Insurance2go Mobile Phone Insurance Discussion

Hi,

This is a feedback thread on mobile phone insurance provider:

Insurance2go

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part:
  • Have you experienced problems?
  • Did you haggle and succeed?

The feedback comes as part of the Mobile Phone Insurance Cover guide.

Thank you,

MSE Tony

Comments

• lev441
    lev441 Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I took out a business policy for my iPhone. They had a repair and replace option and a replacement only option. I went for the latter as I was told should I need to make a claim, it would be quicker to go down the replacement only

Two months in, my phone screen smashed. Put the claim through, filled in the paperwork and they sent me a new phone 7 days after I first made contact with the company.

Not as quick as the major network operators but it was considerably cheaper. Couldn't fault the service.
  • Glad I read the T's and C's first. This does NOT cover use by family who don't live with you.
  • Watch out, they're charging £75 a year for their highest package from November which they claim is due to an increase in insurance tax. They also only insure phones younger than 6 months old. This leaves you high and dry come renewal. They're even trying to charge me £10 more just because it's now a year old!
  • Following my claim with Insurance2go My iPhone 5 was deemed damaged beyond repair and I looked forward to receiving a replacement. Of course I understood that due to the age of the handset and the many upgrades iPhone has made over the years, the probability of receiving a new iPhone 5 would be unlikely. However, I had reasonably expected that having paid insurance for 2 years and an excess of £50, I would be sent a NEW phone. I was horrified to receive a ‘refurbished’ handset. Albeit an iPhone 5s, its a used item and I have paid new money for old rope.

After some online investigation it seems I’m not the only one to have been misled by insurance2go in this way.

They may be one of the cheapest phone insurers out there but that’s because they are peddling second-hand tat. I would be interested to know exactly what percentage of customers actually receive new handsets? I suspect none.

In conclusion Insurance2goDO NOT PROVIDE NEW HANDSETS.

As John Lydon once said: ‘Ever get the feeling you’ve beencheated?’
  • nomoneytoday
    nomoneytoday Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    So you insured an Iphone5 and they gave you a refurbed 5S - what's the problem?
  • chudies
    chudies Posts: 262 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi
    Does anyone know if there is a grace period before making a claim?
    Thanks in advance!
    :grouphug: Lets hug!! :grouphug:
  • I feel absolutely exploited by insurance2go. I insured a mobile and an iPad with them 2 years ago. Just renewed the mobile insurance a month ago at the usual price and have now had an email saying the premium for the tablet is increasing from £40 a year to £84.90. Quite an increase. Their explanation is an increase in insurance tax but the phone premium was the same as last year.
    I am struggling to get cover elsewhere as most insurers won't cover a gadget over 18 months old. Plus I'll miss out on any discount for insuring more than one gadget.

I can't help suspecting insurance2go know this and are jacking up the premium counting on the fact that I won't be able to go elsewhere.

Anyone else had this issue?
    if i had known then what i know now
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    skintscot wrote: »
    I feel absolutely exploited by insurance2go. I insured a mobile and an iPad with them 2 years ago. Just renewed the mobile insurance a month ago at the usual price and have now had an email saying the premium for the tablet is increasing from £40 a year to £84.90. Quite an increase. Their explanation is an increase in insurance tax but the phone premium was the same as last year.
    I am struggling to get cover elsewhere as most insurers won't cover a gadget over 18 months old. Plus I'll miss out on any discount for insuring more than one gadget.

I can't help suspecting insurance2go know this and are jacking up the premium counting on the fact that I won't be able to go elsewhere.

Anyone else had this issue?

Is it not covered by your Home Contents Insurance?
  • Hello All,
    Just an update that currently Gadget Cover has a 20% Discount and you can get the exact same cover for £56 a Year which is almost £15 cheaper than the discounted price from Insurance2Go.
  • As far as I'm aware almost all insurance companies issue refurbished handsets as standard on insurance...
    I used to work for LSG who worked with EE, Vodafone, Barclays, Three, Lloyds and Phones4U and they all used refurbished phones...
    This is standard in the industry and is part of the T&C's...

They aren't really ripping you off or peddling second hand tat... they're doing as they said, replacing your phone for the same make and model or as close to that as possible.
    Unless the phone is damaged or faulty I don't see the issue with receiving a phone that is classed as refurbished. Especially when most 'refurbished phones' are simple handsets that have had their boxes opened and returned under 14 day cooling off periods...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback