ESA Savings Deductions

As far as I can tell, I am in the contributions based support group.

A few months ago I got a payout of a few K due to a mistake they've been making since 2013.
This wasn't as much as it could have been, because of my savings which are over 6k.
Also I am having money deducted each week because of my savings.

Is this right, for contributions based support group? I've heard and been told that savings are irrelevant for this group.

Their letter says I have a "total income related amount" that is £127. It comprises "living expenses", "disability income guarantee" and "support group".

This "total income related amount" is reduced by £16 a week due to savings. This would total £111

But then they say "because you are entitled to contribution based ESA we will pay you £112"

Can anyone make head or tail of this?

Comments

• sportsarb
    sportsarb Posts: 1,069
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yes, they pay you £112 because you are in receipt of contribution based ESA. If you weren't in receipt of that, and only in receipt of Income Based, you would get £111.
  • Thanks but I am still having £15 a week deducted because of savings..
    Is the "enhanced disability premium" seperate from contribution ESA, so that can be entirely deducted due to savings?
  • sportsarb
    Forumite
    Your ESA(C) is made up of £73.10 and the Support Group. Nothing else is payable on ESA(C) so that is your ~£112.

The £73.10, Support Group and EDP are the ~£127, but reduced to ~£111 because of your savings.
  • Thanks. I am on ESA due to mental health issues and probably because ESA is enough stress (and their repeated medical assessments) and I can just about squeek with what they pay, i've never tried to apply for PIP. Does PIP also require repeated assessments or is it a one time thing? Is it also effected by savings? Thankyou
  • sportsarb
    Forumite
    There are regular assessments for PIP but it is not affected by savings.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,366
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    Back payment of benefits should be disregarded for 12 months. If the deduction is due to that, and it was received less than 12 months ago, you need to contact ESA to get things corrected.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Just to clarify this further. ESA (old style) is one benefit with two types of entitlement. If you are entitled to contribution based ESA this establishes a base amount which is unaffected by other income (with some exceptions) and/or savings.

DWP will still calculate your entitlement to an income based ESA which does take into account your income and savings. The maximum possible income based entitlement before adjustment will be higher than the contribution based entitlement.

You are then paid the higher of the adjusted income based entitlement or contribution based entitlement.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure