Vegan Living & Ethical Buying

Comments

• Hi there lovely vegan-type peeps! Newbie forumite here! I was wondering if anyone was planning to grow their own veggies this year, & if so do you have any savvy tips? I've made a list of what seeds to sow when (I follow the moon phase planting system) & am raring to go, just waiting for things to warm up a bit! Look forward to hearing your views!

Welcome aboard 2madcollies!! :D I used to grow quite a bit but doing the house up has meant that very little has been done over the past year or so :o However, I am going to start again on a small scale this year and when I get the garden re-done next year, I will be growing my own in earnest :j

The only pieces of advice I would give is grow things that are expensive to buy, perennials and things which don't keep well - I spent a fortune when I first started out on compost etc. and grew things which would have cost me less to buy!! :rotfl:
    Now I have raspberry canes, tayberries and loganberries, grapes, globe artichokes and herbs - all of which are productive for a number of years (and expensive to buy!) and I grow salad leaves throughout the year (cut and come again stuff), cavelo nero (black tuscan kale), tomatoes as I eat tons of them (I also dehydrate them and freeze lots) and broad beans because I just love them!! ;)

All is going well here - I've been awol for a while as there have been some major distractions in rl...thankfully, it has all settled down now so I can start to get my focus back :D DS has constructed some storage for me in my utility room and kitchen so I have had a big move around of my kitchen cupboards and finally had enough space to put away the majority of my suma order!!:j:j
    I have enough food in the house to sink a battleship and enough household and toiletry products to last at least 3-4 months so probably won't need to do another order for a considerable period ;)

The vegan wax wraps are doing well - unfortunately, I didn't speak to my ds & dil about their care and a couple ended up being washed in hot water - thankfully it doesn't appear to have stripped them of the wax but I'm not sure if they will last as long as the others.....I really must remember to give the babies instructions before I let them loose on my stuff! :rotfl:

Hope everyone had a great winter break and has survived January relatively unscathed!
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi there lovely vegan-type peeps! Newbie forumite here! I was wondering if anyone was planning to grow their own veggies this year, & if so do you have any savvy tips? I've made a list of what seeds to sow when (I follow the moon phase planting system) & am raring to go, just waiting for things to warm up a bit!

Look forward to hearing your views!
    Lol don’t bring me into this, what I plant I kill off, and what I don’t, the dogs dig up :(:rotfl:

But seriously, I was thinking of trying again somehow and bought lots of seeds.......however, at the moment am too busy to try and make raised beds etc so the dogs can’t access it all :(
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • savvy
    Welcome aboard 2madcollies!! :D I used to grow quite a bit but doing the house up has meant that very little has been done over the past year or so :o However, I am going to start again on a small scale this year and when I get the garden re-done next year, I will be growing my own in earnest

Hope everyone had a great winter break and has survived January relatively unscathed!

Yep my house renovations have been long and drawn out, most of my time is spent chasing people up! It’s been a long 6 weeks, but the bathroom is almost complete. Next job will be the chimney repairs! Today is fencing, finishing off what was started two years ago! Might be scrapping a stud wall idea inside now....seems far too much hassle and expense.

Lol January has been brutal on my body :(
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • Dogs digging stuff up is something I used to have to deal with frequently!!:rotfl: I used to have greyhounds so even raised beds weren't safe ;) I don't have any advice, it just made me smile at the memory :D

House renovations started just before the end of October and will be ongoing for at least another 6 weeks...I've got to admit that there are times I wish I'd never started but keep trying to convince myself that it will be worth it in the end:wall::rotfl:
  • Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi there lovely vegan-type peeps! Newbie forumite here! I was wondering if anyone was planning to grow their own veggies this year, & if so do you have any savvy tips? I've made a list of what seeds to sow when (I follow the moon phase planting system) & am raring to go, just waiting for things to warm up a bit!

Look forward to hearing your views!

Look over on the grow your own board as well, may find it useful
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
  • Hello I would love to join this thread!!

I’m 33 and vegan, I live with a non-vegan (but mostly veggie) hubby and veggie daughter. I’ve been vegan for 2 years :)

I’ve just in the last few weeks started to think about living more ethically and sustainably and cutting down on plastic use etc. It’s such a huge minefield but I’ve been doing it in small steps so far. For example the first big thing I did was stop buying and using disposable cotton pads to clean my face, now I just use a double sided soft muslin cloth and wash it out every couple of days by hand!

Today’s project has been researching ecobricks. It’s an amazing way to use non recyclable plastic. Anyone else do this? I made my first one this afternoon and it was the best feeling ever!!

Look forward to sharing tips :)
    Official DFW Nerd 1390 MFW 0/1800

Competitions won so far: A years free pizza/Eden project trip & hotel stay/Baby gift set/Baby voucher/Baby bottle/Books/Pedometer/Soup and Mug/Dotcom gift bundle
  • Welcome aboard unoriginal_uk!! :D I've never heard of ecobricks - I'll have to google ;)

Not a huge amount to report - made some sticky ginger and chilli 'beef' the other day - even ds - who for some reason objects to vegan food (which is strange as he always likes it and spent the majority of his childhood eating vegan!) - has asked me when I'm making it again and informing me that when I do, I have to make job lots! :rotfl:

I've brought some compost in pots into the house in readiness to plant my tomato seeds - the compost has been outside for so long that it is too cold to plant into! I will have to buy the seeds this weekend unfortunately as I can't locate the ones I thought I had - they may have been lost in the chaos which is my renovations or I may just have imagined that I still had some! :o I also need to get out and prune the berry bushes this weekend - just hoping that the weather holds and I can actually get something done out there ;)
  • Finally bought my tomato and broad bean seeds!!:j I will be starting them off either today or tomorrow as I'll be away for the rest of the week and don't want to leave it any longer :o had a little prune of the berry bushes but got distracted by a variety of other things so will have to sort them next week....

I'm doing a food inventory when I get back too - I really need to start meal planning again properly as my sporadic eating is doing me no favours at all - I dug out my vitamix from the renovation chaos recently and my dehydrator is accessible again so I finally feel like I can get back in control and make the most of what I buy! :D
  • savvy
    Hello I would love to join this thread!!

I’m 33 and vegan, I live with a non-vegan (but mostly veggie) hubby and veggie daughter. I’ve been vegan for 2 years :)

I’ve just in the last few weeks started to think about living more ethically and sustainably and cutting down on plastic use etc. It’s such a huge minefield but I’ve been doing it in small steps so far. For example the first big thing I did was stop buying and using disposable cotton pads to clean my face, now I just use a double sided soft muslin cloth and wash it out every couple of days by hand!

Today’s project has been researching ecobricks. It’s an amazing way to use non recyclable plastic. Anyone else do this? I made my first one this afternoon and it was the best feeling ever!!

Look forward to sharing tips :)
    Hello and welcome ;) Funnily enough, I've been hearing about the plastic in wet wipes, I naively had no idea it was in there! So just invested in some very cheap reuseable make up remover cloths, will try them out at the weekend.

Ah yes eco bricks are a good idea....although I don't need to build anything at the moment lol!
  • Well, I'm back from my adventures and ready this weekend to do a food inventory :D I've started to run out of a few bits and pieces but not enough to bother with another Suma order yet so will have to be a bit more creative than usual (thankfully, I still have plenty of tinned tomatoes though so I'm not going into meltdown! ;) )

I'm going to try to convince ds to build me a temporary raised veggie bed this weekend so I can get a few extra things planted - I had a spaghetti squash a couple of months back and saved the seeds so I'd really like to get them started off soon.

I bought a compost bin for the kitchen recently but haven't used it yet as couldn't find suitable liners for it. However, I have finally found some 'bags' for it which are made from corn starch as opposed to plastic so I will be able to use that now too :T
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback