BT "offer".

Received the below quoted e-mail from BT this morning. Yes, I do have FTTC with them. What's the catch? I suspect they will commence another minimum term contract. It was sent to my BT log in e-mail address but it's missing my current package speed (55/10).

"Hello,
We’re making your broadband faster, for free.
We’ll move you onto a connection that on average, gives customers speeds of 67 Mbps. This is quicker than your current package, which has an average speed of .
With faster speeds you’ll be able to do more online, and use extra devices with a more reliable connection.
What happens next?
• You’ll have your new speeds connected in up to four weeks. You don’t need to do anything, we’ll do it all for you at no extra cost. • Don’t worry if your speed varies as we make the upgrade, this is normal and shouldn’t last longer than two weeks. If you have any questions, click here or call us on 0800 032 4624."

Comments

• 1. BT cannot enter you into a new minimum term contract without your explicit agreement. Nothing in this text points to any contract amendment.

2. Sounds like BT are just copying Sky who did the same thing a few months back. It improves their marketing figures by having more people in the higher speeds.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you follow the link it says there is no new contract but what you have remains.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,076 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    AFAIK there is no catch, no new minimum term, I believe it's Openreach offering CP's the upper tier speed for the same price as the lower tier, there seem to be some customers that are offered this speed increase when they don't achieve 55Mb on the lower tier anyway, (and then complain that they are not getting an increase) , if you check your router stats for the max attainable you should get an idea how close to 80Mb you will get...something else to note is some actually get a slower speed than they were getting on the 55Mb product, before any increase is seen.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,076 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    gsmlnx wrote: »
    1. BT cannot enter you into a new minimum term contract without your explicit agreement. Nothing in this text points to any contract amendment.

2. Sounds like BT are just copying Sky who did the same thing a few months back. It improves their marketing figures by having more people in the higher speeds.

BT started doing this before Sky
  • Thanks for the replies.

I just found it a bit strange and suspicious because it was addressed to "Hello" - no name. Plus there was no indication as to what package I was on already.
    I NEVER click on any links in an e-mail that arrives out of nowhere and addressed to nobody in particular.
    Isn't that the general advice? I'm surprised that someone actually clicked the link.
    My line is capable of the higher speed. I used to receive mid seventies down with Plusnet.
  • colb15
    colb15 Posts: 52 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks for the replies.

I just found it a bit strange and suspicious because it was addressed to "Hello" - no name. Plus there was no indication as to what package I was on already.
    I NEVER click on any links in an e-mail that arrives out of nowhere and addressed to nobody in particular.
    Isn't that the general advice? I'm surprised that someone actually clicked the link.
    My line is capable of the higher speed. I used to receive mid seventies down with Plusnet.

Always good to approach an offer from these companies with suspicion first. :)
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,630 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    gsmlnx wrote: »

BT did it in 2017 for lots of customers - see https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2017/10/bt-gives-broadband-customers-free-speed-upgrades-and-extra-cloud-storage-/

From the OP it seems they are doing it again now for newer customers.. http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56165/c/346?campaign_code=C00003959

There is no change in the contract term or in the price charged.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure