Top Ten Products that you DON'T need (Babies!)

Comments

• Imdaewen
    Imdaewen Posts: 45 Forumite
    Just to add something I would never buy as we are going Baby Led Weaners rather than crappy baby food.

Food nets! We discussed these at length at weaning group. What a terrible idea, what are you telling your child about food when they are sucking it out of a net. Yuk! I don't know why manufacturers are engineering our brains to think that babies will immediately choke to death when given food.
    The 'Save 12k in 2014' Challenge: £639/ £8,000 (#208)
    Swagbucks: 299 SB / 849 SB Goal
  • dizziblonde
    dizziblonde Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Imdaewen wrote: »
    Just to add something I would never buy as we are going Baby Led Weaners rather than crappy baby food.

Aaahhh a nice helpful thread ruined by the arrival of a sanctimommy!

Stuff varies according to kids (including the Blessed Baby-Led Weaning - one of mine was having none of it, the other was grabbing and scoffing from as soon as she could). Sling worked well with one child - other one HATED it - got really upset at the feeling of her legs being constricted like that however many different ones and carries we tried. Bumbo wouldn't have worked for her as she was a real leg straightener because of reflux... but she loved a jumperoo (not that I think they're worth what they cost full-price though). Door bouncers... never quite trusted our door frames enough to risk it, and with an 11 month older big sister I had visions of a catapulted sibling contemplating one with the youngest!

Wastes of money for us were things like the infant carrier car seats which lots of people claim as godsends... couldn't get on with the weight or bulkiness of them and switched to 0+/1 fixed in car type ones very early on.

Our changing table now has stacker boxes of toys on and we bought a very basic one with that kind of future use in mind. Never used it much as a proper change table though. It's great for toddler games of cars and stuff as it's got a lip around the edge of the top of it so stuff isn't constantly rolling off the edges.

What works for people varies so massively - somewhere out there there is someone for whom a baby wipe warmer is an invaluable accessory...
    Little miracle born April 2012, 33 weeks gestation and a little toughie!
  • big5
    big5 Posts: 370 Forumite
    I know a lot of people think changing units are a waste of time and money, but we still use ours every day for changing nappies and getting our son dressed. He's 13 months and probably a bit lazy as he doesn't try to escape or roll off. If I change his nappy on the floor, however, he'll crawl away at the first opportunity. It's just a simple one with 3 shelves and we'll probably use it to store toys later.

We bought the fisher price infant to toddler rocker and it was invaluable for the first 6 months but once he could sit unsupported he didn't want to be in it. We've put it away for now as it's not much use for the in-between stage he's at, and will have to wait and see if he likes sitting in it once he can walk and get in and out of it by himself.

I had a stretchy wrap style sling which he was happy in as a newborn, then I bought a Manduca carrier which he hated. Wish I'd been able to try one out before buying.

He had lots of fun in his jumperoo (bought on special offer, wouldn't have paid full price) but now too tall for it, so it's in the loft for a future baby. Didn't want to risk a door bouncer as we have a dog and could imagine lots of potential problems there...

Our baby bath was also a good buy (bought for a few quid second hand) and was used for about 6 months until he could sit up in the big bath. Haven't bothered with a bath seat or anything, just a decent bath mat.
  • dizziblonde
    dizziblonde Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 11 May 2014 at 10:04PM
    http://www.elc.co.uk/Twist-and-Turn-Activity-House/134361,default,pd.html

Oh and nominating THIS as the greatest older-baby (it's age 12 months) toy ever. Picked it up in a charity shop for like 75p or something and both of mine (just turned 2 and just turned 1) have played with it for absolutely hours... it's got the youngest completely and totally engrossed in putting the ball in to roll down the roof, clapping as it goes, opening the door, removing the ball and repeating... meanwhile her sister's nicked the keys to use as either bracelets or a magnifying glass (she's been watching that minibeasts programme on TV). Had seen it in the shop and dismissed it as boring - but I've not known something grab the youngest as much as this has done!
    Little miracle born April 2012, 33 weeks gestation and a little toughie!
  • brazilianwax
    brazilianwax Posts: 9,438 Forumite
    edited 12 May 2014 at 10:58AM
    Best buys for us:

1. Baby hammock - bought second hand, DD slept in it from night she came home from hospital until she worked out how to climb out at 8 months.

2. Hospital grade double pump - I exclusively expressed for 7 months and could get loads out in 5 mins with this.

3. Breastflow bottles - she had to work for her milk as she would if breast feeding the 'traditional' way.

4. Jumperoo - she loved it, but was an early walker so wasn't in it for long, sadly.

5. Anbesol liquid - brilliant for awkward teething.

6. Stokke Xplory - she had every nap in the carry cot until about 6 months old. From 6 months had her facing me, up high. Great for eye contact and keeping away from car exhausts etc.

7. Travel cot with mattress - bought second hand and used as a safe place to put her while I went to the loo etc from about 6 months onwards.

8. Car seat mirror - great for seeing what she was doing while rear facing (up to about 2.5 years old).

9. Pacapod changing bag. Work of absolute genius.

10. Vibrating chair - soothed her and gave me a safe place for her to sit.

11. Sleeping bags - she often co-slept and I could fall asleep holding the bottom knowing she wouldn't fall off the bed.

Things we didn't bother with, and never needed:

1. Changing unit.

2. Moses basket.

3. Baby food.

4. Walker.

5. Baby bath.

6. Rocking chair.

7. Dummies - her thumb is attached to her.

8. Baby toiletries until she was mobile (and only non-Johnsons ones since).

9. Baby shoes until she was walking.

10. Outfits until she was over 6 months.

11. Baby bath. She just came in with me or DH.
    :A MSE's turbo-charged CurlyWurlyGirly:A
    ;)Thinks Naughty Things Too Much Clique Member No 3, 4 & 5 ;)
  • sharon7_2
    sharon7_2 Posts: 176 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hello did you find the anbesol liquid or gel better?
    :)
    Best buys for us:

1. Baby hammock - bought second hand, DD slept in it from night she came home from hospital until she worked out how to climb out at 8 months.

2. Hospital grade double pump - I exclusively expressed for 7 months and could get loads out in 5 mins with this.

3. Breastflow bottles - she had to work for her milk as she would if breast feeding the 'traditional' way.

4. Jumperoo - she loved it, but was an early walker so wasn't in it for long, sadly.

5. Anbesol - brilliant for awkward teething.

6. Stokke Xplory - she had every nap in the carry cot until about 6 months old. From 6 months had her facing me, up high. Great for eye contact and keeping away from car exhausts etc.

7. Travel cot with mattress - bought second hand and used as a safe place to put her while I went to the loo etc from about 6 months onwards.

8. Car seat mirror - great for seeing what she was doing while rear facing (up to about 2.5 years old).

9. Pacapod changing bag. Work of absolute genius.

10. Vibrating chair - soothed her and gave me a safe place for her to sit.

11. Sleeping bags - she often co-slept and I could fall asleep holding the bottom knowing she wouldn't fall off the bed.

Things we didn't bother with, and never needed:

1. Changing unit.

2. Moses basket.

3. Baby food.

4. Walker.

5. Baby bath.

6. Rocking chair.

7. Dummies - her thumb is attached to her.

8. Baby toiletries until she was mobile (and only non-Johnsons ones since).

9. Baby shoes until she was walking.

10. Outfits until she was over 6 months.

11. Baby bath. She just came in with me or DH.
  • brazilianwax
    brazilianwax Posts: 9,438 Forumite
    sharon7 wrote: »
    Hello did you find the anbesol liquid or gel better?
    :)

Liquid. Any teething gel just slides off gums.

(I'll amend my post accordingly.)
    :A MSE's turbo-charged CurlyWurlyGirly:A
    ;)Thinks Naughty Things Too Much Clique Member No 3, 4 & 5 ;)
  • Verianna
    Verianna Posts: 147 Forumite
    Best buys for us:

1. Baby hammock - Never used one until my 4th baby and then thought I would give it a go as my babies have previously been prone to flat heads so wanted to do everything to prevent it. She self settled from day one in it and it lasted to around 7/8 months. I've purchased one for this baby too :j

2. Muslin Squares - you can't have enough they work for mopping up spills, dribbles, using as a very light weight blanket, a snuggler, all sorts!

3. Bumbo - fantastic so mobile to move around.

4. Jumperoo - Best invention ever!

5. Car seat base - until you have been stuck in a down pour trying to strap a car seat in you will never realise how much of a god send these are.

6. Clevascoop - Haven't used it yet but I have ME and it causes my short term memory to be very poor, this eliminates the need to count scoops which I would just lose count after 3 :o

Waste of Money buys:

1. Fancy expensive baby monitor - cheaper one does same job.

2. Tummy tub bath - Babies are really difficult to get out of it when they wet lol, we ended up using it as a bucket.

3: Wipes warmer - never purchased one but seriously why would you need to warm wipes!!

4. Vibrating chair/swing - tried both and both were hated by my children, this time I have got a nuna leaf so will see how that goes, if baby doesn't like that it will be going in the cheapest bouncing chair going as my 4th loved that!

I think there are a million things I would never use but that doesn't mean it is not a lifesaver for someone else :rotfl: and over my 13 years of being a parent I have found one baby may have loved something but the next one hated it! I also found things change quickly, I haven't had a baby for 5 years and wasn't expecting to have any more so I have had to buy everything again, there was that much to choose from I felt like a FTM all over again :eek:
    Married mum to 4, new addition expected 02/07/14
  • topdaddy_2
    topdaddy_2 Posts: 1,408 Forumite
    edited 16 May 2014 at 5:27PM
    Had a couple of experiences where babies dont like cold wipes. So hold the wipes for 30 seconds prior. Takes that long to undo vests/clothes.
  • Best things for us have been:

Loads and loads of muslin cloths
    Electric breast pump
    Bouncy chair
    Moses basket was fantastic and our baby lasted 6 months in it as she was prem and so tiny! We got ours for £1 in a charity shop and just got a new mattress. The brand new ones are ridiculously expensive for the amount of time you use them
    Sophie girafe teether. My daughter loves hers!
    Video baby monitor. Some might think this is frivolous but I love being able to watch her sleep as I can see her breathing and check she's ok. I have it on my bedside table so if I wake in the night I can see her straight away.
    Gro bags are awesome!
    Foam floor mats are great if you have wooden floors

Things we didn't really need:

Nappy bin cassettes. We bought the bin and it came with 3 cassettes. We didn't bother buying any more as they're so dear! We do still use the bin but just normal bags (about 30p for 300 bags)
    Snowsuit. Our baby was so early, the weather was so warm by the time she would fit into it. They are quite expensive so maybe save buying one unless you're sure you'll need it!
    Mittens. She always managed to take them off! The sleep suits with mittens on them are fantastic though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure