Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • divadee
    • By divadee 31st Jan 05, 8:45 AM
    • 10,457 Posts
    • 17,895 Thanks
    divadee
    • 31st Jan 05, 8:45 AM
    • 31st Jan 05, 8:45 AM
    well done you.

I never win anything
  • rushnowt
    • 31st Jan 05, 9:37 AM
    • 31st Jan 05, 9:37 AM
    Well done, its nice to hear when people actually win these things
    Nobody can make you feel inferior, without your permission

Love doesn't make the world go round, it's what makes the ride worthwhile

ya still freezing

• JPS
    • By JPS 31st Jan 05, 10:16 AM
    • 1,350 Posts
    • 394 Thanks
    JPS
    • 31st Jan 05, 10:16 AM
    • 31st Jan 05, 10:16 AM
    That's great to hear! Well done klondyke
    The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing
  • jimamberdog
    • 31st Jan 05, 11:39 AM
    • 31st Jan 05, 11:39 AM
    hubby won a racing day at thruxton courtesy of pirelli tyres few months back. Sold it in the local paper for 150 quid! He's also wona fleece, some nikwax and a footie video over the last hew months. We're still waiting for the biggie, though....
    • libra10
    • By libra10 31st Jan 05, 7:43 PM
    • 12,408 Posts
    • 298,854 Thanks
    libra10
    • 31st Jan 05, 7:43 PM
    • 31st Jan 05, 7:43 PM
    Congratulations everybody, lovely prizes
    • one-non-blonde
    • By one-non-blonde 31st Jan 05, 9:01 PM
    • 807 Posts
    • 504 Thanks
    one-non-blonde
    • 31st Jan 05, 9:01 PM
    It didn't last long...
    • 31st Jan 05, 9:01 PM
    A couple of years ago I got a letter from Sainsburys to say I'd won 1,000 which completely confused me as I couldn't remember entering any competitions. Eventually discovered it had been on the one and only occasion I had ever stuck my Nectar card in the points machine at the entrance (just to see what it did) and I'd been automatically entered.

The prize was Sainsburys vouchers but it kept us going in groceries for several months!

PS - I've always assumed that (apart from making sure you spend them in their shop!) vouchers were a sort of tax dodge, does anyone know if monetary competition prizes should be declared on self-assessment?
    If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor...
  • Foxy
    • 31st Jan 05, 9:13 PM
    • 31st Jan 05, 9:13 PM
    im won on the garnier web site a couple of months back and got fructus dhampoo condition and frizz ease think it was. didnt think it too bad as they were full size and the arent that cheap to buy
    It is not what you give your friend, but what you are willing to give him that determines the quality of friendship. -- Mary Dixon Thayer
  • klondyke
    • 31st Jan 05, 11:40 PM
    • 31st Jan 05, 11:40 PM
    does anyone know if monetary competition prizes should be declared on self-assessment?
    by one-non-blonde

No - prizes are completely free of tax in UK. Think US is different.

Guess I'm a bit of a comping nerd and have done quite well over the years, but resolution is TO DO BETTER!!
    • ksh123
    • By ksh123 1st Feb 05, 12:31 PM
    • 1,229 Posts
    • 750 Thanks
    ksh123
    I've won a few nice things ovr the last 15mths or so - hampers, dvds, make-up, kitchen stuff, hair stuff etc. But the best ever was last September when I spent 3 days in Nashvile courtesy of Mr Jack Daniels! FAB!
    • savvy
    • By savvy 1st Feb 05, 10:10 PM
    • 30,206 Posts
    • 47,074 Thanks
    savvy
    Crikey this takes me back, I used to do competitions when the kids were smaller and I actually had a bit of free time.....................my god, what is that?? lol

Some successes were;

Super Nintendo
    Gameboy (when they first came out!)
    300 spending spree in HMV
    Weekend at Haven
    200 party package from Tesco
    and loads of smaller stuff

It was good fun, but you really need time to devote to it, aaah well, have to wait til retirement!!!! :rolleyes:
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm

I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones

• spidystrider
    • By spidystrider 3rd Feb 05, 11:58 PM
    • 1,232 Posts
    • 1,582 Thanks
    spidystrider
    I've done loads of competitions over the last 3 months and I've won nothing, but my 9 year old daughter received her third prize this morning. She was delighted to open her parcel to find a really cute cuddly monkey with a hot water bottle inside.

Congratulations to all the competition winners. Roll on my turn!
    Mortgage Free in 3-T2 : Started at 151,000 Nov. 2009 Mortgage Free Oct 1st 2015
  • klondyke
    Just been notified of 10 Amazon gift voucher from Wellbeing (random prizes for filling out their survey if I'm feeling well enough!)

And 50 on premium bonds ('bout time too!)
    • catznine
    • By catznine 4th Feb 05, 1:34 AM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 24,544 Thanks
    catznine
    I haven't entered any comps for ages but did have a spell about 10 years ago of winning a few of those "givaways" you send off to the magazines for on a postcard, included a portmerrion fruit bowl, a lovely duvet set, some flavoured sparkling water, a recipe book and a wine cooler. So it's true what they say "you have to be in it to win it". Have never won anything big though.

Love this board!
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge 35.77/120
    • lyniced
    • By lyniced 4th Feb 05, 10:52 PM
    • 1,847 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    lyniced
    Today I won a Sixth Sense DVD and two free cinema tickets at my local Odeon cinema for answering a competition question. I never win anything, so I'm really really chuffed.
    • JPS
    • By JPS 5th Feb 05, 12:12 AM
    • 1,350 Posts
    • 394 Thanks
    JPS
    Congrats to everyone who has won prizes recently - you lucky, lucky people!!
    The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing
  • adqwerty
    Years Ago
    Years ago my mom used to enter competitions on the radio station BRMB

She won

An all inclusive holiday for the family to disney land
    600 Cash
    A Brand new car

And loads of other things so i was a very happy child
    • sparky61
    • By sparky61 5th Feb 05, 4:39 PM
    • 10,288 Posts
    • 24,953 Thanks
    sparky61
    Last May I won a holiday to Las Vegas including a helicopter flight along the Strip.
    I'm with AOL and when you log on there is nearly always a competition to enter.
    When I got the phone call to tell me I'd won I must have come across as quite rude as I thought it was one of those dodgy prize phonecalls, it wasn't until I received the confirmation in writing that I really believed it.
    • VickyA
    • By VickyA 5th Feb 05, 5:03 PM
    • 4,451 Posts
    • 21,712 Thanks
    VickyA
    Well, this is my total of prizes so far in my lifetime:

Travel Trivial Pursuit (won because I must have been the only entrant!)
    Rugby World Cup pin badge in 1993!
    mini pen knife
    box of Gordon Ramsay chocs
    bra and knicker set

Surely my big win will be soon? Please?
    Sealed Pot Challenge #021 #8 975.71 #9 881.44 #10 961.13 #11 782.13 #12 741.83 declared
    • toozie
    • By toozie 6th Feb 05, 8:31 AM
    • 3,249 Posts
    • 5,904 Thanks
    toozie
    Some of the stuff I've won over the last 3 years:
    Several DVD's, Video's and CD's
    Ford Formula First Rally day with prom photos (Mr. T loved it)
    150 red Letter day..being used this month for a friend and I to go and be pampered at Hoar Cross Hall
    Concert Tickets
    Books
    BBQ Set
    Designer Sun Glasses
    Sweatshirts...OK for painting in!
    House Cleaning Materials Pack worth about 50.00
    Dish washed pack worth about 30.00
    Personal CD Player
    Digital Camera
    Debenhams make up set
    and many more small items

There has been more, I'm still waiting for the 'Big One', its far easier to win in entries to local competitions, not many people enter these.
    I spend about 3.00 a week on second class stamps to enter.
    I haven't had time to look at this new board...too busy with the rest of the site....Mr. T thinks I'm having an affair with MARTIN!!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

134Posts Today

2,295Users online

Martin's Twitter