Phone photos accepted for online passport renewals - don't send selfies

Millions of UK travellers will no longer have to pay to print out passport pictures in photobooths, as photos taken on your phone can now be used for online renewals - but 'selfies' are not allowed....
Read the full story:
Photos taken on your phone accepted for online passport renewals - but don't send 'selfies'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Why stress over the selfie - find the suitably coloured wall & hand your beloved phone to a trusted pal & go through the rules and take a bundle of shots - then weed them & see if any of them make the grade.

Asda machines will print 6 passport sized shots from a smartphone on one sheet for less than a pound (& I think Boots do too) so if the passport systems refuse the digital image, then a paper copy is not that far away.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 25 January 2017 at 1:46PM
    I successfully did this 2-3 months ago when I renewed my passport.

Note: it seems the online application is a bit too pessimistic over whether an uploaded photo is acceptable. It will probably be initially rejected with an indication of the reason why (seems a very common occurrence going by numerous other posts across the internet), but if you don't agree with the rejection, carry on regardless (giving the reason that you don't believe the rejection is valid).
    Mine was later accepted without further question, presumably after it was manually re-assessed.
    (Iirc, I think the initial automatic rejection was because of shadows on the photo, which I refuted)

Got my renewed passport within 7 days of application (and part of that delay seemed to be slow delivery of my old passport to the passport office by RM). Got my initial acceptance of renewal the same working day, and by the second working day they were reminding me to send off my old passport (which I already had) as they cannot issue the new one without receipt of the old one.

Note: One downside of online application is that you now have to sign the passport yourself when it arrives (as opposed to the signature already being part of the printed details)
    You should do this with a BLACK, BALL POINT pen.
    It took me quite a while to find these details. Do not confuse with US passport requirements where it needs to be black, but not a ball point pen.
  • fabsaver
    fabsaver Posts: 1,275 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I did this when I renewed my passport last September. It took a while though, as numerous photos kept getting rejected for various reasons. The final accepted one looks like it was taken in a morgue :eek:

When I renewed my driving licence online recently I didn't even need to submit a new photo. They automatically used the one from my passport. Great - now I'm stuck with that morgue photo for 10 years on both documents :rotfl:
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Be careful of the thick rimmed spectacles objection.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • fabsaver
    fabsaver Posts: 1,275 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    footyguy wrote: »
    Note: One downside of online application is that you now have to sign the passport yourself when it arrives (as opposed to the signature already being part of the printed details)
    You should do this with a BLACK, BALL POINT pen.
    It took me quite a while to find these details. Do not confuse with US passport requirements where it needs to be black, but not a ball point pen.
    My passport has my signature pre-printed on the photo page. I don't recall have to sign anything at the time, so they must have had my signature stored already. Likewise my new driving licence has my signature printed on it, but my application was completed wholly online.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    This thread seems to suggest it's rather hit and miss and not to be relied on.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5480584
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Ive done several driving licences using my phone.

I have then edited the pictures, changed the background wall colour and even edited someones acne out.

Never had one returned.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I've used this for a passport photo. http://www.idphoto4you.com/

It worked well. Printed in Tescos for about 30p. I expect it will give a single photo as a file.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    We should be making it more difficult for ID thieves.

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/passport-check-send

I would prefer a HD webcam in a bigger Post office, so they check your IDs as well.
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Pincher wrote: »
    We should be making it more difficult for ID thieves.

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/passport-check-send

I would prefer a HD webcam in a bigger Post office, so they check your IDs as well.

The new system only applies to renewal, so you still have to send the old passport off and they can compare the old photo to the new photo and confirm you are still the same person. I don't see why uploading a photo online instead of posting one in makes a passport renewal less secure.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure