my cancelling a Fix Online Exclusive V4 contract , and on subsequently querying an 'Activate your Account' email, received after cancellation, the email reply back from E.On also confirmed that smart meters were mandatory across all fixed tariff options, though not on variable rate tariffs.
    You'll need smart meters (one for gas, one for electricity) to get this deal - unless they can't be fitted for technical reasons. If you don't have one, E.on will install it for free and you won't need to give meter readings in future.
    https://clubs.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub/register?isCollectiveSwitchRegistration=true&targe t=%2Fcheapenergyclub%2Fresults%3Fsort%3DbigName
    • nigelbb
    • By nigelbb 19th Jun 19, 12:22 PM
    • 2,443 Posts
    • 3,226 Thanks
    nigelbb
    Ultimately it matters not what the E.on reps say, the T&C take precedence. The reps will put pressure on you in whatever way to accept a smart meter but they haven't stipulated it in the T&C.

To anyone considering E.on I would say go for it, and when you get "the call" politely ask where in the T&C it says you must accept a smart meter (it doesn't).
    Originally posted by oliverbrown
    I agree. I have just initiated a switch to E.ON - Fix Online Exclusive v4 . I don't currently have a smart meter nor do I want one as I see no benefit to me at all. As per the T&Cs I have agreed to be contacted re installation of a smart meter but will decline if offered a smart meter. If a smart meter was mandatory then the T&Cs would explicitly state that you must agree to installation to take advantage of the tariff.
  • E.ON Company Representative: Malc
    E.ON Fix Online Exclusive

If so this is contrary to what I have been informed in 2 telephone conversations with E.On staff which led to my cancelling a Fix Online Exclusive V4 contract , and on subsequently querying an 'Activate your Account' email, received after cancellation, the email reply back from E.On also confirmed that smart meters were mandatory across all fixed tariff options, though not on variable rate tariffs.

Hello 1854 and I'm sorry you had to cancel a switch following conversations with our advisors.

Smart meters aren't mandatory. The T&Cs on certain tariffs have been amended recently to state customers agree to be contacted about having smart meters installed as per my previous posts above. This change has now been briefed out so advisors are aware.

Hope this explains 1854.

Malc
    “Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    I agree. I have just initiated a switch to E.ON - Fix Online Exclusive v4 . I don't currently have a smart meter nor do I want one as I see no benefit to me at all. As per the T&Cs I have agreed to be contacted re installation of a smart meter but will decline if offered a smart meter. If a smart meter was mandatory then the T&Cs would explicitly state that you must agree to installation to take advantage of the tariff.
    Originally posted by nigelbb

Hello nigelbb and thanks for joining us.

You're right. As above, the T&Cs for our Fix Online Exclusive say customers agree to be contacted about having smart meters. You can turn these offers down at any time.

Thanks again nigelbb.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • oliverbrown
    • By oliverbrown 20th Jun 19, 10:53 AM
    • 87 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    oliverbrown
    Malc,

I note in your initial reply in this thread you said "the advisor will discuss the options available at that point including transferring to a different tariff".

It now turns out one of the options is remaining on the existing tariff.

Have all your agents have been briefed on this, so as to prevent misleading customers into thinking this is not an option?
    • emc
    • By emc 20th Jun 19, 12:17 PM
    • 225 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    emc
    Hi Malc,

You say that smart meters aren't compulsory, and that the customer is agreeing only to be contacted about smart meters and can turn down these offers anytime and remain eligible for the Fix Online Exclusive v4 tariff.

With this tariff you agree to be contacted during the tariff term for the installation of a smart meter. You are still eligible for this tariff if you currently have a smart meter installed or your property is currently ineligible for a smart meter.
    Originally posted by E.ON Company Representative: Malc
    However, your quoted statement above contradicts what you say, because the second sentence implies that the customer will not be eligible for this tariff if the property does not have a smart meter but is eligible for a smart meter.

One way to make it clear that the customer will remain eligible for the tariff without accepting a smart meter irrespective of other pre-conditions would be to change the second statement to: "You are still eligible for this tariff if you do not agree to having a smart meter installed."

This last sentence should also be reflected formally in the terms and conditions for the tariff, and as oliverbrown says, the agents must be briefed on this, to stop trying to force customers into taking a smart meter when people have the right, and may have strong and valid reasons, to refuse to have a smart meter.
    • oliverbrown
    • By oliverbrown 20th Jun 19, 12:24 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    oliverbrown
    However, your quoted statement above contradicts what you say, because the second sentence implies that the customer will not be eligible for this tariff if the property does not have a smart meter but is eligible for a smart meter.
    Originally posted by emc
    It's clever because that implication does not explicitly negate the ability for the customer to be eligible for the tariff if they do not have and do not agree to a smart meter.

It's possible their lawyers worded it in such a way to encourage that line of thinking without explicitly saying say so, because explicitly saying so would probably not be compatible with the legally optional nature of smart meters.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 20th Jun 19, 12:44 PM
    • 35,207 Posts
    • 41,277 Thanks
    Browntoa
    On the strength of this thread and looking at the tariff I've advised my elderly mother in law to switch . She does not want a smart meter , she doesn't want to be pestered by EON to fit one and on checking the tariff cost quickly bulb ( and probably others) are cheaper .

Well shot in the foot EON , you are losing customers as you won't give an option that has " we won't fit or call about fitting a smart meter"
    Last edited by Browntoa; 20-06-2019 at 3:15 PM.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Novice investor101
    • By Novice investor101 20th Jun 19, 1:06 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 1,277 Thanks
    Novice investor101
    I've signed up to this V20 tariff, booked my SMETS 2 install & turns out it won't work in my house as there's no signal to the meter. I've now got a new digital electric meter with a reading of 0000000.
    I'm expecting the engineer will inform E.on that an install isn't possible & also of the old & meter readings? Although I did send in my meter readings just this morning before the guy turned up. Slightly disappointed as I had come round to the idea of having Smart meters.
    E.ON Fix Online
    Malc,

I note in your initial reply in this thread you said "the advisor will discuss the options available at that point including transferring to a different tariff".

It now turns out one of the options is remaining on the existing tariff.

Have all your agents have been briefed on this, so as to prevent misleading customers into thinking this is not an option?

Hello oliverbrown and you're right. When I posted initially almost a month ago, customers categorically refusing smart meters were to be offered alternative tariffs depending on what was available when contacted. This reflected the situation at that time.

I also said in the same post about feeding customer concerns back to the relevant people. This we've done and the position has been reviewed in the light of this feedback leading to the following.

With this tariff you agree to be contacted during the tariff term for the installation of a smart meter. You are still eligible for this tariff if you currently have a smart meter installed or your property is currently ineligible for a smart meter.

A briefing has gone out to all advisors and we've asked for this to be repeated in case anyone missed it.

Many thanks for the continuing feedback oliverbrown. It's really useful.

Malc
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 21st Jun 19, 12:07 PM
    • 39,688 Posts
    • 23,684 Thanks
    Quentin
    Hello oliverbrown and you're right. When I posted initially almost a month ago, customers categorically refusing smart meters were to be offered alternative tariffs depending on what was available when contacted. This reflected the situation at that time.

I also said in the same post about feeding customer concerns back to the relevant people. This we've done and the position has been reviewed in the light of this feedback leading to the following.

A briefing has gone out to all advisors and we've asked for this to be repeated in case anyone missed it.

Many thanks for the continuing feedback oliverbrown. It's really useful.

Malc
    So are you now saying you were correct all along and you cannot stay on the tariff unless agreeing to the smart meter or the property is ineligible?
    • Takmon
    • By Takmon 24th Jun 19, 8:59 AM
    • 674 Posts
    • 660 Thanks
    Takmon
    On the strength of this thread and looking at the tariff I've advised my elderly mother in law to switch . She does not want a smart meter , she doesn't want to be pestered by EON to fit one and on checking the tariff cost quickly bulb ( and probably others) are cheaper .

Well shot in the foot EON , you are losing customers as you won't give an option that has " we won't fit or call about fitting a smart meter"
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    Elderly people are the one's most likely to benefit from smart meters because they are less likely to submit regular meter readings due to less access to the internet and mobility issues with age.

You should tell her there is no logical reason to not have one.
    Hi Malc,

You say that smart meters aren't compulsory, and that the customer is agreeing only to be contacted about smart meters and can turn down these offers anytime and remain eligible for the Fix Online Exclusive v4 tariff.

One way to make it clear that the customer will remain eligible for the tariff without accepting a smart meter irrespective of other pre-conditions would be to change the second statement to: "You are still eligible for this tariff if you do not agree to having a smart meter installed."

This last sentence should also be reflected formally in the terms and conditions for the tariff, and as oliverbrown says, the agents must be briefed on this, to stop trying to force customers into taking a smart meter when people have the right, and may have strong and valid reasons, to refuse to have a smart meter.
    Originally posted by emc

Hello emc and your initial statement is right.

With our Fix Online Exclusive tariff, customers only agree to be contacted about smart meters. They can turn these offers down and stay on this tariff.

The second sentence of the T&Cs you mention is aimed at customers who already have smart meters and those whose properties aren't currently eligible for them. This advises these customers can also have this tariff.

This forms part of our formal T&Cs and has been briefed to advisors.

Thanks emc.

Malc
    E.ON Smart Meters
    I've signed up to this V20 tariff, booked my SMETS 2 install & turns out it won't work in my house as there's no signal to the meter. I've now got a new digital electric meter with a reading of 0000000.
    I'm expecting the engineer will inform E.on that an install isn't possible & also of the old & meter readings? Although I did send in my meter readings just this morning before the guy turned up. Slightly disappointed as I had come round to the idea of having Smart meters.
    Originally posted by Novice investor101
    Hello Novice investor101 and I'm sorry we're unable to fit smart meters at the moment.

They're not available everywhere yet. Things like the area, type of property, strength of the mobile phone signal and the current metering set up sometimes stop us from putting them in. There are also certain local difficulties that don't become clear until a technician is on site. We're working to eliminate these difficulties and will be in touch once we've sorted the problems.

Don't worry about the tariff. You can stay on this even though we're not currently able to let you have smart meters.

I can confirm, technicians send us details following meter exchanges.

Thanks for your patience Novice investor101.

Malc
    • oliverbrown
    • By oliverbrown 25th Jun 19, 11:29 AM
    • 87 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    oliverbrown
    With our Fix Online Exclusive tariff, customers only agree to be contacted about smart meters. They can turn these offers down and stay on this tariff.
    Thank you for finally putting down in writing the words which the T&C should carry.
    So are you now saying you were correct all along and you cannot stay on the tariff unless agreeing to the smart meter or the property is ineligible?
    Originally posted by Quentin

Hello Quentin and sorry I wasn't clear last Friday.

Hope this is clearer.

Malc
    Thank you for finally putting down in writing the words which the T&C should carry.
    You're welcome oliverbrown.

Malc
    • Novice investor101
    • By Novice investor101 25th Jun 19, 2:39 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 1,277 Thanks
    Novice investor101
    Although I am genuinely disappointed I wasn't able to have smart meters installed, I will confess that the service from E.on was excellent. I was able to go online & book my install appointment for the next day &, even without the smart meters, my new digital one (an old dial meter was replaced) was showing on my online account the very next day too, ready to take new readings. I was pretty impressed that the whole thing was done & dusted in less than 48 hours with minimal disruption.
    E.ON Metering
    Although I am genuinely disappointed I wasn't able to have smart meters installed, I will confess that the service from E.on was excellent. I was able to go online & book my install appointment for the next day &, even without the smart meters, my new digital one (an old dial meter was replaced) was showing on my online account the very next day too, ready to take new readings. I was pretty impressed that the whole thing was done & dusted in less than 48 hours with minimal disruption.
    Originally posted by Novice investor101

Hello Novice investor101 and many thanks for your positive comments.

I share your disappointment about the smart meters and am pleased the rest of your experience was up to scratch.

Thanks again for taking the time to post. It's really appreciated.

Malc
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,186Posts Today

8,954Users online

Martin's Twitter