Solar Panel Quote Help! Is This The Right Amount?

Options
2»

Comments

• snoop321
    snoop321 Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 8 February 2019 at 2:43PM
    Options
    I’m West Midlands too. Wonder if we saw the same guy from eon lol

He was a nice bloke called Kam. Had my quote back 4722 for 12 panels q cell 295w 4995 for 14 and get it done before end of fit. What do u guys think? Solar installation company any good?
    Also do I need an epc?
  • remembermee
    Options
    snoop321 wrote: »
    He was a nice bloke called Kam. Had my quote back 4722 for 12 panels q cell 295w 4995 for 14 and get it done before end of fit. What do u guys think? Solar installation company any good?
    Also do I need an epc?

Yup we saw the same guy then. He quotes us higher though. He said it would be qcell panels but documents say JASolar with 11 280w for £5450.
  • Hexane
    Hexane Posts: 520 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I used Red Electrical in Chorley (Lancashire). I don't know if they still travel as far as the West Midlands, nor whether they're now booked up until end of March, but they do seem able to do a complete install in 1 to 2 days, and provide an MCS certificate on the same day as the install finishes.

I submitted my feed in tariff application online on the evening of the day the install finished, Scottish Power then (eventually) recorded me as registered from that date.

Yes you will need an EPC to register for feed in tariff - there are websites you can check if your house already has one that's recent enough.
    7.25 kWp PV system (4.1kW WSW & 3.15kW ENE), Solis inverter, myenergi eddi & harvi for energy diversion to immersion heater. myenergi hub for Virtual Power Plant demand-side response trial.
  • snoop321
    snoop321 Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 13 February 2019 at 10:55PM
    Options
    Hexane wrote: »
    I used Red Electrical in Chorley (Lancashire). I don't know if they still travel as far as the West Midlands, nor whether they're now booked up until end of March, but they do seem able to do a complete install in 1 to 2 days, and provide an MCS certificate on the same day as the install finishes.

I submitted my feed in tariff application online on the evening of the day the install finished, Scottish Power then (eventually) recorded me as registered from that date.

Yes you will need an EPC to register for feed in tariff - there are websites you can check if your house already has one that's recent enough.

Red electrical has good reviews on Google. Just done an online check and have an epc under band d which is OK but expires in October but if I can get someone to install in the next couple of weeks I will get it registered straight away.

Has anyone got any reccomendations on pv monitors that I could hook up so I can see exactly what's bering imported or exported at that time?

My other question is 285 * 14 is around 4.1kw I'm guessing I wouldnt need a dno as the inverter could be capped at 3.68 but on the fit form it ask for full capacity and declared capacity. What would be the correct answer for declared capacity 3.68?
  • mre15
    mre15 Posts: 85 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The fit form has to match the mcs certificate which will declare the 4.1kw, this isn't a problem for the fit though as the band pays the same up to 10kw. It's only the dno that cares about this.

I am using 2 geo minim led version displays to monitor generation and grid supply. I found the ct clamp versions of several monitors to be unreliable, and both my generation meter and grid meter had led pulses so these fitted fine. The geo minim isn't designed as a solar generation monitor but works perfect, just the red and green lights it shows are wrong. Red is good for generation, green bad.
    Works out a lot cheaper than buying dedicated solar pv monitors.
    4.6kWp PV Comprising 16 x Jinko Solar Maxim Optimised 290W panels SSE Facing, Solis Hybrid Inverter and 7.2 kWh Pylontech batteries. Gloucestershire.
  • Zarch
    Zarch Posts: 393 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Has anyone got any reccomendations on pv monitors that I could hook up so I can see exactly what's bering imported or exported at that time?
    I have an emonPi and its fantastic.

https://openenergymonitor.org/

Its accurate out of the box, but you can tweak settings by small amounts to really get it to match your generation meter (and smart meter on the export side).

Yes, its expensive at almost £200, but if you're a data geek then this its well worth looking into.

I tried other (cheaper) CT clamp systems and none of them were any good once you bring Solar into the equation.
    17 x 300W panels (5.1kW) on a 3.68kW SolarEdge system in Sunny Sheffield.
    12kW Pylontech battery storage system with Lux AC controller
    Creator of the Energy Stats UK website and @energystatsuk Twitter Feed
  • snoop321
    Options
    Wow looks great, more than I want to spend to be honest but it may come to that.
    I'm just looking for something simple, so the Mrs can look and turn things on when the panels are generating the most! Anything cheaper?
  • Zarch
    Zarch Posts: 393 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Wow looks great, more than I want to spend to be honest but it may come to that.
    I'm just looking for something simple, so the Mrs can look and turn things on when the panels are generating the most! Anything cheaper?

If you have a SolarEdge invterter you can use their free monitoring app?

https://www.solaredge.com/uk/products/pv-monitoring

Not sure if other inverters have their own app?

Might be a cheap win on the Solar side until you save your pennies for EmonPi. :)
    17 x 300W panels (5.1kW) on a 3.68kW SolarEdge system in Sunny Sheffield.
    12kW Pylontech battery storage system with Lux AC controller
    Creator of the Energy Stats UK website and @energystatsuk Twitter Feed
  • Hexane
    Hexane Posts: 520 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 14 February 2019 at 5:20PM
    Options
    The Solis inverter I use from the Chinese company Ginlong has an option of a wifi stick ("Ginlong Wifi Monitoring System") which connects to your home wireless and then sends data back to their servers. After registering (free) on their system, you can then log in to their website with email and password, about four or five mouse clicks will take you to a graph of current AC Output Power (and temperature and voltage and other things of less interest). They also keep historical data so you can look at your generation in previous months or whatever. I believe there is a mobile phone app you can use to access the same information.

This wifi stick is optional and seems to cost about £50 to £60 but my installer apparently includes it as standard because a system that never gets monitored is a problem waiting to happen if the end user is all ready to submit their FiT readings for payment, only to then realise something stopped working three months ago.

(If so inclined you can also configure the stick to talk back to a monitoring system of your own choice, instead of their servers, for example OpenHAB or a homebrew Raspberry Pi setup.)
    7.25 kWp PV system (4.1kW WSW & 3.15kW ENE), Solis inverter, myenergi eddi & harvi for energy diversion to immersion heater. myenergi hub for Virtual Power Plant demand-side response trial.
  • snoop321
    Options
    Thank for the much needed info guys. I've got no shading so the installer said there doesn't seem much point going for solar Edge as it would put the cost up considerably. The inverter is solax and I do hope they include the free WiFi stick. I have had a quick look they do have a portal to monitor what is being produced. I think I also may need to let my energy supplier know as the installer mentioned the meter may run backwards
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure