Consumerist Posts: 6,310
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 26 June 2019 at 4:49PM
    Quentin wrote: »
    https://www.edfenergy.com/sites/default/files/r1223r883.pdf
    Does include the agreement to have a smart meter installed
    Thanks Quentin.

The only other option for the OP might be to see if the requirement was included in the tariff's Key Facts document. If not, the ombudsman might take the view that the requirement was "buried" in the Ts&Cs.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Been with EDF for >8 years now. The few problems I have had in that time, have been dealt with efficiently and courteously. I cannot understand anyone having trouble with their CS: I use the online Chatline and usually converse with someone whose name is obviously 'not from around here'. I have never had trouble in any of the many convo's I have had.

My last tariff choice was fairly recent: online & paperless only, Elec & gas, Blue+Price Freeze, May 21 v2, which takes me to May 2021 and gave me a £10 monthly reduction. I will probably get the usual "heads up" from EDF well before that ends, in order to choose another tariff.

I don't have, don't want a smart meter, EDF acknowledge my choice. I send a meter reading online every month and I get regular updates. My whole EDF customer experience has been good, why should I switch?
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • jmatt81
    jmatt81 Posts: 15
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Switched to EDF in January and have been paying £54pm. A bill was produced at the end of April showing I was in debit by £98 and they had transposed my day and night reads. This was fixed two weeks ago and I am now £63 in credit.

They advised my direct debit will go up to £201pm from 1 August to ensure my account balance is zero come November. I filled in their online form saying this was too high and there is no way I would use £800 of electricity in 4 months. They said the £201 would remain unchanged.

I am now switching to Bulb (zero exit fee) who will repay the EDF exit fee (£35) as a credit to my account. I will then switch away to a company with good rates who doesn't quadruple payment requests.
  • kes_65
    kes_65 Posts: 17
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    M.S.E is the only comparison site that fails to state all the important T&c's.
    Even their sister site [moneysupermarket] states you have to agree to a smart meter AND you will not have access to their phone lines [live chat ONLY].
    This is why I left after 6 years.
    I emailed M.S.E. to ask why they don't state this.They said smart meters are NOT mandatory with Easy Online Tarriff's .But they ARE because I called EDF and asked them !!
  • I'm now in the throes of a dispute with EDF over, guess what, direct debit payments.
    I had set my monthly DD to £72 but after the first reading, in January, they decided to reduce it to £22.
    I didn't notice the paragraph on the first page of the first bill where they said they were going to do this.

Now, early July, after the second reading they want to increase my DD to £421 /month.
    No, I haven't mistyped that, four hundred and twenty one pounds per month.

I rang up and remonstrated with them and they reset the DD to £72, but I'm now more than £200 in arrears. I just received a call from someone and I'm ashamed to say I totally blew my cool with them.

Should I just tell my bank to cancel the DD forthwith and cope with the consequences?
    I'm a pensioner in my 70s, if they decide to change the DD for the worse I'll be sunk.

What do I do?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310
    Forumite
    SysExJohn wrote: »
    I'm now in the throes of a dispute with EDF over, guess what, direct debit payments.
    I had set my monthly DD to £72 but after the first reading, in January, they decided to reduce it to £22.
    I didn't notice the paragraph on the first page of the first bill where they said they were going to do this.
    Now, early July, after the second reading they want to increase my DD to £421 /month.
    No, I haven't mistyped that, four hundred and twenty one pounds per month.
    I rang up and remonstrated with them and they reset the DD to £72, but I'm now more than £200 in arrears. I just received a call from someone and I'm ashamed to say I totally blew my cool with them.
    Should I just tell my bank to cancel the DD forthwith and cope with the consequences?
    I'm a pensioner in my 70s, if they decide to change the DD for the worse I'll be sunk.
    What do I do?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    If they have confirmed in writing that the DD has been restored to £72pm then I would sit tight. If they take more then you can ask your bank to refund it under the DD guarantee.

If the last you had in writing was the rise to £421pm then your options are more limited. You could start their complaints procedure objecting to the level of increase and (politely) demanding an explanation of how it was calculated.

You could cancel the DD at your bank if the £421 would cause you problems - but I would advise EDF in your complaint that this is what you have done until the matter is resolved.

There is the risk that EDF will transfer you to a more expensive tariff if you cancel the DD but this should be resolved by the ombudsman if the matter goes that far.

Good luck.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • Thanks for your response, Consumerist.
    What I did just notice, on the latest bill, is that I can now switch without paying an exit fee.
    So I've used this site to find me another deal and switched back to Tonik.

I was with them before EDF.
    I rang the bank and cancelled the direct debit mandate with EDF.
    I'll probably inform them, in a while, that I've cancelled it.
    We'll see what happens.
  • Having just moved to EDF I thought it would be easy to manage my account online - but oh no! You dont get bills more than every six months so you have no idea if you are paying too much or too little - what is the point of an online account that doesnt give you any relevant information - will be switching again soon!
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,839
    Forumite
    edited 6 August 2019 at 7:34PM
    kes_65 wrote: »
    M.S.E is the only comparison site that fails to state all the important T&c's.
    Even their sister site [moneysupermarket] states you have to agree to a smart meter AND you will not have access to their phone lines [live chat ONLY].
    This is why I left after 6 years.
    I emailed M.S.E. to ask why they don't state this.They said smart meters are NOT mandatory with Easy Online Tarriff's .But they ARE because I called EDF and asked them !!
    Sorry, MSE are correct and you are wrong ! Section 3.5 of the Ts & Cs state:-

"It is your choice whether or not you would like to have a Smart meter installed at your property. By signing up to this tariff you agree to having a Smart meter fitted when we’re installing them in your area, and to us contacting you to ask you to book an appointment for its installation. However, if you do not wish to have a Smart meter installed you may, at any time, inform us that you are opting out of having a Smart meter."
  • kes_65
    kes_65 Posts: 17
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'm only in the " wrong" because three different EDF STAFF told me smart meters were definitely mandatory.
    Live Chat , phone conversation and email .
    Also, all the other comparison web sites that displayed the wrong info in June need putting in their place by you as well
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback