Paying back an advance if uc claim closed

I've had to close my uc claim and will reapply after my last pay has gone in the bank as advised by dwp. However, I got an advance for rent due to a shortfall in my pay this month. How will this get repaid now? Can I ask them to take it out of my new claim? Also, when does the assessment period start? I have read that it starts a week after my claim has been made online. So to not have the pay counted in the assessment period would it it be best to claim this week or the day after the pay has been received? Uc is horrible to get your head round and I'm well confused by it so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 20 March 2019 at 7:16PM
    If you make a new claim within 6 months of closing a claim the assessment period is supposed to remain the same (although I think I remember there was a long thread on that subject previously with one poster saying that is not what happened to them).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • scootw1
    scootw1 Posts: 2,165 Forumite
    Are you saying that the wages would still be counted then as per original assessment period? Not what the guy on the uc helpline told me.

And the advance?
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,789
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    If you close a claim any outstanding advance will get reported to DWP Debt Management. You will then at some point receive a letter asking you to phone Debt Management to come to an arrangement. If you claim UC again, the debt can be collected as a deduction from your UC payments. But it will show as DWP debt repayment, rather than advance.

If you make a reclaim through your online claim within 6 month, the assessment period dates should remain the same.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • calcotti
    Forumite
    scootw1 wrote: »
    Are you saying that the wages would still be counted then as per original assessment period?

That's my understanding of what is supposed to happen if you reclaim within 6 months but, as per previous post, I recall a previous post by a claimant saying that is not what happened to them.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • scootw1
    huckster wrote: »
    If you close a claim any outstanding advance will get reported to DWP Debt Management. You will then at some point receive a letter asking you to phone Debt Management to come to an arrangement. If you claim UC again, the debt can be collected as a deduction from your UC payments. But it will show as DWP debt repayment, rather than advance.

If you make a reclaim through your online claim within 6 month, the assessment period dates should remain the same.

If that's correct then there was no point closing the claim then and the payment will now be delayed further.
  • huckster
    Forumite
    edited 20 March 2019 at 7:36PM
    If you claim within one month of the claim closure, the assessment start date of the reclaim, will be what the date would have been .

So for example let us say your last assessment period was 16/2/19 to 15/3/19. You then closed the claim from 22/3/19 You decided on 30/3/19 to reopen the claim. The reclaim assessment period would be from 16/3/19.

I think it is done this way, so people are stopped from closing a claim as they know they have a wage packet coming in, they don't want UC to consider. Then as soon as the wages have gone into their Bank, they then make reclaim, thinking the wages are not going to be considered.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • calcotti
    Forumite
    edited 20 March 2019 at 7:39PM
    If you claim within one month of the claim closure, the assessment start date of the reclaim, might well be what the date would have been.

As per my previous posts I believe the relevant period is 6 months.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/universal-credit-different-earning-patterns-and-your-payments/universal-credit-different-earning-patterns-and-your-payments-payment-cycles#claiming-universal-credit-within-6-months-of-your-previous-claim-ending
    8. Claiming Universal Credit within 6 months of your previous claim ending
    If you qualify for Universal Credit again, you will continue to keep the same monthly assessment period as you had in your previous claim.

Speak to your work coach if there is a gap in your Universal Credit payments and you need help to budget and manage your money more effectively.

You will need to claim Universal Credit online again. When you log in to your online account, the claim will show your circumstances on the date you last got Universal Credit.

You just need to confirm that the details in your account are correct to claim again automatically.
  • scootw1
    If you claim within one month of the claim closure, the assessment start date of the reclaim, will be what the date would have been .

So for example let us say your last assessment period was 16/2/19 to 15/3/19. You then closed the claim from 22/3/19 You decided on 30/3/19 to reopen the claim. The reclaim assessment period would be from 16/3/19.

I think it is done this way, so people are stopped from closing a claim as they know they have a wage packet coming in, they don't want UC to consider. Then as soon as the wages have gone into their Bank, they then make reclaim, thinking the wages are not going to be considered.
    Which means the dwp misled me as they advised me to do just that for that reason as I would have ended up with no money at all so one wage to last me two months ( and a reduced wage at that).
  • huckster
    Forumite
    calcotti wrote: »
    As per my previous posts I believe the relevant period is 6 months. I will try and find a reference to back this up.

Yes a UC claim after closure remains in a reclaim mode for 6 months, so within 6 months any reclaim keeps the same assessment period.
  • calcotti
    Forumite
    scootw1 wrote: »
    Which means the dwp misled me ...

The DWP have a reputation......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure