Lady K's savings diary

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Kittikins
    Kittikins Posts: 5,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Wow! Exciting times ahead, I hope it all goes smoothly for you :) Mortgages are so much cheaper than rent, in my experience; although KW and I are in a shared ownership house, so paying both, but only £25 a month more for a big 2 bedroom house with garden and 2 parking spaces than he was paying for a 1 bedroom dump of a flat!
  • truffy
    Options
    Not ready to share saving goals, but maybe I will, there is definitely a fear in numbers people just never seem to want to look at them, writing them down means I can see them, and once they're in front of me maybe can start doing something about them, thanks folks,

Jeremy
  • Ladykernow
    Ladykernow Posts: 286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Wow! I have just read through my first ever post from years ago. I can't believe how much has changed. Nor can I believe the time we are living in right now. I hope everyone is keeping well.
    I'm now 31. I'm still with my partner, and we've been engaged since October 2019. :smile: Getting married next June. We bought our first house in June 2019, which is a new build. It's coming up for our 1 year anniversary very shortly! The savings I had, and the help to buy really helped us to buy a bigger house. We have a 3 bed house and the biggest garden on site (which I will fill with veggies eventually. I have now finished my degree which i'll probably do nothing with. I receive my results in July.
    Our salaries have changed. He is now on £36000, i'm on around £17,800. He is working from home, and I have been furloughed. So of course there will be a drop for me so I have to rely on Mr.
    I'm still a massive womble. We left the garden for months, so we had so many weeds. As i've been off and can do whatever I like (inside the house and in the garden) i've been digging up all the weeds. The site has given us old turf to lay, not enough for the whole garden but it'll do. So fingers crossed it will all grow back! 
    Today i've managed to get my car insurance down by £49, and we have 12 rolls of free turf. 
    My savings goals:
    • save £5000 for the wedding. I have £3680 at the moment. 
    • save £1302 for my emergency fund. I have £522 saved so far. 
    Obviously this will be very hard for me during furlough so I have to just save what I can. If I can't save then I want to make sure the bills are all paid for. 

• savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    Options
    I'm so sorry you are having the job furloughed. Hopefully it will be over soon. Well done on working on your garden. Well done on sorting car insurance and I think you are doing amazing on your savings. In a year's time hopefully the worst of this will be over and we will move from strength to strength. 
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • pinknsparkly
    Options
    hi LadyK, sorry to hear you've been furloughed  :'( As SW says, fingers crossed that you'll be back at work in a month or two and in a years time the country will be in a much stronger position all round! It sounds like you're staying very positive about it all though, which is fab :smiley:

Congratulations on the house, and I'm glad you've been able to make some headway with the garden!
    MFW2023 challenge #99: £1090.11 / £1,000 MFiT-T6 (Jan 2022 - Jan 2025) challenge #99: Reduce mortgage to £400,000. Current balance = £413,551.19 Initial MF date (23rd Aug 2022): Sep 2051 Current MF date: Jul 2051 Last updated: 15/06/2023
  • Ladykernow
    Ladykernow Posts: 286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    I really hope the country comes back stronger than ever. I also hope my bank balance does as well!  :D 
    I'm with admiral and they are giving a £25 refund, very happy with this so i'll be putting that in my emergency fund when that comes through. I put down 5 bits of deadish turf yesterday and painted one panel on our fence. Looking forward to finishing that as it's a bit of a job with so many panels. 
    Today's job is to do 2 panels this morning and do a couple of surveys for my side earnings fund.
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    Hope the turf survives Lady K. I hate fence painting. When I replaced the garden fence I paid extra for tanalised wood. I didn’t paint it and left it just wood which has saved hours of painting. 😊
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    Options
    I admire you painting the panels. That is the one job I haven't even considered yet. Hurrah to new lawn turf and a lovely garden. 
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure