Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th May 10, 8:33 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    June 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 26th May 10, 8:33 PM
    June 2010 Grocery Challenge 26th May 10 at 8:33 PM
    Hi everyone,

Appologies that ithe thread is a little bit later than usual...unfortunately I've been bit wrapped up in real life. Anyway...Welcome to the sixth Grocery Challenge of the year.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your May budget, then keep on posting in the May 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

Wishing you all a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-05-2010 at 1:23 AM.
Page 15
  • wssla00
    Afternoon all eleven pounds spent today but that did include part of a baby present I am making. Hope to get my niece a really nice present for little money so looking around for bargains! Will update sig in a mo!
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 6th Jun 10, 4:20 PM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    Actually did a meal plan today shouldn't have to get much this week other than milk etc. freakygore - what is the toilet roll offer in Co-op?

Spent £1.15 on dog food - went to the local shop as I got to supermarket too late (bad traffic).

Made a batch of peanut butter muffins for lunchboxes this week. Haven't got any bread for sandwiches - does anyone know if Pitta breads are alright in lunchboxes?
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • wssla00
    Pittas are lovely! Salad and ham is delicious or turkey breast and salad!
  • poppy-glos
    nsd today.
    did some baking, cupcakes for lunchboxes and huge spinach and ricotta tart for lunch and for lunchboxes too.
    carrot, peppers and cucumber cut into sticks for nibbles plus for the lunchboxes too.. how organised am i :-?

poppy x
    nov grocery challenge, £.227.69/300, 9/25 nsd: , 7 Cmo, 10 egm.
    Me, 10 yo dd, and the dog. all food and drinks, in and out, plus household shopping.
    • Billie-jo
    • By Billie-jo 6th Jun 10, 7:03 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 15,892 Thanks
    Billie-jo
    Question - Garlic flat bread
    The chicken was lovely much more tasty than usual so shall be buying these instead in future.

Never got around to baking today as we had visitors so that will have to be done in the week at some point. I did make a loaf today though, did the dough in the bm but baked it in the oven and imo it tastes better.
    Brought bacon yesterday as expected and took mum for some plants today so while was out thought I would buy milk and dog food so as donít have to shop tomorrow. Total of the two days is £9.78 I forgot to buy butter but will manage with some spread we have. Donít like it as much but it will do for a day or so.

Quick question - if I make pizza dough in bm and want it like flat garlic bread when do I add the garlic? Do I put some in the bm or when it is done roll it flat and spread some garlic butter on?
    [COLOR="Purple"][B] MARCH £62.38/250 [B][COLOR="Purple"]
  • poppy-glos
    Quick question - if I make pizza dough in bm and want it like flat garlic bread when do I add the garlic? Do I put some in the bm or when it is done roll it flat and spread some garlic butter on?[/QUOTE]

hi, if you'd like it pizza express style i think they have the garlic butter warmed through, and brush it on once the bread is cooked, or alternatively the garlic butter pizza type thing, rolled out and not scored, could be buttered before cooking.
    i went to a food demo (pampered chef) the other day and they did tear and share doughballs, butter and garlic and green herb warmed in pan, in with walnut sized peices of dough, fried a bit and turned over so all sides coated in butter and also a little cooked, then into the oven (frypan had handle that was ok in oven _ Or transfer to oven proof something) for 10 minutes - that was nice too ;-)

poppy x
    Me, 10 yo dd, and the dog. all food and drinks, in and out, plus household shopping.
  • poppy-glos
    can someone please give me the link or name for me to look at the four week menu/shopping experiment that someone was doing on here, for a specific low budget, for a family of four. there was a link a couple of months ago on the grocery challenge but i haven't been able to find it, it included seed spread that i thought i will try making soon
    thanks in advance
  • JayJay14
    Here you are

http://www.cheap-family-recipes.org.uk/

This is the new website weezl has set up but the thread is

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2384579
    • guccigoo
    • By guccigoo 6th Jun 10, 7:47 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 5,112 Thanks
    guccigoo
    spent £8.57 in i**lands today on mainly sunday dinner and desert, forgot to get bananas so i will have to get them tomorrow for my lil ones packed lunch so im hoping tues and wed are nsd's as i need to build them up
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
  • tracey12
    Popped into Mr T to get bread and spent £4.85 on bread, hobnobs, face wipes and custard. Not too bad for me. I have a Mr T. delivery coming tomorrow with the weekly shop as had a £5 off £50 delivery code. Have updated sig.
    Officially debt free
  • scotsaver
    Hi everyone - good start to the Month, have updated my total with spends but will have to pop to L*dl today for some more Fruit & veg so will update total again later.

Dinner tonight will be Sweet & sour Duck made with leftover Duck from last night's Roast - the Duck was a whoopsie from the Co-*p.

Over the weekend we were finally able to enjoy some Salad leaves, chives, rocket, radishes etc from the Garden. Also used some Rhubarb from the Garden to make a pud - all helps with saving money.

Have a good day everyone.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• kezlou
    • By kezlou 7th Jun 10, 8:13 AM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 43,067 Thanks
    kezlou
    Well peeps i have spent a whopping £61.84 and were only seven days in. Darn cats, eating loads of food. OH decided to spend a fortune whilst he was off including take out, all included in the above figure.
    So now the boys will be back at school on Wednesday, OH tomorrow so i should be able to get back on track.
    Had to cancel the delivery of milk starting from today, i feel really guilty, as i believe in certain traditional ways e.g milk delivered. But financially i couldn't afford it. Ended up being £18.23 for 28 pints of milk, but i used to buy milk from the corner shop as well to top us up with.

So hopefully that will bring the bill down. Convinced OH to try turkey after i got two big fat legs for £1.98 from Sainsbugs. So guess what were having it tonight with mash, broccoli, carrots and yorkshire puds hmmm yummy. So cheap dinner for us. All the left over juices will be used to stew with for the next day.

Got 4 bags (16portions per persons)of mince mix (i.e mince, lentils etc) in the freezer so thats us sorted for four meals.
    Just need to make bread, cakes etc for pack lunches.

Going to put the BM on now ready for lunch.

• Emma1979
    My budget for the month will be £150

This is to include, our food, all toiletries, cleaning products & pet food

As I am a little late joining my budget will run from today to 5th July.

Good luck everyone
  • FelineFantastic
    Morning All!

Hi Emma79- welcome!

Had one NSD yesterday and aiming for one today and one tomorrow- would be good. My sig needs updating as spent more in Mr T's on Saturday than planned- its going to be a hotch potch week I think to use up stuff in the fridge to start over with a tidy one!! Best laid plans and all that!!

Cats are eating me out of house and home at the moment tho- that may scupper the NSD plans!

Have a great day everyone- I am on A/L so am going to take my library books back and do cleaning- apparently there is no rest for the wicked
    June Budget= £151.41/£150
    10 NSDs (with teenagers !!)= 8
    Reduced my overdraft a little today- slow but sure!
  • rentawitch
    i bought kit - e - kat for mine and they are turning their noses up and eating the biscuits!
    Where is rolling eyes smiley.
    If they carry on like this I might only get them biscuits in future !

I cooked a shoulder of lamb yesterday - it will probably last me three days.
    Sealed Pot challenge 3 - #969
    20ps and £2 coins and other bits.

July grocery challenge £167.40/£175

NSD challenge July 9/10
    • catznine
    • By catznine 7th Jun 10, 9:47 AM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 24,544 Thanks
    catznine
    Spends so far!

Picnic supplies for Race for Life on Sunday - £20 but have loads of ham, crisps, mini sausages and strawberries/grapes/cherry tomatoes left!

Bookers (friend took me)
    2 x 300g mushrooms reduced to 30p each (to slice and freeze)
    box of 6 x 100g turkey breast slices reduced to £2 (5 pkts for freezer)
    bag of luxury salad leaves reduced to 30p
    1kg tub glace cherries for baking supplies £4.59

Morrisons
    Large tin dog food £1.49
    Buttermilk 52p
    Lg Low fat creme fraiche £ 93p

Farmshop
    Asparagus £1.10

Total = £31.53 budget is £150 so £118.47 left to spend with first organic box delivery due on Wednesday!

I've made a huge amount of soya chilli ready for the freezer and am off to make another trifle using up some frozen slightly stale sponge and then bake some scones using the buttermilk.

Lunch today - turkey salad and creme fraiche, fruit
    Dinner tonight - Ham, jacket potatoes and steamed asparagus followed by strawberries and creme fraiche
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • tracey12
    Had my weekly shopping delivered this morning from Mr T with free delivery. Spent £46.62 on normal weekly shop and then an extra £18.35 was towards my dd 2nd birthday party on 23 June so have stocked up on some orange juice, apple juice, snacks, choc fingers etc.
    Officially debt free
    • ASC
    • By ASC 7th Jun 10, 10:38 AM
    • 152 Posts
    • 1,066 Thanks
    ASC
    Hi everyone.

Updated sig with last weeks spends, up to £52.32 which isn't bad considering it includes a few picnic treats (and a bottle of wine - I blame PMT!)

Likely to be a more expensive week this week. Just seen that c0-0p have half price Cathederal City (our cheese of choice but resent the price) so plan to stock up, and need a few household bits too. I think someone mentioned a toilet roll offer, was that the own brand half price one they had recently?

I have the usual bits in but need to plan the week properly to make a dent in the freezer contents. I was hoping to empty one and switch it off over the summer but I'm a way off that at the moment. I'd also promised myself that I'd try out some new recipes but I've not done very well with that either! Back to the start the thread I think...

Have a good week!

A x
  • wssla00
    Morning all Aiming for an NSD for today and tomorrow as not venturing out today and am at the hospital tomorrow so wont be in the mood to spend any money!

Going to make some snacks. Perhaps some cheese biscuits- does anyone have any recipes? I may take a look on the begining of the thread, some sausage rolls, perhaps some muffins and a quiche.

Well... better go and clean up! Have a good day!
  • yummymummy05
    hi again, spent £14.03 in Mr M's (am a convert - I used to go to somerfield but it's closed down in my village now - the co-op that's replaced it seems very expensive - so am driving to margate once a week to get my shopping - it's closer than Mr T's and the last 2 times it's been £3-£4 cheaper!)

I also spent £5 in Iceland (ready meals for the days when I forget to take stuff out of the freezer )

I had NSD's on friday and Sunday (I don't count newspapers as I get them most days) and I would have had one on saturday as well except it was so hot we didn't fancy spag bog so I got some sausages from the butcher and did a pasta salad with them.

I will have to add another £30 to my spend as my butchers do 3lb of rib-eye steak for £15 (it works out as about 80p per steak) but the supply has dried up so I'm going to buy 2 lots and this should see me through until christmas if I only do steak every other week!!
    FebGC
    wk1 £0/£100 NSD's 0/7
    wk2
    wk3
    wk4
    Total £0/400
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

469Posts Today

5,487Users online

Martin's Twitter