Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th May 10, 8:33 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    June 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 26th May 10, 8:33 PM
    June 2010 Grocery Challenge 26th May 10 at 8:33 PM
    Hi everyone,

Appologies that ithe thread is a little bit later than usual...unfortunately I've been bit wrapped up in real life. Anyway...Welcome to the sixth Grocery Challenge of the year.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your May budget, then keep on posting in the May 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

Wishing you all a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-05-2010 at 1:23 AM.
Page 14
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 5th Jun 10, 5:59 PM
    • 4,328 Posts
    • 29,793 Thanks
    tessie bear
    hi..just had a nice roast chicken tea...salad not veg with it...local butchers is selling 2 nice chickens for £7 they are very nice think i might go back and get some more

i prepped a bad of bramleys and 2 punnets of plums and put in the freeze yesterday...they will be nice for crumbles or pies...both were reduced to 30p so a bit of a bargain

off to ikea tomorrow and might manage a hot dog...and an icecream

bye tess
    onwards and upwards
  • wssla00
    all food(including eating out or cups of tea/coffee in cafes etc)
    laundry stuff Yep
    dog food Cat food and litter-Yep
    toiletries yep
    loo roll and kitchen roll yep
    bin bags etc yep
    hairdressers visits nope
    newspapers and magazines yep
    cinema visits no- but that's cos I have an unlimited card so never want to spend any money on food either when I'm there
    birthday cards, gift wrap etc yep
    "feminine hygiene" stuff (this costs me loads as we are three females!) yep

What do you all include?
    Originally posted by recovering spendaholic
    That's about it really- the odd takeaway in there too if we have them and snacks out and about!
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
    • greent
    • By greent 5th Jun 10, 6:57 PM
    • 8,134 Posts
    • 82,587 Thanks
    greent
    Hi - I am still getting used to this challenge so apologies if I keep asking stupid stuff! I have found that I am already reducing the total amount I am cooking for each meal so that my portion sizes are better - I used to cook loads and often threw leftovers away. I wanted to ask what you all include in the GC? Some of your targets seem really low to me and I just can't imagine ever achieving anything like them. There are three of us and a dog and I am including:
    all food(including eating out or cups of tea/coffee in cafes etc)yes - but not 'special' meals out -eg birthdays
    laundry stuffyes
    dog food yes - well, guinea pigs!
    toiletries yes
    loo roll and kitchen roll yes
    bin bags etc yes
    hairdressers visits no
    newspapers and magazines yes
    cinema visits no - entertainment
    birthday cards, gift wrap etc - yes
    "feminine hygiene" stuff (this costs me loads as we are three females!) - used to but DD too young and I've had a hysterectomy - but will be yes when necessary for DD

What do you all include?

I include takeaways too - and any coffees/ snacks DH buys on the train - if he tells me!!! I also include any alcohol for consumption at home or that we take to someone else's. ANy entertaining at home also come out of GC - eg: BBQ 2 weekends ago when some family announced they were coming to visit that morning!
    Last edited by greent; 05-06-2010 at 8:47 PM.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £2418.57/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £173.62/£500
    • Spiggle
    • By Spiggle 5th Jun 10, 6:57 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 14,202 Thanks
    Spiggle
    all food(including eating out or cups of tea/coffee in cafes etc) Not eating out/cafe comes out of pocket money
    laundry stuff yes
    dog food Wh****s but not cats' special diet food
    toiletries Depends, shower gel/shampoo/soap/etc yes but make up no
    loo roll and kitchen roll yes
    bin bags etc yes I would if I bought them
    hairdressers visits no
    newspapers and magazines no
    cinema visits no
    birthday cards, gift wrap etc yes
    "feminine hygiene" stuff (this costs me loads as we are three females!) yes

What do you all include?
    Hi recovering, unless it's for others that we're entertaining, all booze comes out of our £15 each per week pocket money. And there are only the two of us and two gorgeous cats. GD1 comes to stay once a week but she doesn't break the bank!

Rachelmk I'm glad you enjoyed shopping locally. Unless its a really good deal I try not to buy f&v from supermarkets 'cos nine times out of ten its cheaper at the greengrocer. Also I have a 'thing' about supermarket meat and so never buy it there. As for free range eggs, my butcher sells locally produced ones for far less than the supermarket charges and they're often double yolkers.

Keiss what a fantastic surprise. Enjoy using it as you see fit.

We went up to town today and I fancied some sliced meat (not very MS I know ) so we got some ham, beef and eggs which was a slightly expensive £5.73 but you have to spoil yourself sometimes. At the greengrocers we got iceberg, potatoes, cucumber, carrots, onions, pembroke new pots, vine tomatoes, red onions, white cabbage and it came to £5.50. So £11.23 today but don't need anything else for the time being so definitely an NSD tomorrow.

Oh, I had a beef and HG leaf sandwich for my lunch and they tasted delicious. My first taste of the garden this year (if you don't count parsley, mint, etc).

Off to update my siggy now and then a quiet evening I think.

Take care all and enjoy the rest of the weekend,
    Spigs
    Last edited by Spiggle; 05-06-2010 at 7:04 PM.
    Mortgage Free October 2013
    • Doom_and_Gloom
    • By Doom_and_Gloom 5th Jun 10, 7:02 PM
    • 3,795 Posts
    • 13,029 Thanks
    Doom_and_Gloom
    What do you all include?
    We include:
    • all food that is not to do with entertainment (cafes would be entertainment for us), a meal out or birthdays - we do include takeaways though (unless due to birthday or special occasion as that's a different budget) but we rarely get them to be honest.
    • rat and chinchilla food - including gnaw blocks, timothey hay, treats etc.
    • animal littler
    • toilet roll and kitchen roll
    • washing up liquid
    • washing powder and conditioner (read as soda cyrstals and vinigar)
    • Hygiene products
    • cinema is entertainment
    • bin bags are free through the council and we get enough from them to last us
    • newspapers and magazines we don't buy but when we do they are entertainment
    • birthday stuff has it's own budget
    • hair cuts - I haven't had my hair cut in a year and my partner even longer. We both have long hair and keep our hair in good condition. When I get mine cut it's free from a family friend anyway. My partner has to pay for the womens price due to his long hair and I'm trying to get him to go to the family friend also when he needs his next cut .
    My budget seems low this month as it isn't a full month. My usual budget was £108 for the two of us and a rat before but I will have to put it up to about £115 next month due to the chinchillas.
    Also a lot of other peoples budgets seem low as they have no choice or have been doing the challenge for so long that they have been able to reduce their budget over time - or kept it the same despite the inflation on food. Just concentrate on your family and your budget. If you can reduce it over time great, if not you are probably as low as your family can comfortably go and that is great also.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy
    • Sue14
    • By Sue14 5th Jun 10, 7:13 PM
    • 899 Posts
    • 10,894 Thanks
    Sue14
    Earlier in the week I said I had no plans to go grocery shopping for the rest of the week, however today I went to Tesco to get some Corsodyl Daily mouthwash while it's on offer and spent £13.24, and then went to Morrisons, mainly for some fruit and veg that I'd run out of, and spent £43.91, but that did include £10 for a bottle of Pimms that's on offer in there at the moment!

Hugs
    Sue.
    • cw18
    • By cw18 5th Jun 10, 7:14 PM
    • 8,071 Posts
    • 86,054 Thanks
    cw18
    My budget seems low this month as it isn't a full month. My usual budget was £108 for the two of us and a rat before but I will have to put it up to about £115 next month due to the chinchillas.
    Originally posted by Doom_and_Gloom
    My budget varies on a monthly basis according to the number of days in the month (and whether DS2 is away or DS1 is home on leave).

I calculate on £1.70 per person per day, so for June this becomes
    £1.70 x 2 people=£3.40/day, and £3.40 x 30 days=£102 for the month

As such we're not far off the same for two people (after allowing something for your rat), except you include some non-food items which I don't
    Cheryl
    • winterfrost
    • By winterfrost 5th Jun 10, 7:49 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 1,206 Thanks
    winterfrost
    Bought some new tights for work (the holey old ones were getting too bad! Though some are still ok) and some more food shopping and toothpaste. Will be cutting it fine this week, but technically I have £4.88 left from last week.
    GC: December: £145?/£120; January: £125.70/£120; February: £163.22/£120; March £113.94/£120; April £DOOM; May £Gave up; June £DOOM; July £160.78/£108; August £7.65/£200
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2010: member 780
    • Doom_and_Gloom
    • By Doom_and_Gloom 5th Jun 10, 7:56 PM
    • 3,795 Posts
    • 13,029 Thanks
    Doom_and_Gloom
    My budget varies on a monthly basis according to the number of days in the month (and whether DS2 is away or DS1 is home on leave).

I calculate on £1.70 per person per day, so for June this becomes
    £1.70 x 2 people=£3.40/day, and £3.40 x 30 days=£102 for the month

As such we're not far off the same for two people (after allowing something for your rat), except you include some non-food items which I don't
    Originally posted by cw18
    I was actually stating how this month is not a full month as we are going to be house and dog sitting at my parents and they are providing food etc due to that. This means this month comes in at only £50 which is probably over what we will need anyway even with the addition of the chinchillas. I would love to get it down to £102 for our things as then the new full month budget would be £110. I think I'll personally aim for £110 but still let the budget be £115 next month. I love a challenge.
  • poppy-glos
    Yes, if I can find something to cook with them that will taste good reheated, that would solve the problem, but most chicken liver recipes I can think of wouldn't reheat very well.
    Originally posted by kunekune
    how about making one of your recipes you've chosen, then with the rest make chicken liver pates, and freeze them in ramekin sized pots (or small blobs in bags) as pate is happily frozen then defrosted and served. i made a vat of pork, hazelnut and chicken liver pate at christmas and froze in blobs and used over then next month or so - yummy

poppy x
    nov grocery challenge, £.227.69/300, 9/25 nsd: , 7 Cmo, 10 egm.
    Me, 10 yo dd, and the dog. all food and drinks, in and out, plus household shopping.
    • hex2
    • By hex2 5th Jun 10, 8:35 PM
    • 4,722 Posts
    • 80,174 Thanks
    hex2
    Cricumstances have changed rather and I absolutely categorically HAVE to get the grocery spend under control. I did find out in time to amend the Mr S order slightly, following the useless Mr T order. This should have included a fortnights milk but I foolishly ordered Krusha and the little darlings have used all the milk so had to go to the co-op for more. Good job they have the £1 stuff - but also £5 for 60 Finish dishwasher tabs so I stocked up. Less than a week in but more than half of the budget gone and a further £45 or so committed to veg boxes . In theory we just need milk, fruit and more cat biscuits - infamous last words! I may have to have a very restricted trip to Makro.

DH at home involves a hasty re-think of meal plans. I have bulk made bean casserole to freeze, and chicken, chick pea and chorizo casserole, and some mixed veg soup so there is something quick for lunches. Shame he hates bread and sandwiches.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
    • prophecy_grrl
    • By prophecy_grrl 5th Jun 10, 8:49 PM
    • 668 Posts
    • 3,379 Thanks
    prophecy_grrl
    Hi I know I'm late joining but would like to sign up for the June GC please - am aiming for £180 in June.

Thanks

p_grrl x
    *** PROPHECY_GRRL***
    *** DEBT FREE AS OF 17/10/11 - I DID IT!!! ***
    • Doom_and_Gloom
    • By Doom_and_Gloom 6th Jun 10, 12:34 AM
    • 3,795 Posts
    • 13,029 Thanks
    Doom_and_Gloom
    £16.96 spent leaving us with £33.04.
    Originally posted by Doom_and_Gloom
    Spent another £6.25 meaning we have £26.79 left. As that equates (sp?) to around one week we should be fine as that's around the time we have left of this month not at my parents. We shouldn't need to buy anything else before we go *fingers crossed*.
  • kunekune
    I use polenta to make cornbread - very nice with chilli. Lots of recipes on the internet.

Thanks for the pate idea - the other possibility that occurred to me was to defrost the beef mince as well and make a batch of bolognese to freeze, and use the rest of the livers for that day's tea. If I hadn't used up all the polenta, it would be nice with some spicy cajun-style chicken livers!
    Last edited by kunekune; 06-06-2010 at 7:28 AM.
    Mortgage started on 22.5.09 : £129,600
    Overpayments to date: £3000
    June grocery challenge: 400/600
    • pepsi-kins
    • By pepsi-kins 6th Jun 10, 12:40 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 1,984 Thanks
    pepsi-kins
    Hi. just to update, my month started on the 1st and so far I have spent £63.34, quite pleased with that, as usually I have spent more than double that by now. I have meal planned and have everything I need for the next week or more. Is it just me, or is doing the shopping like the Krypton Factor, by the time I've worked out which weight is the best value, which brand is the best deal, BOGOF, even the square area on the loo roll (this could be overkill, lol) makes my wee brain hurt.
    Last edited by pepsi-kins; 06-06-2010 at 12:43 PM. Reason: hadn't finished typing
    • Lindy - Loo
    • By Lindy - Loo 6th Jun 10, 12:43 PM
    • 800 Posts
    • 8,403 Thanks
    Lindy - Loo
    having a bad day so when I popped into town this morning I ended up spending £7.56 in netto and I only went in for a cabbage! that included a box of choc fingers, 12 baker boys cakes, 5 tubes smarties and a 5 pack of aero - I shouldnt be near chocolate when I'm having a bad day!

Spent £1 in farmfoods on bread
    Mum, wife and dinnerlady!
  • welshkaz
    spent £6.39 in the coop on bits and pieces and diet coke i so wish i could give it up but slimming world without diet coke would be unbearable but on the up side grabbed a few bargains and walked away from the whoopsies to save me throwing them away...
    may groc challenge £167/£280...
    • purplevamp
    • By purplevamp 6th Jun 10, 2:34 PM
    • 8,389 Posts
    • 399,873 Thanks
    purplevamp
    DH has just come back from Mr S with the weeks shopping (again I didn't make a proper list ), but he only managed to spend £52.99

We had a £5 off a £50 spend but when he went to use it the cashier said it was for online only, but everyone had been making that mistake.

I'm also including £1.98 I spent in the 99p Store yesterday on carpet cleaner and Parazone (the only one I find that cleans my loo well, better than bleach). I'm not including the other £15 I spent on sweets and girly bags for my DD's party in 2 weeks.
    Mortgage: Was: £154,495 Oct 2039
    Now: £122,463.60 Jan 2038

Swagbucks ~ £150 (2018 ~ £350)
    Surveys ~ £138.85 (2018 ~ £287.85)
    PTC, etc ~ $69.95 ~ (2018 ~ $287.34)

“I Love You" "I Know"
    • freakyogre
    • By freakyogre 6th Jun 10, 3:08 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 9,410 Thanks
    freakyogre
    86p on milk! I was wanting the toilet rolls that are on offer at Coop, but they had run out, so I may pop back next week.

I may have to put my total up a bit this month - I am due to have an operation on the 21st and will be unable to drive/walk for a while, so want to stock up on a few bits to make sure I don't run out during that time. May get some powdered milk (yuk!) as a backup.
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
    • slowandsteady
    • By slowandsteady 6th Jun 10, 3:13 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 3,289 Thanks
    slowandsteady
    Hi everyone,

havent been on in a few days but sig is updated as best i can, dh keeps popping in for stuff and i dont always get the receipts.

I have been going shopping for the weeks meals once a week at weekend for the last few weeks but havent bothered this week as i have stuff in the fridge that needs using and want to just use some freezer bits this week.

As that is the plan, i have been very organised (strict?) and have been on internet banking, all the bills have come out apart from car insurance dd which should come out in next couple of days, so all i have left in my account is the money for that and £60 for groceries, i have shifted the small amount leftover to savings. My WTC should go in next Monday, and that will again be organised between budgets and hopefully some more can go into savings.

Im over 50% of my way to my target savings amount by the end of the year but unfortunately had to dip in to buy a laptop as ours died last week, it lived for four and a half years so cant complain, i just got the same make and it was also the cheapest so hey ho!

So thats it really. Have a big slowcooker pot of spag bol cooking, that should do today and tommorow, and later im going to have a think about the meal plan for the week. Im determined to buy as little as possible now im stocked up. Want to get that freezer down and save as much money as possible this month while still on sick leave, to keep us going.

Have a good week everyone
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,815Posts Today

7,244Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter Poll: Being honest, do you take into account the environment impact when you choose to book a flight?

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Do you need to show your boarding pass at the airport? And how to make 'em pay you for doing it... https://t.co/g5biFxotXF

• Follow Martin