PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What couldn’t you live without in your home?

Options
My lovely team at work gave me a £75 gift card for Lakeland as a housewarming gift and I’m looking for ideas for what to use it on. I love Lakeland and browsing the shop/website, though with kitchen bits by kitchen is pretty full and tiny so I can’t really get anything for that.
So, I’m wondering what you bought when setting up your house when you first bought it and what you have found you really can’t live without?
I should say I’ve already purchased the Lakeland heated airer which is great! So don’t need that 😬

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Pressure cooker or slow cooker? Decent set of knives? Or a set of wine or other glasses?

I can't live without a small sharp knife as I struggle using proper carving knives etc.

When I got my first rental I hit the charity shops, bargain pages and jumble sales to kit it out.

When my ex got his house again I hit charity shops but purchased new white goods.

Recently I moved flats to an unfurnished one, bar white goods, and kitted it out with charity shop furniture and a nice new bed / mattress they had.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    From Lakeland? Nothing, and I say that based purely on the grounds on economy. There is little that cannot be found elsewhere (incluidng the chaz) of equal if not better quality.

I know it's the thought that counts and agree your workmates have been generous, but giving vouchers rather than the same amount in cash helps no one but Lakeland.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,510 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The best thing I bought from Lakeland is definitely this

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/24909/Dry%3ASoon-Deluxe-3-Tier-Heated-Airer

Saved me a fortune in tumble dryer cost over winter
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • happydays89
    happydays89 Posts: 304 Forumite
    Options
    I like their artificial flowers,their daffodils look real. I have had mine for years and they they still look new.

Air fryers are great,I use mine like an oven,you can cook virtually anything in them.
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If someone gave me £75 to spend in Lakeland i would get an electric blanket or an electric overblanket. Or maybe a new pan or 2 or a remoska cooker. Lucky you enjoy spending your voucher.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Options
    Islandmaid wrote: »
    https://www.lakeland.co.uk/24909/Dry%3ASoon-Deluxe-3-Tier-Heated-Airer

Saved me a fortune in tumble dryer cost over winter

Would be profoundly concerned as to where the moisture from the clothes was actually going. John Lewis is telling me that my heat pump tumble dryer costs £25/yr to run although the initial cost is pretty high.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Options
    Pressure cooker? Decent set of knives?

A £75 deposit towards a decent set of knives? Is it even possible to get a pressure cooker, decent or otherwise for £75?
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,692 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 17 March 2019 at 8:28PM
    Options
    Would be profoundly concerned as to where the moisture from the clothes was actually going. John Lewis is telling me that my heat pump tumble dryer costs £25/yr to run although the initial cost is pretty high.

I use one of these, in the spare room with the window open, I can honestly say there is no mould on the walls, it drys my trousers and woollens beautifully.

I love lakeland, I love their quality. I recently bought a butter dish that I paid about £20 for. But it was exactly what I wanted. Dish at the bottom and a lid.
    I also bought a silicone tray. It does 12 individual oblong shapes.
    It can be expensive, but whatever you choose to buy should last.
    Why not get something that you love and will keep, and will make you think of your friends?
    A decent casserole dish, a mixing bowl, a bread bin. Have a look through the online catalogue.
    Happy spending x
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,510 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options

Behave....

Never had an issue, and as for your comment about a deposit on a decent set of knives, please bare in mind that the OP is just setting out, having the best of the best is not within the grasp of most when starting out. A half decent heat pump dryer is a grand minimum upfront :eek: not within a starter budget

Post was about how to best spend a lovely £75 gift not to be slated for not having enough
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • Mr_Singleton
    Options
    JIL wrote: »
    I use one of these, in the spare room with the window open, I can honestly say there is no mould on the walls, it drys my trousers and woollens beautifully.

I formulated a lot of my ideas on what to buy and not buy during my student day. Still remember people trying to save money at the laundrette by draping clothes over radiators only to end up with black mould up the walls or condensation all over the windows. Aerating rooms during the winter just let all the heat out and negated any savings.

Anyway back to the OP..... after a decent washing machine/tumble dryer/dishwasher I’d get some decent knives probably £75+ each and decent pans. Still use my trusty first set of Mauviel around £100/pan but will out last me as will the knives!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure