Martin's response to Times story about TIF, Holidaysafe and MSE

Comments

• Is the suggestion that Martin has taken commission payments from Holidaysafe correct or not?
    Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
  • Paul_DNAP
    Paul_DNAP Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    edited 20 November 2018 at 6:10PM
    Is the suggestion that Martin has taken commission payments from Holidaysafe correct or not?

It is incorrect to say Martin took commission.

It is correct to say the MSE website uses paid referral links that earns it money, although not strictly a commission as such.

It is incorrect to say that the presence of the product on the information on MSE is in anyway making them or Martin complicit in, or supportive of, or earning money from, the unfair treatment that a small number of their customers have been allegedly receiving.

It would be interesting to know if this company has ever advertised in The Times, or any of their affiliates, or if they have ever mentioned them ever in an article.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    MSE very clearly pushes the point of view, overwhelmingly, that cheaper = better and does collect money from referral links to products that it pushes as the cheapest/give the highest return. It makes specific recommendations of providers solely on the basis that they are the cheapest. In insurance this is particularly dangerous because things like claims payout rates and customer service actually matter far more than if the bank account you tarted to for £100 takes five minutes longer to answer the phone.

You do not get to collect money from the sale of products that you introduced people to, pushed on the explicit basis that they're the cheapest options that provide a "minimum cover criteria" that you decide, giving the tiniest figleaf of caring about suitability and service, and then disclaim responsibility when they don't perform as expected.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I'm surprised that anyone is surprised MSE gets referral money as it has been made clear on numerous occasions. It's what pays for the site.

What matters is whether you think it influences their recommendations which I don't think it does. But make your own mind up.
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Reaper wrote: »
    I'm surprised that anyone is surprised MSE gets referral money as it has been made clear on numerous occasions. It's what pays for the site.

What matters is whether you think it influences their recommendations which I don't think it does. But make your own mind up.

I don't think it influences their recommendations. That's not the issue. The issue is they push !!!!!y products precisely because they're cheap, bag the referral money and then disclaim any responsibility for the outcome.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • What matters is whether you think it influences their recommendations which I don't think it does.

This.

But this pious 'not me guv' attitude that comes across in the article does no-one at MSE any favours.

MSE has, for better or worse, made money of referring people to them. Arguing about what, to most, seems like the minutae of how it's been phrased, comes across as either protesting too much, or milking the story for more publicity for the site.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • I will be using Holidaysafe when next holidaying.
    The Times headline was pure sensationalism and but for it no interest would have been shown in the piece.
    Keep up the good work Martin.
    I fully accept that MSE receives remuneration from various sources.
    Deservedly so.
  • Is Holidaysafe back on your recommend list of travel insurers? I am confused. My friend has had no issues & made successful claims, but have read that you took this firm off your list & would later update readers- but can trace no further updates. xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure