Quote, misquotes & the truth about my appearance in the ‘Stronger In Europe’ leaflet

Options

Comments

• JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    The point is, people didn't vote for a No Deal Brexit, so pushing one on the people isn't right. People voted for Brexit, but that means vastly different things for different people.
    The only thing this government has achieved in their negotiations is a settlement that suits pretty much no-one.
    Parliament seem unable to agree a plan. But they don't even seem able to agree that they are unable to do this and so call a general election.
    Which means I think it needs to go to the people.

Wording would obviously need to be considered, but I think it should be along these lines.

How should the Brexit situation be resolved?
    * Leave without a deal.
    * Leave on the basis of the PM's deal.
    * Remain in the EU.
    * Have a General Election.

Voting should be using the AV system, so you put down your 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th choice. The option that receives the fewest first choice votes gets eliminated and the votes for them get split according to their second preferences. And again so you are left with a clear winner.
    The result of this referendum should be unambiguous and should be binding on the government.
  • BernardM
    Options
    SICK OF LIES!

SICK OF IT!!

LEAVERS ARE JUST AS SICK OF HOW MANY VOTED TO JOIN THE EU IN 2016.

Tonight traitor MPs took another step to overturn it, what you are witnessing is the continuance of the greatest counter attack on democracy in our lifetime.

London remain voters still don’t see that their great city as a financial centre and the Bank of England will need to be eliminated as a competitor of the New York banks and Wall Street if they ignore the vote and rejoin the EU.
  • JimmyTheWig
    Options
    I don't get what you're saying, I'm afraid.
  • BernardM
    BernardM Posts: 398 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 September 2019 at 12:24AM
    Options
    Ok, 'get' this or this, instead. They have done a nice job explaining things. I agree lock, stock, and barrel. Perhaps we will need to start using them if a democratic vote is ignored for much longer.
  • JimmyTheWig
    Options
    Ok, I get what you're saying.
    I think this is putting far too much emphasis on leaving the EU. We should leave, but not at any cost. It strikes me that this is saying we should support Boris Johnson over Emily Thornberry. I don't believe for one minute that is what Scargill thinks, but it is what it is sounding like here.
    Also, are they implying that immigration is a bad thing? I wasn't impressed with that paragraph!
  • BernardM
    edited 16 September 2019 at 2:26AM
    Options
    No, the economic migration is very bad.

You said 'we should leave', but you still prefer to support Porkie-pie lie Emily who wants to go back into and remain in the EU who somehow claims will honour the vote. Very impressive.
  • JimmyTheWig
    Options
    BernardM wrote: »
    No, the economic migration is very bad.
    So you think that where someone is born should determine where they are allowed to work?
    What, so we can have "British jobs for British workers"? Hmmm.
    You said 'we should leave', but you still prefer to support Porkie-pie lie Emily who wants to go back into and remain in the EU who somehow claims will honour the vote. Very impressive.
    My point is that I'd rather stay in than have a Tory Brexit, designed to increase racism and cut workers rights. There's more to whether I support an MP than whether they fit in a category of "Leave" or "Remain" in a vote that should never have taken place.
  • BernardM
    edited 18 September 2019 at 12:35AM
    Options
    So you do still want to remain in the EU Jimmy, but you do also want us to honour referendum to leave. Ok.

I don’t understand why you only fear racism now just from the result of a vote or for our workers rights, if the Brexit vote is delivered, by a new election winning Tory government.

I fear remaining in an EU that serves Washington and the One Percent.

It serves no one else. The EU is a murderer of sovereignty and peoples. The intent is for the British, French, Germans, Italians, Greeks, Spanish, and all the rest to disappear as peoples. Brexit is the last chance to defeat this hidden agenda.

You also feel that as I agree economic migration is very bad, that you also think that I feel where someone is born should always determine where they also should work or live.

A sensible and fair immigration policy should give priority to asylum seekers, citizens of Commonwealth countries and countries previously “ruled” by Britain limited to the number of people emigrating from Britain each year.

The government and the media continue to brainwash the people of Britain by blaming the massive increase in people coming into Britain as immigrants including people who are seeking asylum from persecution in their own land. There is a fundamental difference between immigration and economic migration from countries who are members of the European Union. The facts dispel this continuing misinformation.

I thought you had read and understood previous posts on this.
  • JimmyTheWig
    Options
    BernardM wrote: »
    So you do still want to remain in the EU Jimmy, but you do also want us to honour referendum to leave. Ok.
    No, I want to leave. Just not at any cost.
    Leave or Remain is not the most important question, which is why I'd support Emily Thornberry over Boris Johnson.

You also feel that as I agree economic migration is very bad, that you also think that I feel where someone is born should always determine where they also should work or live.

A sensible and fair immigration policy should give priority to asylum seekers, citizens of Commonwealth countries and countries previously “ruled” by Britain limited to the number of people emigrating from Britain each year.
    Obviously if immigration needs to be limited it should be prioritised for those who need it most. But I question why it needs to be limited in a free market economy, and why it would be limited to country of birth in a planned economy.
    Why should someone born in Newcastle be entitled to live and work in Dover in preference to someone born in Calais?
  • BernardM
    edited 20 September 2019 at 3:23PM
    Options
    It was the most important question and we decided it 3 years ago for a generation, the crisis we're still going through is being caused by globalisation and membership of the European Union and if people don't understand that, they don't understand politics.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure