Reclaiming Credit Card Charges

Is it still possible to claim back credit card charges?

I'm having a clear out and found charges, many more than £12, so I'm wondering if it's possible to claim.

The credit cards are with Yorkshire Bank, Bank of Scotland and Tesco.

Many thanks

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You're highly unlikely to get anywhere with historical charges, the supreme court in 2009 ruled that historical bank charges were not unfair which set a precedent for similar cases.

Credit card charges were ruled too high in 2006 by the OFT and the charges were all reduced to £12 and have been since then. No-one has since challenged this ruling as the OFT only said they would take legal action if it people were charging more than this.

As such, if you were charged £12 (or less) since 2006 you were charged an amount considered, at least not unfair, if not fair, by the OFT and thus no reason you would be able to complain about them. If it was before 2006 there was no ruling so any charge was ok.

If you're lucky, a nice gentleman named Brown will be on here shortly to tell you that you can sue the bank and win all your charges back but no evidence has ever been presented that this route succeeds as all the "wins" that he talks about involve people signing NDAs with the bank so no-one knows what, if any, money was refunded.
  • Bermonia
    Bermonia Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Post
    Ahh... where would we be without Mr Brown’s wisdom and guidance? ��

As Nas has already said, fees cannot be assessed for their level of fairness - even if they could your complaint would be time barred as considerably more than six years after the event.

In the words of Frozen... ‘let it go’.
  • Nasqueron
    Bermonia wrote: »
    Ahh... where would we be without Mr Brown’s wisdom and guidance? ��

As Nas has already said, fees cannot be assessed for their level of fairness - even if they could your complaint would be time barred as considerably more than six years after the event.

In the words of Frozen... ‘let it go’.

If it was post 2006 and the charges were more than £12 per go (assuming OP isn't taking about multiples of £12) then there may actually be scope for a complaint, citing the OFT ruling. Of course if it was pre-2006 or indeed, just lots of single charges, no chance and yes probably time barred anyway.
  • durali
    durali Posts: 71 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you for your replies. My charges are pre 2006 in some instances. Also above the £12, some are £30.
  • Nasqueron
    durali wrote: »
    Thank you for your replies. My charges are pre 2006 in some instances. Also above the £12, some are £30.

Pre-2006 they weren't unfair, the case didn't confirm this until after 2006, prior to that you don't really have a case. You could ask with a nod to the OFT case but they don't have to give you a refund.
  • durali
    On MSE web site there is a step by step guide to reclaiming credit card charges. I thought over £12 was reclaimable.
    Today I have been in touch with the companies and will see how it goes.
  • Nasqueron
    On MSE web site there is a step by step guide to reclaiming credit card charges. I thought over £12 was reclaimable.

Yes, SINCE 2006 when they were ruled to be unfair if higher than £12, prior to that ruling they were not considered unfair.

It's like if you drive down a road at 40mph in a 40mph limit, then the council change it to 30mph the next week and send you a ticket for speeding, would you accept it?
  • durali wrote: »
    On MSE web site there is a step by step guide
    That guide has been archived, it's no longer updated and much of it is now woefully out-of-date.
    However the article does clearly state:
    "You need to find all the fines you’ve been charged by each credit card. You can go back six years in England and Wales or five years in Scotland; these time periods are limited by law."
    Nothing dated prior to 2006 will be refunded, I'm afraid.

You don't appear to be reading the responses here?

Even post 2006 charges will be time-barred by now..

Expect a swift rejection..
  • durali
    Thank you Moneyineptitude. I am reading the responses but following the guide on mse. Perhaps I shouldn't be. It says:
    How much should I ask for?

This is where it gets a bit trickier. But don’t worry, it’s simply about how hard you’re going to push. Remember, the OFT has pretty much indicated any charges higher than £12 are challengeable.
    • Charges from before June 2006. Credit card charges from before this date will usually have cost between £30 and £35. With these, you can ask for either the full amount of each charge to be refunded or the difference between the actual charge and the OFT-recommended fee of £12. So, a charge of £35 minus £12 would give a refund of £23.
    • Charges after June 2006. For any charges on or after June 2006, you were probably hit for £12 each time. As this is already set to the OFT-recommended amount, you simply need to ask for the full £12 amount to be refunded.
    What is the "time barring"? Please
  • durali wrote: »
    I am reading the responses but following the guide on mse. Perhaps I shouldn't be.
    Correct. The article is archived. It's out-of-date
    What is the "time barring"?
    "You can only go back six years"

Basically, you won't be getting any money.

Sorry.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport