Emirates Refuse to Wave My Cancellation Fee, is there anything i can do?

Options
Basically, I’ve been trying to find a reasonably priced ticket for my girlfriend to come and visit me here in the UK in the Japanese holiday 'Golden Week'. I’ve been using the usual sites, Skyscanner etc and I thought I’d found a reasonable deal at around the £870 mark, not great but better then £1400. So, I quickly smashed through the website to get it all booked.

To my horror when I sent the confirmation email to my girlfriend she pointed out I’d got the dates wrong... I rang customer services immediately and they said they can change the dates for no charge since I called so quickly, I just have to pay the difference in actual flight cost. They then told me that the dates I wanted were another £880, so basically double the price I’d paid. Obviously, I then had to request a cancellation, they then informed me that yes, I can cancel but they refused to wave the cancellation fee of £200.

I agree that it was my mistake, but the whole point of the cancellation charge is to cover them should the seat be cancelled and not filled/there admin for the cancellation. However, given that I informed them of the mistake and cancelled the ticket within minutes of my booking I feel that its extremely unfair to charge me a 20% fee.

I’ve phoned their customer services multiple times and complained via the website and social media. They replied on Facebook, but then reverted to their standard mantra of hiding behind the terms and conditions. Surely there must be a way to stop them from robbing me of £200, the cost isn’t even cleared, and Halifax refuse to block pending transactions, so I don’t know what else I can do. If this was something id bought in a shop it’s the equivalent of noticing you bought the wrong size at the checkout, going back to look for the size you want, it being out of stock and the retailer refusing to give you a full refund.

I though Emirates and the high-class liners were supposed to be better than Ryanair, but they are no better. I’ve also been a Skywards member for 5 years completing at least 10 return trips to the far east, clearly as we all know loyalty means nothing and simple human mistakes are unforgivable, and companies can simply hind behind terms and conditions with no accountability. Sorry for the rant… It’s still very frustrating…

Comments

• Murphy_The_Cat
    Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    check, check, then check again, before hitting the "buy now" button.

A (relatively) inexpensive lesson learnt.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    T1m2k2 wrote: »
    the whole point of the cancellation charge is to cover them should the seat be cancelled and not filled/there admin for the cancellation.

Not really.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    They have actually been very generous in only charging £200. Many airlines can, and do, charge the whole ticket price in event of a cancellation.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can complain to the airline, and ultimately you can write to the CEO and hope that that produces a change of heart. I would write a letter setting out what you want and why you feel it is unfair for you to be charged the fee that you agree you are liable to pay. I've done so in the past and always got some sort of deal that was better than the one initially offered.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • etienneg
    etienneg Posts: 468 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well, as tacpot12 says, you could write and ask for a better deal than you have been offered. There's precious little to lose in doing so. However, if you intend to try this route I suggest you step down from your soap box and adopt a conciliatory tone. After all, you would be trying to get them (at least partially) on your side rather than annoying them.

For example, using a phrase such as "hiding behind the terms and conditions" implies they are in the wrong (when clearly they are not). T&Cs are just what you have agreed to - even if you didn't bother to read them. If the boot were on the other foot, I bet you wouldn't hesitate to use the T&Cs to make your point. Politeness costs nothing.
  • The_Fat_Controller
    Options
    Basically.

You messed up.

Accept it.
  • Forwandert
    Forwandert Posts: 1,211 Forumite
    Options
    T1m2k2 wrote: »
    . If this was something id bought in a shop it’s the equivalent of noticing you bought the wrong size at the checkout, going back to look for the size you want, it being out of stock and the retailer refusing to give you a full refund.

Not quite an equivalent as you had purchased so got passed the check out. In that situation you still wouldnt be allowed a refund unless the shop offered more than your statutory rights
  • Heliflyguy
    Heliflyguy Posts: 932 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    waamo wrote: »
    They have actually been very generous in only charging £200. Many airlines can, and do, charge the whole ticket price in event of a cancellation.

No they have not been very generous. The ticket clearly had a cancellation option in the rules otherwise they could of kept the whole amount and refunded the tax less no doubt a feed

They could have since the OP called within minutes of booking voided the ticket and that would have been great customer service but not even generous. You don't take someone's money and.be described as very generous.
  • mattyprice4004
    mattyprice4004 Posts: 7,492 Forumite
    Options
    I have highlighted the important parts:
    So, I quickly smashed through the website to get it all booked.

Whoops! A mistake on your part - but be thankful they'll refund at all. Ryanair etc don't - so I don't understand why you're comparing the two.

In short, be angry at yourself and do less 'smashing' next time - read the site before hitting the magic button.
    At least you know why the tickets were cheaper than £1400! :D
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Been there done that. Once book the return for the wrong month on a holiday (February and March looked the same!). I did notice months before my flight, but I had to swallow the £3-£400 charge to change the flight. My mistake, just like this is yours. Be glad it's only £200.

Expensive lesson learned. You won't be doing that in the future
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport