123-Reg Domain Scam Phishing Emails

RealGem
RealGem Posts: 569 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 19 October 2019 at 1:17PM in Techie Stuff
Hi, If anyone has a .co.uk domain registered with 123-reg.co.uk you might have seen emails claiming to be from them, saying your service will stop if you fail to renew.

But the domain they claim is yours ends with .uk (not .co.uk) so the domain is not yours. But some people no doubt fail to notice the end of the email, and only notice the site name. It must be working because they have been sending these emails relentlessly for the past few months.

The emails are phishing scam emails, and they use your details to relieve your bank account of your hard earned cash. I have contacted the real 123-reg and they don't even bother replying, which makes me wonder if they are involved indirectly.

The emails say you MUST renew or lose your site, and they say you can't unsubscribe from the emails as it's an important notification about a service you are using.

I stopped using the real 123-reg when they started using FORCED autorenew, and took the money two months in advance and had zero helpful support. So they are pretty shady themselves, even if they are not also doing the phishing emails.

If you HAVE renewed with them, make sure it is the correct site by accessing 123-reg via Google, NOT via a link in an email.

If you got caught renewing on the scam site, immediately change your password in the real site, and put a stop on the associated credit card.

I was lucky, but only because I'm no longer a customer of 123-reg.co.uk. I might not have noticed the .uk version of my domain if I still was a customer.

When I looked at who sent the email, although it says 123-reg.co.uk in the FROM field, the email was mailed from 123emailmarketing.co.uk.

The fact they use GoDaddy (a US domain company) tells you it's unlikely to be the real 123-reg.co.uk. (But 123-reg either SOLD everyone's emails to other companies which is illegal in itself, or they are the scammers and are pretending to be a different company).

If you want to contact Nominet.co.uk the governing body, or GoDaddy as I have, it will all add weight, and they might actually do something.

As none of the people I have reported it to have done anything yet, I can only let people know about it.
Look at it this way... In a hundred years who's gonna care?

Comments

• mksysb
    mksysb Posts: 354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Probably a genuine email and you do own the ,uk domain, it was given free of charge by 123-reg.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/09/14/123reg_customers_outraged_at_automatic_uk_domain_registration/
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Yep -- not a scam at all. 123-reg gave away .uk domain rental for FREE to anyone with a matching .co.uk address. The free period has now come to an end.
  • RealGem
    RealGem Posts: 569 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    mksysb wrote: »
    Probably a genuine email and you do own the ,uk domain, it was given free of charge by 123-reg.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/09/14/123reg_customers_outraged_at_automatic_uk_domain_registration/

Thank you.

This is why I think 123-reg are likely to be involved in the scam. They offered them free so they could make a ton of money at renewal.

It is still definitely a Scam!

It is also illegal NOT to have an Unsubscribe link at the bottom of all emails. And for the other reasons I gave above.

You might have taken them up on the free offer of the .uk version, but I certainly did NOT. I am not even a customer of theirs anymore, as I said above (and not been for over 9 years).

And why would a UK Domain company be using a rival US domain company to register an alternate domain to send these emails, if they weren't up to no good?

It looks like they are covertly trying to look like a different company. From the link you gave, it seems Nominet are also aware, so that explains why no word from them either. They're all on the fiddle!
    Look at it this way... In a hundred years who's gonna care?
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 October 2019 at 5:40PM
    esuhl wrote: »
    Yep -- not a scam at all. 123-reg gave away .uk domain rental for FREE to anyone with a matching .co.uk address. The free period has now come to an end.
    ^This.

I've just gone onto their site and renewed my .co.uk domain and sure enough there was a .uk one to be renewed if I wanted it, I didn't. No phishing scam I can see.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    RealGem wrote: »
    Thank you.

This is why I think 123-reg are likely to be involved in the scam. They offered them free so they could make a ton of money at renewal.

It is still definitely a Scam!

It is also illegal NOT to have an Unsubscribe link at the bottom of all emails. And for the other reasons I gave above.

You might have taken them up on the free offer of the .uk version, but I certainly did NOT. I am not even a customer of theirs anymore, as I said above (and not been for over 9 years).

And why would a UK Domain company be using a rival US domain company to register an alternate domain to send these emails, if they weren't up to no good?

It looks like they are covertly trying to look like a different company. From the link you gave, it seems Nominet are also aware, so that explains why no word from them either. They're all on the fiddle!
    They're not forcing you to take this .uk domain. It and your .co.uk domain remain unticked unless you choose to renew. So just choose the one you do want and move on.
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    It is very poor behaviour by 123, nevertheless.

I've never received anything from them saying "We're giving you a free year of the .uk versions of all your .co.uk domains. At the end of the free year, you'll have the choice as to whether to keep it as a paid-for domain or to discard it".

VERY poor behaviour.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport