Kids Xmas, Tablet for Kids

Looking for some advice please...... DS had asked for an Ipad for Xmas and I feel hes just far too young and its far too expensive a gift for a 6 year old, so I have been having a look at the Leappad and Innotab... anyone already bought these and can give me some feedback on what to get and if its age appropriate? Thanks folks!

Comments

• peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It might be age appropriate, but if all his friends/friends parents have ipads, it's going to be a waste of money, he'll be embarassed that hasn't got the real deal.

Not saying you should get him the ipad, rather you should wait until he is old enough and get something completely different.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • The iPad will give far more benefit to him and last much longer and get far more use than the others. Sorry.
  • emweaver
    emweaver Posts: 8,419 Forumite
    DD (also 6) has the leappad but much prefers using my ipad. The games and apps on the leappad are limited and very expensive some upto £20!

You can buy cheaper tablet computers than an ipad that may be worth looking into.
    Wins so far this year: Mum to be bath set, follow me Domino Dog, Vital baby feeding set, Spiderman goody bag, free pack of Kiplings cakes, £15 love to shop voucher, HTC Desire, Olive oil cooking spray, Original Source Strawberry Shower Gel, Garnier skin care hamper, Marc Jacobs fragrance.
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    My 5yo loves her brothers ipad - and really wants one- my main concern in the screen so we are thinking of getting a cheaper 'proper' tablet - an android one probably. IMO leappad are a total waste of money and they are better of with a more epxensive item that will last longer
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • My 6 year old will be getting an iPod touch, same as iPad but smaller and cheaper!
    I have an iPad and there is no way I'd trust a 6 year old with it, she would t purposefully do anything but is 6! as it is I have a scratch on my screen and I'm a grown woman trying to look after it
    (completely ignoring the cost factor too here, no way we can afford one)
    NSDs 7/20
    Make £10 a day £403.74/£310
  • sassyblue
    sassyblue Posts: 3,783 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We're getting DS an ipad for Christmas, he uses mine and has so many good games and books on it - l almost have to prise it off him!

Alot of them are free and we've turned off 'in app' purchases so he can't run up a big bill (he doesn't know the password anyway but just in case....). He's allowed 2 apps a week that we pay for - if he remembers.

Is the leapster the ones that has 'plug in' games? Some of those can be quite a bit of money and that's what made my mind up, hte ipad will last longer and has cheaper apps in the long run.

Sorry to probably confuse you or not be any help.

Happy moneysaving all.
  • Thanks for all the help and advice folks, I really think an Ipad is the best option, OH not too happy and thinks we are "spoiling" him if we get him one, but as has been said the games for the leappad are £20 a go!!

I have called the apple store this morning as I was looking into the Mini Ipad but apparently this is just a rumour mill at the moment and its not confirmed that this is def going to be launched.
  • masonsmum wrote: »
    Thanks for all the help and advice folks, I really think an Ipad is the best option, OH not too happy and thinks we are "spoiling" him if we get him one, but as has been said the games for the leappad are £20 a go!!

I have called the apple store this morning as I was looking into the Mini Ipad but apparently this is just a rumour mill at the moment and its not confirmed that this is def going to be launched.

The iPad mini (if launched) will be announced either this month or next month at Apple's conferences. But also bear in mind that they also sell refurbished iPads for much cheaper through their online store. Apple's refurbishment is basically brand new, just without the box, and in some cases, with.
  • mwddrwg
    mwddrwg Posts: 517 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    My kids (both 8) love playing with my Samsung Galaxy S2 which is Android-based so have bought two £45 Android tablets for Christmas. Have checked them and both work a treat so an absolute bargain for both hopefully! The games they love work great as does BBC iplayer which gets used a lot (Tracy Beaker addict in our house!)
    In deep...
  • raven83
    raven83 Posts: 3,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    mwddrwg wrote: »
    My kids (both 8) love playing with my Samsung Galaxy S2 which is Android-based so have bought two £45 Android tablets for Christmas. Have checked them and both work a treat so an absolute bargain for both hopefully! The games they love work great as does BBC iplayer which gets used a lot (Tracy Beaker addict in our house!)

Are they actually any good though? Do they freeze and crash? My DD would love a tablet but I cannot spend nearly £400 on one child and not the rest so am looking for something cheaper but fairly good.
    Raven. :grinheart:grinheart:grinheart

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport