Travel insurance claim..?

Options
I have just returned from Barcelona where my girlfriend had my wallet stolen from her bag on a bus. I’m insured with coverwise who say they will cover upto £200 cash with a £50 excess. My question is is it worth claiming for £150 to possibly have future premiums bumped up for claiming...??

Comments

• csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    301 wrote: »
    I have just returned from Barcelona where my girlfriend had my wallet stolen from her bag on a bus. I’m insured with coverwise who say they will cover upto £200 cash with a £50 excess. My question is is it worth claiming for £150 to possibly have future premiums bumped up for claiming...??

As far as I am aware, when I buy travel insurance, they didn't ask for previous claims in the price comparison questions
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
    Options
    I was wondering if claims were kept on a data base then reared their ugly head upon applying for new insurance, as it is with car insurance, as I was recently stung for not declaring a non fault claim from 4yrs ago
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 18 February 2019 at 9:12PM
    Options
    You should claim

It won't affect future travel insurance premiums

(Your problem over your car insurance was down to you not disclosing your previous claim which will have been seen as an attempt to get a cheaper premium - and that is why insurers share details via a database!)
  • uk1
    uk1 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    301 wrote: »

When applying for house insurance you are often asked a catchall question about previous insurance claims. These are used to judge you as a general risk as house contents cover offers quite a wide range of cover. Sometimes these questions are restricted to previous household insurance claims and on some policies they are more vague. Sometimes trhey might say "in the last "x" number of years". If asked generally then the impact of this claim could well affect the premium for house contents and/or buildings premiums and whether some insurers will be prepared to offer you cover.

So the answer to your question is that it may well increase future premiums on some policies and you should take that into account.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    uk1 wrote: »
    When applying for house insurance you are often asked a catchall question about previous insurance claims. These are used to judge you as a general risk as house contents cover offers quite a wide range of cover. Sometimes these questions are restricted to previous household insurance claims and on some policies they are more vague. Sometimes trhey might say "in the last "x" number of years". If asked generally then the impact of this claim could well affect the premium for house contents and/or buildings premiums and whether some insurers will be prepared to offer you cover.

So the answer to your question is that it may well increase future premiums on some policies and you should take that into account.
    Not really true

When applying for house insurance you are asked about previous house insurance claims!

Eg. This is the Aviva question when applying for house insurance:
    Tell us about any home claims you or anyone you live with has made in the last 5 years

Your travel insurance claims history/car insurance etc isn't asked for!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My daughter had an accident costing Post office insurance £18k in January 2018 , I’ve just taken out a joint policy with them for her and I to go to Europe later this year without any issues .

They were very good (not perfect) when she had her accident so I won’t hesitate to use them .
  • uk1
    uk1 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    Not really true

When applying for house insurance you are asked about previous house insurance claims!

Your travel insurance claims history/car insurance etc isn't asked for!

It is exactly as I outlined in my earlier post.

For example, some home contents insurance offer policies that duplicate some cover that is offered under travel insurance for example possessions temporarily removed from the home. I have such a policy. With respect to the OP's very specific situation I have cover on my contents policy:
    Money: You are covered up to £2,500 for theft or loss of money, at home and while away from home.
    This is in addition to posessions removed from the home generally. On the proposal form you are therefore specifically asked
    Has anyone whose property is to be insured sustained any loss or damage during the last five years, for which they have claimed or not, which would have been covered by this type of insurance if it had been in force? Yes No

If Yes, please provide details below:

Action taken to prevent (a) similar loss(es) occurring again:

As I said in my earlier post, more general questions are often asked particularly for home contents where a degree of all-risks is being offered.

Furthermore, contents insurers offering cover duplicated by travel insurance are also therefore jointly liable to meet claims for amounts that are not covered under the travel policy but are covered under the contents policy and the Financial Ombudsman will not allow insurers to avoid it by pointing to their small print.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure