Spending Review: state pension age to rise early

13»

Comments

• goamike
    goamike Posts: 113 Forumite
    dunstonh wrote: »
    You dont have to work extra. You only need to work as long as you want to and need to.

The UK's current average retirement age for men is between 62 and 63. The state pension age is unlikely to change that. It clearly shows that a good proportion of the population have been funding their retirement provision. The only ones that are going to lose are those that don't take personal responsibility for their finances.

I agree with everything you say, but i still feel like i am being robbed of a years money.
    Keep right on :T :beer:
  • goamike
    goamike Posts: 113 Forumite
    hugheskevi wrote: »
    Reminds me of one of my favourite quotes...Aim low and achieve :D

Apologies i should have worded it better.

I meant to say i will have a decent pension coming up to retirement, but the thought of working another year does not float my boat at this current time and soa t 65 i will leave my job and then the state can look after me.

sounds so simple doesant it, but i know it wont work out like that.:rotfl:;):j
    Keep right on :T :beer:
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    goamike, it's not so much that you're bing robbed of a year's money as given several years more life courtesy of the NHS and improving life expectancies. Working one of those extra years isn't too bad a deal if you can't save up enough to live on during the extra year.

Provided you have normal life expectancy. It's a much harder deal for those who have reason not to expect to live as long as average and who will lose a greater proportion of their retirement than average.
  • Does anyone know a link where I can find details for women of the new proposed retirement ages if you are now 56 or 57 yrs? The daily mail and telegraph seem to give contradictory information.Thanks.
  • hugheskevi
    hugheskevi Posts: 3,832 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Does anyone know a link where I can find details for women of the new proposed retirement ages if you are now 56 or 57 yrs?

There is one here
  • Thank you appreciate the help .
  • juicyjude
    juicyjude Posts: 670 Forumite
    Thank you so much for the link. This has helped me more than anything else. More clear now, not happy but at least we know now.
  • Please read, sign, publicise and link to this petition below. Thank you.

http:// epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/320

Keep the State Pension age at 60 for women and 65 for men

Responsible department: Department for Work and Pensions

The State Pension age for men and women must remain at 65 and 60 respectively. No current or future governments are to change that. If people are living longer that does not change the fact that a 60 year old is still 60 years old - with all the hardships and weariness that come with age. Working for 40 years is enough for anyone, but women and men are different. Women carry human life. This is not an equality issue (maybe an equality of misery issue). We do not want our mothers, sisters, daughters and wives to be forced to work until they are older than 60 years old. The people of this country will do what they can to help this country. But we will not be forced to work until we drop. Birth, school, work, death. There has got to be more to life than that.
    “Operator! Give me the number for 999!"
    :cool2::question:
  • Aegis
    Aegis Posts: 5,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Please read, sign, publicise and link to this petition below. Thank you.

http:// epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/320

Keep the State Pension age at 60 for women and 65 for men

Responsible department: Department for Work and Pensions

The State Pension age for men and women must remain at 65 and 60 respectively. No current or future governments are to change that. If people are living longer that does not change the fact that a 60 year old is still 60 years old - with all the hardships and weariness that come with age. Working for 40 years is enough for anyone, but women and men are different. Women carry human life. This is not an equality issue (maybe an equality of misery issue). We do not want our mothers, sisters, daughters and wives to be forced to work until they are older than 60 years old. The people of this country will do what they can to help this country. But we will not be forced to work until we drop. Birth, school, work, death. There has got to be more to life than that.
    What a horribly sexist petition. I'm not signing that.

I'm also not signing anything where the author of the petition has failed to account for how much that will cost. It's not about weariness or amalgamated hardships at age 60, it's about whether it's affordable to pay the state pension from 60 or 65 given the average life expectancy at age 65 is now 17.6 years for men and 20.2 for women. That's essentially asking the system to pay out for, on average, more than half as long as someone would normally work during their life, and that's assuming everyone gets the pension at age 65. It's a wonderful dream that we'll be able to keep increasing life expectancy while maintaining the same retirement ages, but in reality it's just not feasible.

Unless there's a decent bit of information detailing where the money to pay for people to retire earlier will come from, I will be staying clear.
    I am a Chartered Financial Planner
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
  • chris_m
    chris_m Posts: 8,250 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Aegis wrote: »
    What a horribly sexist petition. I'm not signing that.

Agreed - equality means equality in everything, no picking and choosing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure