IVA query

Options
Hi,

I am currently going through IVA process.

The creditors meeting will be proposed this week with a meeting taking place between creditors an IP in a couple of weeks.

I currently have a Personal Loan of over £300 a month which is due next week (before Creditors meeting)

Would I be able to cancel the direct debit without making contact with my creditor or should I call the creditor and explain my financial difficulties.

My creditor doesn't have a facility for a 'payment holiday

Thanks in advance

Comments

• mwarby
    mwarby Posts: 2,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd say you should be asking your IP firm this

Personally I'd cancel the direct debit, as for me the IVA was a genuine alternative to bankruptcy, if proposal is accepted the payment won't matter (IP may ask for it to be put into IVA though, so don't go wild with it). If your proposal is rejected you'll need to save for BR fee

If you cancel the direct debit, you should also cancel the direct debits for all creditors, so your not seen as giving any creditor preferential treatment

If you have an overdraft or credit card or any loan with the bank you use for your current account it's also worth moving banks. There is IMHO a lot to be said for not using the switch service, and simply setup direct debits you want to keep(ie those that arent for debts) on the new account

I recall that I phoned or answered phonecalls from the creditor just once or twice and told them of the plan to enter an IVA, any more persistent calls I just blocked the number. The lenders are obliged by the lending code to give you breathing space see page 32 of https://www.bba.org.uk/policy/retail/credit-and-debt/lending-standards-and-guidelines/the-lending-code/
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 4 February 2019 at 11:40PM
    Options
    This is my complaint about some IVA companies, they should of told you to stop paying your debts weeks ago.

If your in the early stages of organising an IVA, then why on earth are you still paying them ?

You need to be saving up an emergency fund, why waste money when in a few days you will potentially be insolvent, has this not been explained to you ?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • The_Nudge
    Options
    Thanks Sourcrates

They said if I can afford to pay then continue to pay until IVA is approved?!

Or I could cancel direct debit and when they ask why, could tell them that I'm going through an IVA?
  • Craig1981
    Craig1981 Posts: 769 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    cancel all your debt payments and give all your creditors your IVA referenc e(which you should have if meeting is happening shortly
  • mwarby
    mwarby Posts: 2,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 February 2019 at 7:40AM
    Options
    The_Nudge wrote: »
    They said if I can afford to pay then continue to pay until IVA is approved?!

There's a strong argument that if you can afford to pay (treating all creditors equally), then an IVA maybe over the top for your debt issues
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure