Inconsistent water usage

Options
Up until last summer our water usage has always averaged out at about 250 litres of water per day over a six month period, for a number of years.

Last summer our bill for the previous six months averaged out at 350 litres of water per day. We were (frugal family of 4) horrified and checked everywhere for leaks. We identified that the toilet was overfilling so adjusted the ball !!!! and reminded everyone to only flush when necessary. We thought we had fixed the problem.

Six months later our average usage was still 330 litres per day. Again we checked for leaks. The outside water meter definitely does not move when no water is running and we could find no evidence of leaks anywhere. Again, reminded everyone to only flush when necessary, shower rather than bath etc.

I cannot understand how our water usage can increase by approximately 80 litres of water a day. We haven't had any visitors staying with us and do not water gardens or wash cars.

A month later I checked the meter again and took a reading and in that month we've averaged 250 litres of water a day. I'm not sure what has changed, I don't think anything has or at least not by 80 litres a day. I realise now I should have been reading the meter and submitting the readings frequently and from now on I will check it every month.

Is there likely to be any explanation for the huge increase in water usage or is it just one of those things and I should move on?
Debt Free: 01/01/2020

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    A worn ball c0ck can be 'hit or miss' i.e. after one flush it closes properly and shuts off the water; after another flush it can stick down and the water doesn't shut off completely.

Do you have a header tank in the loft? That also has a ball c0ck
  • Jami74
    Jami74 Posts: 1,017 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    A worn ball c0ck can be 'hit or miss' i.e. after one flush it closes properly and shuts off the water; after another flush it can stick down and the water doesn't shut off completely.

Do you have a header tank in the loft? That also has a ball c0ck

Thank-you. We have a tank which heats up the water behind some panels in the bathroom. It's awkward to get to but we looked a couple of years ago because we could hear dripping. We'll have another look at that and see if it need adjusting.
    Debt Free: 01/01/2020
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Jami74 wrote: »
    Thank-you. We have a tank which heats up the water behind some panels in the bathroom. It's awkward to get to but we looked a couple of years ago because we could hear dripping. We'll have another look at that and see if it need adjusting.

Besides the hot water tank, you should have a cold water tank in the attic. This tank is fed by the mains water and has a ballc0ck to shut off the water when the tank is full. With a torch you can see the overflow hole in the tank and the pipe that runs to ???
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure