Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    hids
    freebies from your local paper
    • 7th Feb 05, 10:52 AM
    freebies from your local paper 7th Feb 05 at 10:52 AM
    try your local paper competition page, my secret is to post as near to the competition ending as possible ....these are some of my wins off the top of my head
    3 x 50 pound netto vouchers
    tickets to see Beyonce M.E.N arena
    50 pound m&s vouchers
    family ticket to blackpool tower and circus
    family ticket to Eureka museum
    family ticket to Alton towers
    Free meal at Brewers Fayre ( cost 60 quid)
    Girls night in cd
    6 tickets to manchester imax (each ticket admits 2)
    popcorn machine
    various books
    Richard Pryor dvd
    tickets to martin mere nature reserve in blackpool
    2x t shirts
    herb garden and lo salt
    tickets to theatre
    2 x remote control minis
    2 packs of blank cd's

I use the free stationery i get from avery etc and post it through the door as i don't live too far (saves on stamps) think they've cottoned on though as i'm not winning as often but i use my mums address as well hence the duplicate wins....worth a go though........this weeks competition is 200 quid party pack including beer so fingers crossed.
    Last edited by hids; 07-02-2005 at 11:35 AM.
Page 1
  • elvis_bloggs
    • 7th Feb 05, 10:59 AM
    • 7th Feb 05, 10:59 AM
    I use the free stationery i get from avery etc and post it through the door as i don't live too far (saves on stamps) think they've cottoned on though as i'm not winning as often but i use my mums address as well hence the duplicate wins....worth a go though........this weeks competition is 200 quid party pack including beer so fingers crossed.
    by hids
    Ah but, do you have holes in your shoes.?
  • hids
    • 7th Feb 05, 11:03 AM
    • 7th Feb 05, 11:03 AM
    no holes in shoes.....but seem to be going through tyres on the car quicker than usual
    • tiff
    • By tiff 23rd Feb 05, 12:58 AM
    • 6,551 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    • 23rd Feb 05, 12:58 AM
    • 23rd Feb 05, 12:58 AM
    Hi, just wondered why its an advantage to post your entry near the competition end?
    A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went. - Dave Ramsey
  • hids
    • 23rd Feb 05, 11:10 PM
    • 23rd Feb 05, 11:10 PM
    it seems that when i posted near to closing date i seemed to win, i can only presume that it ended up top of the pile!!
    • Jummy
    • By Jummy 3rd Mar 05, 11:14 AM
    • 683 Posts
    • 218 Thanks
    Jummy
    • 3rd Mar 05, 11:14 AM
    • 3rd Mar 05, 11:14 AM
    I've won a few comps that were in my local paper.
    I managed to get family tickets to Legoland and Gullivers.
  • poorcat
    • 8th Mar 05, 10:38 PM
    • 8th Mar 05, 10:38 PM
    I can promise you that at the paper I work for we don't just pick the one nearest the top of the pile! But there are ways that you can up your chances.
    Colourful envelopes stand out (it's nice to see a bit of effort) - any envelope at all is better than nothing because they're easier to grab hold of than the entry forms
    Some compers cram all the entries for the different competitions into the same envelope. If you do this, back each one with cardboard - again, easier to grab hold of, less likely to fall to the bottom of the box.
    You would be shocked at the low number of entries for some of the competitions - people don't bother entering because they don't think they'll win. I find this particuarly with the comps I run on the youth page - teens are not big compers.
    And no, I can't enter them myself - and any unclaimed prizes go to charity. I don't mind, I got the new New Order album in the post the other week, a month ahead of release! I love my job.
  • hids
    • 9th Mar 05, 8:34 AM
    • 9th Mar 05, 8:34 AM
    yes i tend to use brighter envelopes or large envelopes, maybe that's why i havent been winning recently because ive been using up all my white envelopes, better get to tescos and stock up!!!
    • katyk
    • By katyk 6th Oct 05, 11:15 PM
    • 503 Posts
    • 245 Thanks
    katyk
    • 6th Oct 05, 11:15 PM
    • 6th Oct 05, 11:15 PM
    Not a local paper but a local shopping mall was where I won. Stand promoting kids fitness with a basketball hoop and football goals to let them while away 10 minutes between shopping for gymshoes and pencilcases. Just had to fill in n&a and put it in their mailbox there. Actually won a 4 day family holiday at a PGL campsite with 500 spending money to be taken by end of 2005 - over the moon till I realised PGL operate purely for groups of schoolkids during term time and the only week we could actually go was the one commencing 24/10. Unfortunately we are in Aberdeen and Scottish schools go back that week - our hols are the 2 weeks before that. Even the one PGL site in Scotland on offer goes only by English school holidays. Devastated - until I complained about it on grounds that it was logical that someone from the NE of Scotland would win, and that he/she would have school kids so rediculous to offer holiday we couldn't actually take. Mall have now sorted me out with an alternative - 4 nights at a Centre Parcs site instead. We're off on the 17th. Whoopee. Well worth moaning if you feel you're in the right.
  • sandra fletcher
    If it says post card enty is it ok to put on a sealed envelope, I have done this before but not sure if it counts.

Thanks
  • rosepink
    Comps in Local papers
    I can only encourage everyone to enter as someone has to win. I have just won 200 to spend in a new Evans store which has recently opened! Fantastic prize and a complete surprise to me when the letter arrived. I have often been lucky and won a Classic FM holiday to USA, trip on orient Express and cash prizes in a 200 club lottery. None of these needed any skill -just the fact of being in the draw! Good luck to you all!
    • freebird65
    • By freebird65 23rd Oct 05, 11:52 PM
    • 1,731 Posts
    • 2,682 Thanks
    freebird65
    Blimey - have never bothered as I figured I wouldn't stand a chance.......maybe time to change that attitude!

Well done all of you for all your wins!

:-)
    • lynnemcf
    • By lynnemcf 24th Oct 05, 1:17 PM
    • 1,214 Posts
    • 994 Thanks
    lynnemcf
    If it says post card enty is it ok to put on a sealed envelope, I have done this before but not sure if it counts.

Thanks
    by sandra fletcher
    If the entry form says postcard entry then enter on a postcard. The most important tip I have for entering competitions is READ THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS. Try your local cinema for free postcards, or your local college. Some pubs/clubs also have them (usually a rack near the toilets!)
    • Johntea
    • By Johntea 25th Oct 05, 8:37 AM
    • 1,118 Posts
    • 310 Thanks
    Johntea
    You get some really good postcards at the cinema, I go to Cineworld and they have a "Simpsons Complete Season 6" postcard with the shape of Homer Simpson

For the record the other day I won a years supply of some fancy sugar with a funny name - Better than nothing I suppose!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,462Posts Today

7,930Users online

Martin's Twitter