New Central Heating Installation

I am currently getting prices for a new central heating install in a two bedroom maisonette (a flat on two floors).

I've had one quote of just over £2900, and just received another a little short of £4500, so quite a difference.

I feel rather in the dark as to how much it should cost, so does either sound ridiculously over or under?

The work will involve a new combi boiler plus supply and fit of 5 radiators, plus removal and disposal of two storage heaters.

The longer version of the story is I originally asked the guy who quoted £2900 to do the work, but he failed to show on the appointed day, so am now looking at other options. Some of the price difference must be due to the first guy being a one-man-band, whereas the second quote was from a local company with shop-front premises.

Comments

• sl_jones
    sl_jones Posts: 68 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm also looking into this as I am just buying a house with the same thing.

Alot of it is around the boiler if you get a cheaper one it reduces the price dramatically. Area is also a factor.

They say it's between 300-500 per radiator depending on the style, so that's almost half of your £4500 quote and maybe he would provide a better or larger boiler.

I think you can definitely get it cheaper though
  • Dan-Dan
    Dan-Dan Posts: 5,272 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    sl_jones wrote: »

I think you can definitely get it cheaper though

Really ?

You say that without ANY knowledge of either the Boiler OP has been quoted nor any knowledge of pipe runs required or indeed any knowledge on Rads specified
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
  • HUMBUG
    HUMBUG Posts: 346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 24 January 2019 at 1:41AM
    My parents boiler was condemned and we've just hired a local reputable plumber as a matter of urgency (my parents are very old so needed to get a new Combi in asap in this freezing weather). Before you make your decision , you need to ask the trader what new building regulations need to be complied with to ensure your new installation is within the law and does not invalidate your boiler warranty.

I have been shocked financially , how much extra I had to pay to conform with new regulations (they change every year).

For example, I had to replace my own condemned boiler 4 years ago and expected a 'like for like' replacement . But there are many new laws , such as visual access to inspect the whole length of the flue, minimum space between boiler and cabinet walls, minimum pressure drops from gas mains to boiler, minimum standards for hot water tank insulation, etc etc etc.

All the above can add 'substantially' to the cost of the installation - such as having to knock kitchen units down , build hatchways to cavities that contain the length of the flue, replace a perfectly working hot water tank (ie. ones with old jacket insulation) with new ones. Then of course you have even more new regulations for combi boilers (check out 'WHICH' articles on the new rules for April 2018).

You must have new boilers installed that are over 93% efficient (which already renders the one I bought 4 years ago effectively non-conforming) but for combi's you must also have 1 of 4 other heat efficiency implements (such as thermostatic valves on every radiator). You can google the other options but the cost we incurred was £100 inc vat per install of Thermostatic & lockshield valve (extra cost was £600)

Then of course you must have minimum pressure drops from the gas mains to your boiler . If that fails , then you must have a new gas pipe laid with the correct thickness from the gas meter to the boiler (ie. that could end up many hundreds of £ extra cost). Sometimes certain Combi's like Worcester Bosch insist on other requirements which can add many more hundreds of pounds to your installation costs (otherwise your 7/10 year warranty could be invalidated). Example being a powerflush which here in NW London can be between £350-500 depending on the plumbing company. Another could be their insistence on the installation of a magnetic filter (of a certain type) to protect the heat exchanger from sludge (another £200).

Your flue must also be certain distances from walls and windows, lengths of flues must also depend on the number of elbow bends they have to make (the costs start to increase rapidly per elbow bend).

Then you may also have mandatory requirements concerning other thermostatic requirements (ie. room thermostats). Any extra rewiring may open up another 'can of worms' where building regs require checks on your electricity to meet certain standards . If it fails , they can shut down your supply until you meet them (there goes your boiler installation unless you fork out another few thousand to have your house rewired first).

There might be new regs connecting copper pipes to lead pipes from your water main . I'm not entirely sure , but I think there is a rule that forces one to replace the lead pipe all the way to the water meter (ie. excavation work outside ) with another type of piping that meets new criteria . The expense for doing this can add another £1000 depending on the layout.

In years gone by , I wouldn't have feared calling out a plumber , gas engineer , electrician to do what I regarded as 'straightforward' work. But now a simple £100 task could end up with your electricity/heating being shut down until one spends many thousands putting it right.

In fact , I wouldn't be surprised if people are just refusing to have their gas/electrical appliances serviced because of that fear. And this means extra risk for all of us that a next door neighbour's boiler could explode or start poisoning people.

There needs to be a bit more flexibility with regards implementation of building regulations . I understand health and safety is non-negotiable but at least provide those who cannot afford the works to be done immediately 'Time To Pay'. I asked the gas engineer if any provisions are made for people who cannot afford or even understand why their heating/hot water/ electricity are being shut down (especially people on low wages, handicapped or very elderly). He nodded his head and said they have to fend for themselves which I find an utter disgrace.
  • longwalks1
    longwalks1 Posts: 3,734 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    We had a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30i supplied and fitted (in same location, in kitchen utility cupboard) and the old tanks in the loft removed and the pipework made good etc, we paid £2,800 last year and got it 3 years interest free credit through EonEnergy (I know the interest was already factored in, we didnt care as still a good price)

Your quotes will vary massively depending on location of the radiators (you didnt say if pipes needed running to them, which means floorboards up etc) or just to replace them in the same locations?
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Thanks for the belated responses, but the installation was all completed satisfactorily last May by a local independent.

In the end I went for a Main Eco Elite 30 boiler and all working great so far.
  • vw100
    vw100 Posts: 306 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Look at this job in more detail, quite a bit of work. Powerflush is the first thing that needs doing - around £300-450 mark. Drain the system, calculate gas pipe size and renew if necessary, change pipe routes or if no change , removal old radiators and install new rads, also change pipe work around the rads to cater for the new size rads if applicable. Specing out a boiler to meet the household requirements, and all the accessories, clock, room thermostat, flue, flue extension. Commissioning and testing the system with certs - otherwise warranty's are not valid. As you can see this is an overview of most of the work. £4500 is the high end for this work I believe.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure