PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2009 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Hi all. I've just come across this thread and i'd really like to give it a go please - I find so many of you so inspiring. I spend a ridiculous amount of money on food and drink and I really need to sort it out ASAP. I guess I usually spend around £140 a week, which I know is disgusting, i'm one of those people who goes to the co-op for a loaf of bread and spends 20 quid on a load of c*$p! Anyway, i'm going for £320 for the month please. This is to feed and water 2 adults, 3 children and a Labrador, it also covers nappies and formula milk for my youngest who is 8 months old. I'm really going to try my hardest, so wish me luck!
    Mummy to 4, Grafter, Comper, Blogger

• kalojac
    kalojac Posts: 423 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    :D I have done shopping today so will update signature, £54.97 at MR T and £10.50 at Butchers so £65.47 out of £300 to date, that should cover this week, and hopefully a bit more. Kalojac
  • fizzel81
    fizzel81 Posts: 1,623 Forumite
    Hello all

bit late but can i join in please? Aiming for a small month this month so please put me down for £100

ive already spent £6.15 in asda today so majority is remaining
    DFW nerd club number 039 :p 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' :money: i will be debt free aug 2010

2008 live on 4k +cb £6,247.98/£6282.80 :T
    sealed pot 2670g
    2009 target £4k + cb £643.89:eek: /£6412.80
  • Have just done my first online shop ever from Mr T - used a code from the boards and got £5 off, plus avoided the usual temptation of walking round the shop and seeing all the 'bargains' :D

I think it came to £53.67 - it didn't take the BOGOFS etc into account until delivery apparently?

Got nappies and formula in that as well as food, should be plenty for us for the next 2-3 weeks. Will only need top ups of bread and milk, meat from the butchers and fresh fruit and veg :T
    *** PROPHECY_GRRL***
    *** DEBT FREE AS OF 17/10/11 - I DID IT!!! ***
  • Hi
    No big shop this week, trying to use up and make do. OH sent to Aldi yesterday to grab 39p bargains, bought 2 nets of clemintines (our favourite) and 2.5k of maris piper only spent 1.17 then got some onions and toms from Lidl 1.02 spent. a further .39p spent on carrots. Got all I need now for diners this week. Will have to top up bread and milk. Also have told DD we are not giving her dinner money as she doesn't spend it on food. ($10 a week) She is 18 and should get a job for spending money. She is very fussy eater but likes french bread with pesto so will buy that for her to take. She also likes my HM soups so hopefully will be able to provide good lunches she will eat. This has been done with her agreement so hopefully will work.
    WL 11 st 5lb as at 050109. 160209 11st 2lb
    11st 5lb as at 20.04.09 11st 7lbs 040509 11st6 010609 I wish 2016 175 lbs.
    Family of 3 at home - , DS 22, self and OH
  • just noticed on my receipt from my shop at MrT's yesterday that they have charged me £1.50 for the pack of 4 baked beans instead of £1.00 :mad: i will go back tomorrow and sort it out.
    Back on MSE again! to take control of my finances and not let it control me. :T May grocery challenge £41.96/140
  • Happy New Year Everyone.

Had my first spend of the year. £17.10 which included veg, Milk & crumpets. Have enough food to last all week off to meal plan for the following week.

Noticed that MrS had go cat on offer at the moment so will be stocking up on that next week. My cats aren't into down shifting a brand. :rolleyes: Don't mind especially if its on offer.
    2024 Decluttering 3273 ⭐️⭐️⭐️
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    can i put £400 down for January, im a bit late joinig in and am determined to stay the course this year as i went to pot during the last 1/4 of the year
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Well just got my asda delivery so that's me £48.81 in for January. Oh and another £2.20 in the vegetable shop. I have managed to order £17 worth of toilet roll though :rolleyes: even though there are only two of us in the house and I'd had to buy some just at the end of dec so I think this is us sorted till June. Seriously I have no idea how I managed this, one of the perils of online shopping I guess.

Fingers crossed I'll manage to meet my target of £120 for the month
  • jtb2412
    jtb2412 Posts: 1,782 Forumite
    Had my first spend of this year today as I needed a few bits for the next 2 weeks.

Spent £27.50 in Mr S,bury - £14.22 was for pack ups (equivalent to 28p each per day - 5 of us), £11.82 on other essentials (tom ketchup, toilet roll, coffee etc) and £1.50 on some reduced ribbon for next xmas (50p each down from original price of £2). Oh and I can't forget my VAT reduction of the grand sum of 4p :rolleyes:

Also spent £10.80 at the farm shop, which is just as cheap as the supermarkets round here :confused: (sack of spuds and fruit for the next week - roll on growing season when we can cut this out of our budget !!! :rolleyes: ).

Total spent today £38.30. It's amazing how a few odds and ends adds up ! We're not very lucky around here with the 'whoopsies' (well done on yours Mrs M ! :T ) ...... JamieDodger, do you find any round your neck of the woods?

All being well, I shouldn't have to go shopping now for at least 10 days (will see how the milk situation goes as we seem to get through loads !)

Am off to catch up on posts now and update sig ..... have a good evening everyone :beer:
    :jWeight loss to date 1st 11.5lb :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport