Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th May 10, 8:33 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    June 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 26th May 10, 8:33 PM
    June 2010 Grocery Challenge 26th May 10 at 8:33 PM
    Hi everyone,

Appologies that ithe thread is a little bit later than usual...unfortunately I've been bit wrapped up in real life. Anyway...Welcome to the sixth Grocery Challenge of the year.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your May budget, then keep on posting in the May 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

Wishing you all a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-05-2010 at 1:23 AM.
Page 6
  • Kadeeae
    Heeellloooo to all newbies and good luck for June!
    Trying something different for us this month . . . we're trying to eat a bit more healthy so figured I try and do one big/first of the month online shop for paper/toiletries/cleaning products and any packaged foods (pasta & rice etc...) and then do a weekly trip to the butcher with top ups for milk, fruit & veg bits from the local co-op - hoping to stay clear of the big supermarkets.

Am still thinking it through as the 'big' order won't be placed for a couple of days yet, but figure it can't work if I don't try it, eh?!
  • samtyler
    Hi

Am I ok to join up for June? My target is £130.

Have followed lots of your tips and enjoyed batch cooking for my freezer this month - have saved a small fortune!

Thanks so much to all who have posted such fab recipes and tips.

ST x

May: cushelle koala 50% off amsterdam cruise for 2
    • greent
    • By greent 31st May 10, 6:28 PM
    • 8,134 Posts
    • 82,584 Thanks
    greent
    Having just declared at 5p under my May budget(!), thought I'd best come over here - Mrs M, can I please have a budget of £475 for June? I've upped it slightly, as it's half term this week and 2 days out are planned - even if we take a packed lunch for both there'll be things like icecreams (and also dinner out on the one day, as it'll be a full on out all day until almost bedtime) I'm also low on basmati rice, so I need to find an offer (min 5kg, up to 10kg) Other than that I'd LIKE to keep it down - but good intentions always go to pot!! I have lots of vouchers to use (£7 off £50 x2/ £6 off £30, £8 off £40 and £5 off £50 - so I'm planning on working my lists out to come to these figures and as little over as poss to make the most of them. Thankfully they basically work out at 1 a week (2 the one week) to help with that! Also salad leaves are in full swing in the garden. Just need the tomatoes, beans (2 sorts), courgettes, squashes, peppers, potatoes and chillis to come along now!!

greent x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £2418.57/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £173.62/£500
    • Lindy - Loo
    • By Lindy - Loo 31st May 10, 6:37 PM
    • 800 Posts
    • 8,403 Thanks
    Lindy - Loo
    hiya, had tesco shop delivered today so will up date total.

£54.15 spent, only 2 subs and Tesco price matched and an extra box of cat food!

Good luck everyone xx
    Mum, wife and dinnerlady!
  • andrinaperry
    Apologies back in harness had a really difficult couple of months my younger daughter been diagnosed with crohens disease cant believe we are heere again.

Enough of that £300 for this month please
    Last edited by andrinaperry; 31-05-2010 at 8:15 PM.
    January - nsd 10/20 grocery 153/400
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 31st May 10, 8:16 PM
    • 4,328 Posts
    • 29,793 Thanks
    tessie bear
    hi...we have had a very ms bank holiday...spent less than £2...in sainsburys x4 value yogurts are 15p and x6 fromage frais value 20p.....havent tried them yet but would imagine they are ok

had a nice bbq today..it didnt rain but we were sat with our jackets on...welcome to the british summer

bye tess
    onwards and upwards
  • Winged one
    I am hoping that we'll start getting some usable veg this month - I have salad leaves already for my lunches and I'm back to trying to bring salad most days. But we're still working off storecupboard items too - I have plans for crab cakes once I have a decent batch of leftover mash potatoes!!
    GC 2010 €6,000/ €5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: €6,000/
    €5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr €587.82/€550 May €453.31 /€550
    • albacookie
    • By albacookie 31st May 10, 8:39 PM
    • 268 Posts
    • 1,201 Thanks
    albacookie
    Hello all, I totally lost track of what I spent in May but I'm sure it was over budget :-(
    Can I have £100 again for June - will try harder!
    • freakyogre
    • By freakyogre 31st May 10, 9:39 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 9,410 Thanks
    freakyogre
    Cheating slightly as spent some money today, but will count it as June as none of it will be used until tomorrow!

£8.50 in Booker's on chicken breasts - went halves with my sister and have 13 massive breasts! All in the freezer now either whole or halved.
    Also got a case of tropical juice but have lost my receipt, but I think it was about £4.00 - i'll include this even though it will last me months.
    82p in Tesco on a lettuce and a cucumber (on BOGOF).
    £3.00 in Poundland on kitchen roll, binbags and some cereal bars.
    42p on sandwich bags in Wilkinsons.
    £6.00 in Morrisons including shampoo & conditioner and garlic bread which were on offer and some salad bits.

Oops, almost halfway into my total and it's not even June. I blame the chicken
    Last edited by freakyogre; 31-05-2010 at 9:43 PM.
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 31st May 10, 10:35 PM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    I had a no spend day today and have just done a freezer inventory and was amazed by how much stuff I actually have in stock! I have loads of veg, milk, cheese and Flora (bought on offer in Asda - 70p for 500g) so I am hoping not to have to go to the suprmarket until Friday. Does anyone know if Tescos take the Sainsburys spend and save vouchers? I know they take asda ones but I have a load of £10 off a £50 shop ones and don't really buy all that much in Sainsburys tbh and would struggle to buy £50 worth of stuff at one go, but in Tescos there is much more choice when you include the clothes and stuff.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • puss14
    Hello,
    Could i please be put in for $240 please. Thanks very much
    Thailand 3010/15000 2015
    • OrangeFairy
    • By OrangeFairy 1st Jun 10, 6:48 AM
    • 2,629 Posts
    • 9,067 Thanks
    OrangeFairy
    Hello all!!

I have spent a whopping £115 out of my £200 already!

Though that being said we are in pretty good shape. Just potatoes, veg, milk and yoghurts to buy through the month - and obviously the odd other thing that crops up! Plus we spent £20 at a closing down supermarket and grabbed a lot of bulk items to last a while!!!

Good Luck everyone
    Orange Fairy
    House Purchased April 19 CC1=? CC2=? DH CC= Mortgage Overpay = £0 Savings = £0 Xmas savings = £0 Weightloss = 0 lb

• kunekune
    I really need to economise this month. We have a holiday to pay for by the end of this week. There's enough money in the current account, but it may well get close to an overdraft by the end of the month if we're not careful. The car is booked in for an MOT next week ... The irony is that there is a lot coming in - I'll be sending off an invoice for some freelance work tomorrow, and I think it is well over £2000, also I am owed £300 reimbusement in relation to job interview costs, but won't get that for a few weeks as it is coming from overseas, and OH will finally get his 2008 & 2009 bonuses (ex-HBOS). But if we can manage to pay everything without drawing on the extras, we can pay some mortgage off. Which would be a good idea.

How much? Avert your eyes, sweethearts, because my normal Ocado bill, including booze, is around £200 a week. We don't exactly live cheap. Then we tend to end up with top ups of various kinds, and I sometimes buy lunch. Eeeeeeekkkkk. Yes, we can afford it at the moment, but we won't always be able to. And anyway, we need to improve our diet.

So the target this month is a total of £600 for the calendar month, to include lunches, booze and extras. I have a fair amount in, but we do have a party for the kids during the month.
    Mortgage started on 22.5.09 : £129,600
    Overpayments to date: £3000
    June grocery challenge: 400/600
  • lovelife
    Thank you for adding me to the list
    I am really looking forward to this challenge. We officially start today, but had a good omen yesterday! DH and me called in at Asda for a bottle of wine, and hit lucky timing wise, we spent £5.62, bearing in mind the wine was £4.00, we got 2 punnets of Brown Cap mushrooms, 5p each, two packs of Organic carrots 10p each, two packets fresh pineapple 10p each and over £3.00 worth of sliced topside of beef for £1.12. We had a lovely meal of Mushroom soup with beef and mustard sarnies in warm bread from the breadmaker The other day i got a massive bunch of Basil for 5p. I must try and work out what time they start to do the radical price markdowns, i wonder if there is a store policy on this?
    • tessasmum
    • By tessasmum 1st Jun 10, 9:10 AM
    • 238 Posts
    • 1,810 Thanks
    tessasmum
    We'll have a better go at it this month - please put us down for £350. Thank you
    December GC: £350
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 1st Jun 10, 9:15 AM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    Thank you for adding me to the list
    I am really looking forward to this challenge. We officially start today, but had a good omen yesterday! DH and me called in at Asda for a bottle of wine, and hit lucky timing wise, we spent £5.62, bearing in mind the wine was £4.00, we got 2 punnets of Brown Cap mushrooms, 5p each, two packs of Organic carrots 10p each, two packets fresh pineapple 10p each and over £3.00 worth of sliced topside of beef for £1.12. We had a lovely meal of Mushroom soup with beef and mustard sarnies in warm bread from the breadmaker The other day i got a massive bunch of Basil for 5p. I must try and work out what time they start to do the radical price markdowns, i wonder if there is a store policy on this?
    Originally posted by lovelife
    I know that alot of people on here seem to have "set" times at their local supermarkets but I have found it to be totally hit and miss in Tesco Sainsburys and Asda in my area. I never seem to find the kind of reductions you found - well done!
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 1st Jun 10, 9:29 AM
    • 1,182 Posts
    • 14,599 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Hello everyone!

Here's a recipe you might like...

Sweet potato and pea curry

1 medium onion
    2 medium sweet potatoes
    couple handfuls frozen peas
    P*t*ks curry paste (Korma)
    tin tomatoes
    dried cumin
    dried coriander

serves 3

Method

Chop and fry onion in a little oil, and add the sweet potato peeled and diced-not too small. Stir in curry paste and add cumin and coriander. Continue frying then add a tin of tomatoes and some stock. Cook for about twenty minutes or until sweet potato is soft. Add frozen peas and cook for about 5 mins.

Serve with rice and naan bread-whatever your fave accompaniments are. OH likes mango chutney and riata in those little pots from Mr M.

It's half term and I am messing about at home.

Leftover bacon pasta for lunch yum, son has taken my car to work as it's raining, tumbledryer packed up yesterday,poorly cat shouting to go into the garden on her lead, not planning to spend today......... have a lovely day all.
    Last edited by Gintotmelinda; 01-06-2010 at 9:32 AM.
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
    • Pablosmummy
    • By Pablosmummy 1st Jun 10, 9:54 AM
    • 350 Posts
    • 2,968 Thanks
    Pablosmummy
    Oh Gintotmelinda that curry looks gorg, I'll add it to my plan for next week, I really fancy a curry.

well I did my first shop of month on Saturday, spent £54.30!! then went back on Sunday and bought two crates of cider (not all for us, we had friends over!) but I'm taking that out of out entertainment budget as we havent had a drink for months! (which is probably why I still feel hungover, its awful - I am never drinking again!)

Today I'm going to sit down and try to plan the rest of the months meals,I've got loads in already so hopefully wont really need that much.

Also did anyone else see the recipe that was on gmtv today for the chicken stew? I really want to add it to my plan and I cant find it on the website maybe they havent added it yet...
    May Grocery Challenge -£216/400
  • wssla00
    Heeellloooo to all newbies and good luck for June!
    Trying something different for us this month . . . we're trying to eat a bit more healthy so figured I try and do one big/first of the month online shop for paper/toiletries/cleaning products and any packaged foods (pasta & rice etc...) and then do a weekly trip to the butcher with top ups for milk, fruit & veg bits from the local co-op - hoping to stay clear of the big supermarkets.

Am still thinking it through as the 'big' order won't be placed for a couple of days yet, but figure it can't work if I don't try it, eh?!
    Originally posted by Kadeeae
    That's the way I work and it seems to be ok. You just have to be reallly organised!
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
    • patentgirl
    • By patentgirl 1st Jun 10, 10:18 AM
    • 886 Posts
    • 12,313 Thanks
    patentgirl
    Morning All

Been MIA last month and just got back from a dream holdiay to Alaska so really pulling in purse strings now!
    Thank you to Pink-winged, Mrs M and Rosieben for running the thread and please could you put me down for £180 for June.

February grocery challenge £200
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,155Posts Today

7,650Users online

Martin's Twitter